Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

No mystery how UGA's offense was exposed...

MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been saying this for months--Fromm (and by extension, the Uga offense) is susceptible to defensive coordinators who (1) provide new, not-seen-before looks and (2) disguise coverages in their pre-snap looks. Fromm is by all accounts a student of the game and preparation. This generally serves him well...except when it is used against him by DCs who use this preparation against him. In such cases, Fromm's pre-snap analysis (and related audibles, etc) actually backfires.

In such cases, Fromm's confusion manifests itself in the following ways:

(1) Automatically throwing to the wrong, covered player, while missing the "open" player (this was a more common outcome last year) OR

(2) Recognizing the change in scheme but still failing to quickly react...such that he holds the ball forever and gets sacked, pressured (this is more common this year as Fromm has "progressed" to the extent that he has been trained against the risky throw).

Good thing for UGA is that frequently we don't face teams that have the ability and sophistication to change, disguise coverages AND have talented enough personnel who are able to cover all our WRs and rush the passer against UGA's talent. Bad thing is that the best teams that we will face (including Alabama) definitely do.

This is a challenge for Fromm and the coaching staff that can be overcome. Opportunities still present themselves and Fromm is progressing (slowly) to improve his in-play coverage reading....but he MUST be accurate with his throws. Obviously, he was not accurate on Saturday, which exacerbated all of these issues.

Comments

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coaching problem. Something about the air or water in sports facilities that make any of their coaches oblivious to keep on playing the hot hand. National Championship game last year, Alabama could not stop Michel, however, Georgia decided to keep using Chubb. Super Bowl with the Falcons and Pats. Pats defense could not stop Coleman, but they still chose to run the ball with Freeman. Same with the LSU game...

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@DawgsofWar said:
    Coaching problem. Something about the air or water in sports facilities that make any of their coaches oblivious to keep on playing the hot hand. National Championship game last year, Alabama could not stop Michel, however, Georgia decided to keep using Chubb. Super Bowl with the Falcons and Pats. Pats defense could not stop Coleman, but they still chose to run the ball with Freeman. Same with the LSU game...

I'll have to re-watch the game but LSU started bringing more pressure to the interior of the LOS. I'm guessing Jake read this and adjusted to pass as a counter measure.
    The interior of our OL was losing the battle much of the game. I'm interested in figuring out what adjustments LSU made to get more pressure inside, that was where they changed the game. Not only did it take away much of our inside running, it forced Jake out of the pocket, which is when he became blind to everything to his left.
    If Fromm had been able to see his open receivers to his left and got the ball to them, it would have been a very different game.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:

You've hit a nerve with me re the NC game. I will never forget that helpless, frustrating feeling at the Benz....seeing Michel on the bench, while we repeatedly ran Chubb up the middle in the 4th quarter. Still get angry thinking about that game. Unless, Michel was too injured to play, I will never understand this.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@DawgsofWar said:

You've hit a nerve with me re the NC game. I will never forget that helpless, frustrating feeling at the Benz....seeing Michel on the bench, while we repeatedly ran Chubb up the middle in the 4th quarter. Still get angry thinking about that game. Unless, Michel was too injured to play, I will never understand this.

Considering sony’s Medical at the combine and preseason injury I’m going to assume he was less than 100% that game

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@DawgsofWar said:

Considering sony’s Medical at the combine and preseason injury I’m going to assume he was less than 100% that game

I agree and there were other things that got under my skin more during that game.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:

I know... it's like they see what's working and then decide to do everything but. Swift has been a nightmare for teams coming out of the backfield and what does Chaney do... abandon it. Makes no sense.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    I've been saying this for months--Fromm (and by extension, the Uga offense) is susceptible to defensive coordinators who (1) provide new, not-seen-before looks and (2) disguise coverages in their pre-snap looks. Fromm is by all accounts a student of the game and preparation. This generally serves him well...except when it is used against him by DCs who use this preparation against him. In such cases, Fromm's pre-snap analysis (and related audibles, etc) actually backfires.

(1) Automatically throwing to the wrong, covered player, while missing the "open" player (this was a more common outcome last year) OR

(2) Recognizing the change in scheme but still failing to quickly react...such that he holds the ball forever and gets sacked, pressured (this is more common this year as Fromm has "progressed" to the extent that he has been trained against the risky throw).

Good thing for UGA is that frequently we don't face teams that have the ability and sophistication to change, disguise coverages AND have talented enough personnel who are able to cover all our WRs and rush the passer against UGA's talent. Bad thing is that the best teams that we will face (including Alabama) definitely do.

This is a challenge for Fromm and the coaching staff that can be overcome. Opportunities still present themselves and Fromm is progressing (slowly) to improve his in-play coverage reading....but he MUST be accurate with his throws. Obviously, he was not accurate on Saturday, which exacerbated all of these issues.

