Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Anyone see/read this article on Vince Dooley?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/vince-dooley-life/

not exactly short but really interesting read

Comments

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

one last bump, good article

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:
    one last bump, good article

I'm glad you enjoyed it. But to me, I read like a third of it and was like, "why the hell am I reading this?" It's just a nostalgia piece. Like if you're really fond of Dooley, like hearing harp strings strummed, and don't know much about the guy, you will probably really enjoy that piece. You won't learn anything about the way the world works. But you will get to sit there and " bond" with the story of Dooley for a little while if you want to.

@levander .... totally understandable that you get bored reading... I get the same feeling about some threads on here. It's a story about the man who really brought UGA football back to where it should be, that's all. We were becoming a raisin on the grape fine until showed up. And although he only won 1 MNC, i hate to think were we would be today without him. Probably along the south carolina/Kentucky standard.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg I like Dooley and still resent Adams for firing him, especially when you consider the lackluster AD's he replaced him with. But is there any other school in the nation with as much in-state talent, and no other home state school really competing for it? At some point in my lifetime, UGA is gonna bust out as more than the national also ran it is now and become a national powerhouse. All the ingredients are there. Whether or not it's with Kirby, I'm hopeful, but wouldn't put more money on it than I could afford to lose.

Just don't see Dooley as the saving grace for Georgia as Spurrier was for Florida or Bear for Alabama. Those schools don't have the natural advantages that UGA does.

edited August 2017

@levander. You are absolutely correct in your comparison of Dooley to Spurrier and Bryant. However if you look at the years preceding Dooley, minus the one 10-1 season, it was abysmal. As for the fertile recruiting grounds, that wasn't there during most of Dooley' s career. The state of Georgia didn't become the recruiting area that it is today until the mid 80s. That would have been the tail end of Dooley's career. He anchored a job for over 20 years that most wouldnt have taken when he started. His biggest down fall was his 3 yds and a cloud of dust mentality.