Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Tell A Fairy Tale Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NATIONAL TELL A FAIRY TALE DAY

What was your favorite fairy tale as a child. They have a very interesting history if one is interested and willing to take the time to read about their origins. Since it is national TELL a fairy tale day, can any of you create one for this board having to do with the Dawgs, or maybe better, one or more of our rivals?

It's also National Spay Day. Ouch. And we've had such nice days for our pets lately. This one hurt to even think about.

Finally, it's National Pistachio day. Called the smiling nut in the Middle East and the happy nut in China. A very healthy nut, it may help reduce the chances of heart disease. There are reports of pistachio trees that are over 700 years old in Iran. For those of you who camp, the empty shells make wonderful tinder for starting fires, especially when used with paper.

Comments

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once upon a time all the Auburn Athletic teams played fair.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is it me, or are there not enough fairies in fairy tales? Sigh!

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love pistachios! Hate the red dye. Get the reg ones. Fairy tales? I always liked Jack and the Bean Stalk. Is that a fairy tale? Or Hansel n Gretel

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chicken Little?

No, I'm a little sick of that.

Of course, it's Little Red Riding Hood.

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, lived people who actually called themselves Georgia Tech fans.

• OldSaltyDawgFanOldSaltyDawgFan Posts: 220 ✭✭✭ Junior

Once upon a time college athletics was free of cheating and intrusive corporate interests........

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When was that?

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once upon a time a state was carved out of the wilderness. They decided to call it Georgia and the Dawgs have run it ever since!

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure this is a fairy tale but it made me and my son laugh the first time we heard it. The author is Patrick Rothfuss

Once upon a time,” I began. “There was a little boy born in a little town. He was perfect, or so his mother thought. But one thing was different about him. He had a gold screw in his belly button. Just the head of it peeping out. “Now his mother was simply glad he had all his fingers and toes to count with. But as the boy grew up he realized not everyone had screws in their belly buttons, let alone gold ones. He asked his mother what it was for, but she didn’t know. Next he asked his father, but his father didn’t know. He asked his grandparents, but they didn’t know either. “That settled it for a while, but it kept nagging him. Finally, when he was old enough, he packed a bag and set out, hoping he could find someone who knew the truth of it. “He went from place to place, asking everyone who claimed to know something about anything. He asked midwives and physickers, but they couldn’t make heads or tails of it. The boy asked arcanists, tinkers, and old hermits living in the woods, but no one had ever seen anything like it. “He went to ask the Cealdim merchants, thinking if anyone would know about gold, it would be them. But the Cealdim merchants didn’t know. He went to the arcanists at the University, thinking if anyone would know about screws and their workings, they would. But the arcanists didn’t know. The boy followed the road over the Stormwal to ask the witch women of the Tahl, but none of them could give him an answer. “Eventually he went to the King of Vint, the richest king in the world. But the king didn’t know. He went to the Emperor of Atur, but even with all his power, the emperor didn’t know. He went to each of the small kingdoms, one by one, but no one could tell him anything. “Finally the boy went to the High King of Modeg, the wisest of all the kings in the world. The high king looked closely at the head of the golden screw peeping from the boy’s belly button. Then the high king made a gesture, and his seneschal brought out a pillow of golden silk. On that pillow was a golden box. The high king took a golden key from around his neck, opened the box, and inside was a golden screwdriver. “The high king took the screwdriver and motioned the boy to come closer. Trembling with excitement, the boy did. Then the high king took the golden screwdriver and put it in the boy’s belly button.” I paused to take a long drink of water. I could feel my small audience leaning toward me. “Then the high king carefully turned the golden screw. Once: Nothing. Twice: Nothing. Then he turned it the third time, and the boy’s ass fell off.” There was a moment of stunned silence. “What?” Hespe asked incredulously. “His ass fell off.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Hidden moral: He didn't ask a fairy. Could have saved him a lot of trouble... and still have his ass. Yes, consult a fairy if one wants to save one's ass. (Edit inspired by @donm )

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most fairy tales have a “moral”. What’s the moral here? Don’t screw around if you don’t know what you are doing?