Dude, any offense is susceptible to Dave Aranda and the LSU defense playing in front of a home crowd, not just Fromm and our offense. @DawgsofWar hit the nail on the head, coaching. Gotta put guys in a position to succeed and that didn't happen/wasn't executed. The fact that Swift and Holyfield had a COMBINED 19 carries tells me everything I need to know. They averaged 6.5 ypc so its not like they were stopping that combo. Aranda forced Chaney's hand and we got exposed. Showed a lack of trust if anything IMO

@JRT812 said:

@Kasey said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@DawgsofWar said:

I agree and there were other things that got under my skin more during that game.

I think you guys are getting into a bit of a mindset like the base did with Richt.
    We almost won a national title against the most dominant program, let's not drag out every disappoint and bludgeon Kirby with it whenever something doesn't go our way.
    There are real current issues, but they have nothing to do with the result of that game.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@Kasey said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@DawgsofWar said:

I think you guys are getting into a bit of a mindset like the base did with Richt.
    We almost won a national title against the most dominant program, let's not drag out every disappoint and bludgeon Kirby with it whenever something doesn't go our way.
    There are real current issues, but they have nothing to do with the result of that game.

I guess... I was just responding to Kasey’s comment which had to do with that game.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

Dude, any offense is susceptible to Dave Aranda and the LSU defense playing in front of a home crowd, not just Fromm and our offense. @DawgsofWar hit the nail on the head, coaching. Gotta put guys in a position to succeed and that didn't happen/wasn't executed. The fact that Swift and Holyfield had a COMBINED 19 carries tells me everything I need to know. They averaged 6.5 ypc so its not like they were stopping that combo. Aranda forced Chaney's hand and we got exposed. Showed a lack of trust if anything IMO

This wasn't a one-game only, Dave Aranda-only observation. Fromm has missed throwing to open WRs and has taken bad sacks on a number of occasions this year. However, against inferior competition and talent, we've gotten away with these mental mistakes. However, I will say that Fromm's uncharacteristic inaccuracy in this particular game was an unexpected failure.

Kirby addressed the failure to stick with the run in some of his comments to the media. Basically that LSU adjusted their defense to prevent some of Georgia's early success on the ground. 2 of the 3, three and out drives that followed the fake FG consisted of Run, Run, Pass. But I generally agree, playcalling (or perhaps checks into passes out of runs, caused by disguising D?) was problematic.

We shall see how Aranda and LSU defense (and home crowd) negatively affect Alabama's offense in a few weeks.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The fake FG was a momentum changer but let's not forget that the whole drive was run, run..... until we got stopped on first and 10 from the 15 then went to 2 throws directed at Mecole with Godwin wide open on the first. That tells me that Fromm decided pre-snap to go to Mecole. This is a familiar pattern.

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

This wasn't a one-game only, Dave Aranda-only observation. Fromm has missed throwing to open WRs and has taken bad sacks on a number of occasions this year. However, against inferior competition and talent, we've gotten away with these mental mistakes. However, I will say that Fromm's uncharacteristic inaccuracy in this particular game was an unexpected failure.

Kirby addressed the failure to stick with the run in some of his comments to the media. Basically that LSU adjusted their defense to prevent some of Georgia's early success on the ground. 2 of the 3, three and out drives that followed the fake FG consisted of Run, Run, Pass. But I generally agree, playcalling (or perhaps checks into passes out of runs, caused by disguising D?) was problematic.

We shall see how Aranda and LSU defense (and home crowd) negatively affect Alabama's offense in a few weeks.

Bama's downfield passing game has easily been the best in CFB this year, that's in stark contrast to ours'.
    LSU will have a harder time taking that away from them. The Tigers will likely be forced to thin their defense near the LOS or Tua and Bama's WRs will torch them.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg1419 said:
    I would of kept giving holyfield the rock till they stopped it.

It kills me when a team goes away from something that hasn't been stopped

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rewatching the game right now. Only down ten and marching but then Fromm takes the costly sack. Lost all the momentum and the tired defense came back out and that was ball game. Just got **** afterwards.
    Bad game, flush it and move on to beat UF

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm is a pure pocket passer who does not throw well on the run at all. You hear NFL d coordinators talk about “getting the qb off his spot”. Well, that strategy is very effective against Fromm.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Fromm is a pure pocket passer who does not throw well on the run at all. You hear NFL d coordinators talk about “getting the qb off his spot”. Well, that strategy is very effective against Fromm.

I would say Fields is good at passing while running, but coach won't let me see much of this :D:'(

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@Dawg1419 said:
    I would of kept giving holyfield the rock till they stopped it.

It kills me when a team goes away from something that hasn't been stopped

Have they not seen John Riggins in the super bowl versus Miami. Down at the half I knew the Redskins would win by keep running Riggins behind Jacobi and Grimm. Apologies to the youthful one's among us. PS I was watching from England at the time.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm missed some open receivers but don’t forget LSU missed two long throws that would prob been td’s

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:

@greygoose01 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

I would say Fields is good at passing while running, but coach won't let me see much of this :D:'(

He's saving it for the second half of the NCG. Like the 31 year old virgin that's saving himself for

Lol, now that’s funny!