Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

is the national anthem poll thread closed?

Alexander_ReyneAlexander_Reyne Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

I just found it. I had not gone into the "off topic" category before. I was unable to vote, but was able to hit the vote button to see the results. I was also able to give thumbs up to posts, but was unable to post my own thoughts. Is it closed to new posts? Or, perhaps, was my attempted post just too long? It was very long, as it is a subject I have plenty to say about, though I would not use this forum except that the opportunity was presented as an "off topic" poll/discussion.

Comments

• SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,535 mod

No. It is not closed.

• Alexander_ReyneAlexander_Reyne Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

@SavageDawg17 said:
    No. It is not closed.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess its just a glitch.

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Season started, we have more important serious issues to ponder.. u know, things that matter..

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sony has an emogi..

• Alexander_ReyneAlexander_Reyne Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

@ladawg said:
    Season started, we have more important serious issues to ponder.. u know, things that matter..

1) I can handle discussing many topics.

2) You made the decision to click on an obviously non-football thread about a subject that does not matter to you and was clearly a question for the moderator and, even though the question was answered & the "discussion" therein completed, you chose to take the time to comment. Those actions don't match your comment of having better things to do. Only an 1diot or a person desiring to throw out some hate toward someone would choose to click on a thread that they express no desire to spend/waste time on. I'm gonna guess 'hater', though I won't rule out '1diot'.

3) Going out of your way to express that the systemic racism in this country means nothing to you says everything anyone needs to know about the content of your character. You'll be glad to know I won't be participating in the forum any longer. I actually care about the lives of my poc brothers & sisters and have no desire to hang out with those who don't.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Alexander_Reyne, would it have made you feel better if @ladawg had put a smiley after his post? It was pretty clear to me the post was made in jest.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Alexander_Reyne Ladawg is one of the more open minded and concerned folks on here. in no way was he dimishing the importance of the issue. the poster he was responding to was one he was trying to manage with humor.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I only have one comment to add: "Jerry Jones just planted himself into the world of politics." I am NOT looking forward to seeing his name on a ballot anytime soon. Can't stand the guy personally!

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

The answer is simple. Do away with the National Anthem at all sporting events. It's normally not played for lectures and concerts and things like that.

• Eason4HeismanEason4Heisman Posts: 169 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ladawg said:
    Sony has an emogi..

*Emoji

@BoulderDawg said:
    The answer is simple. Do away with the National Anthem at all sporting events. It's normally not played for lectures and concerts and things like that.

I wonder when the custom of playing the national anthem before games first started?

• rocco4UGArocco4UGA Posts: 249 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

I wonder when the custom of playing the national anthem before games first started?

Here's a pretty good article on the subject:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/6957582/the-history-national-anthem-sports-espn-magazine

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@BoulderDawg said:

September 4th, 1918 during the 7th inning stretch of the World Series game between the Red Sox and Cubs at Comiskey Park (the Cubs rented it from the White Sox because Weeghman Park only held 14,000).

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@donm said:

@BoulderDawg said:

September 4th, 1918 during the 7th inning stretch of the World Series game between the Red Sox and Cubs at Comiskey Park (the Cubs rented it from the White Sox because Weeghman Park only held 14,000).

Well thanks. A pretty old tradition...almost 100 years old. Interesting. Do you know when the custom of playing it before the game started?

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BoulderDawg said:

In most other countries the Anthem is only played before international games and both countries anthems are played.

edited September 2017

@donm said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@donm said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Well thanks. A pretty old tradition...almost 100 years old. Interesting. Do you know when the custom of playing it before the game started?

Three days later, when the series moved to Fenway, it was played pre-game. But it wasn't presented at every baseball game following. However, by 1931 (the year Congress acknowledged the Star Spangled Banner) it was a baseball tradition. By 1942 every team played it before every game.

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@donm said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@donm said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Three days later, when the series moved to Fenway, it was played pre-game. But it wasn't presented at every baseball game following. However, by 1931 (the year Congress acknowledged the Star Spangled Banner) it was a baseball tradition.

that's what I'm talking about. Thanks. I love historical type stuff.

@donm I have no idea about when it was first used in a football game. I'd be interested to find out.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe it is played before these athletic contests because, although there is a huge amount of people generally disagreeing with each other in the stands as to who they want to win the game, it is (or should be) a galvanizing moment to show that no matter what our personal disagreements may be, in the final analysis, we are all Americans, and will come together as one when the Nation needs us to.

Much like family... I have five kids who relentlessly give each other grief and, at times, are downright cruel to each other! But I can guarantee, and have definitive proof to back it up, if you mess with one of them, then you have, by default, messed with all five of them; and in that instance, you better bring your "A" game because they are going to do their absolute best to kick your a_s_s!