Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Smokin' , Grillin' and Chillin' while sipping your favorite beverage,

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg279BigDawg279 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

The DoJoe makes it super easy.  5 minutes at 550 and you get the perfect crust and toppings.  Wait about 5 minutes before you cut it and you are good to go.   If you are just using a stone or steel plate, make sure you have your heat deflectors in and a nice gap for air flow between the deflector and stone/steel plate. 

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alright, y'all have sold me on this stuff. Sounds like I need to start saving up for Christmas and plan to get a kamodo and a dojoe.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stepson just bought a kamodo. Or wife said so. Also said it took 3 guys to unload it?

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

the ceramic ones are heavy af. and they are like an egg: they can handle a lot of pressure but drop it and they crack very easily

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

happy birthday to the missus, and yes, I'll take your leftovers!

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do want to tell everyone about my favorite butcher shop in Georgia. It is a place called M&T meats in hawkinsville GA. people travel statewide to go get their stuff. They even have people land small airplanes in the field behind their shop and come in with coolers. Chops and Hops in Athens GA gets their steaks from M&T.

check it out, you wont be disappointed

• Options

Thanks for the tip @PharmDawg2054. If we're gonna touch on that topic, I have to recommend Striplings in Cordele.

• Options

stripplings is great and they have locations in athens as well as perry. Their beef jerky is some of my favorite secondary to a place called "savage jerky" https://savagejerky.com/

M&T still takes the cake over stripplings for me, third place is probably carols sausage and meats

• Options

Good to know. I agree Striplings is best known for jerky (and sausage.) I've lived in Atlanta, Athens, and Thomasville, several years in each place, and I've spent a fair amount of time in North Georgia and along the coast. Also spent time on the West side, from Bainbridge to Lagrange. Guess I need to retire to Middle Georgia some day to make sure I've covered the whole state. Good people, good places, and good memories, everywhere I've been.

• Options

I lived in Thomasville for a year, did you ever eat at a place called "George and Louie's"... one of my favorite burgers in the state

• Options
    LakeDawgLakeDawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

See no one has mentioned a RecTec grill... The original is a pellet drive grill that is hard to beat for low and slow. I own 2 different sizes and love it. We use it weekly and the small one travels so we take it everywhere (perfect for tailgates). If your looking for high temps this is not your grill but it also doubles as an oven and we love pizza on it. Local guys from Augusta/Athens area started it and it's ran out of Augusta. They have a whole line different grills also. Check them out... Rectecgrills.com or they have a nice show room where they're always doing cooking videos so most of the time when you stop in you get to eat. Good company and quality but not cheap!

• Options
    BigDawg279BigDawg279 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Being from Evans, I was torn between the RecTec and KJ.  A few things swung my decision.  One, my grill is kept outside on a deck and while I can keep it covered, moisture will still get into the electrical components and possibly leftover pellets causing havoc.  Two, RT is not as adaptable as the KJ.  Slow and low is great on the RT but it is on the KJ too.  I can keep 225 consistently for a loooong time on my KJ but I can also get my KJ up to 1000 to sear a steak if needed which you cannot on the RT.  And third thing, the accessories for the KJ puts it above the Green Egg or RT.  Things like the Divide and Conquer grate/deflector set up, Joetesserie, DoJoe, and cast iron griddle surface just to name a few.   And both KJ and RT have great customer service to back up their products too.   

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@BigDawg279 did you go to high school in Evans too?

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have our Evans crew... @Kasey @brentwilson and maybe @BigDawg279. I know I'm missing some others, and several more from the Augusta area.

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Grew up in the Augusta area as well. Lived in North Augusta, but went to school in Augusta. No matter where I live, that’s home.

Also, keep up the grill talk, gents. It’s awesome.

• Options
    LakeDawgLakeDawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

I post very little but check in most days... Grew up in Appling and live on Clark's Hill Lake. I've noticed all the Augusta connections on this board.... Pretty cool! It really is a great place to live.