Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jalen Hurts

corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was just looking at 24/7's link about the transfer portal and I saw that they only had Jalen Hurts as a 4 star transfer at a .9700. What more does this kid have to do to be listed as a 5 star? Also of note he who will not be named got moved from a .9998 to a 1.000 with basically doing nothing all year in Athens.

Comments

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While I agree with the sentiment in the OP. I understand why Jalen’s not a 5\*. The idea behind 5\* is that you’re predicted to go in the first round of the draft. Are we expecting Jalen to do that?

The reason most aren’t expecting him to is his lack of passing ability. But I thought he passed pretty **** well in the SECCG. While he’s been riding the pine, it looks to me like he’s been working on his passing game. And it’s why I love that he decided to transfer to OU. Can’t hide a weak arm running that offense. He’s challenging himself to do things people don’t think he can do. I love it. Gives us something interesting to see how it turns out.

The Justin thing with him being a 1.000 now though... Kid was the worst tuck and runner I’ve seen in a long time. What I’m hoping for is Justin doesn’t get his waiver (no real good reason for him to get one) and it’s a wasted year for the whole team in Columbus, And then the year after that Justin flops, like so many 5\*’s do, The whole thing could be so bad HC Day loses his job. Rarely do I root against individual kids. But Justin has earned a special place in my heart.

• BigDawgHuntinBigDawgHuntin Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

Their name should tell you all you need to know about them: 2+4=7.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander "Are we expecting Jalen to do that?"

Not a chance.

Well, Lincoln Riley’s not a dummy. He’s got some kind of an idea for Jalen. And his team isn’t built for a run-first style of attack.

Come fall we’ll find out what his plan is.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have read where Riley considers his offense to most importantly, a running threat. Seems odd. Gus says the same about his offense. Maybe some experts (Ollie or the other guy who breaks down UGA film) can chime in.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gus and Riley are both successful at the running game. Riley is very successful. Both usually have good o-lines.

The difference between them and teams like Georgia and Alabama is that their running game is set up because through the passing game and tempo.

Georgia and Alabama can typically run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows they are going to run. Don't know that OU can do that.

It also helps OU playing in the Big 12 because defenses (other than TCU) are set up, both scheme and personnel, to stop the pass.

Seems to me that Jalen will have to throw well for OUs offense to work.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember Gary Danielson saying once that Auburn’s offense is essentially a triple option, except there’s a pass as one of the options. Don’t know if he’d say the same about OU. I think it’s clear Jalen has worked on his passing game, but I wonder how successful he would have been in the SECCG if 15 had been in. That was a huge difference for us.

edited February 2019

Walker doesn’t go down we win that game. There were a lot of breaks that didn’t go Geogia’s way that easily could have. Bama fumbling the ball theee times only to bounce directly back into their hands all three times?

I wasn’t trying to blow Jalen’s performance out of proportion like the national media did. But Jalen did pass notably better than I thought he would.

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those three fumbles were potentially game changers, IMO.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Game changers indeed

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I did not think that the stars changed once a player was signed to a team. The points they get scored out with (9.750 etc.) can change from game to game and season to season.

• SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Honestly don't see Jalen going to the NFL as a QB unless he lights it up at Oklahoma. May see him play in the AAF after college.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fields is a perfect recruit now? Why not sit out all of college and train for the NFL then?

Which is why it’s so brilliant he’s going to Oklahoma. Everybody is questioning Jalen’s ability to pass. Oklahoma gives Jalen the opportunity to shut them all up and get drafted.

He could blow it. But just taking an easy ride where they run a lot wouldn’t get him into the NFL either, Jalen has nothing to lose and everything to gain by going to Oklahoma. Going to a run-first school, he’d have nothing to lose but nothing to gain either.