Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

next year: Chaney's career defining year?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think, if hugely successful, it will be a career-defining year. Will validate him on a higher tier.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Wayxdawg4everWayxdawg4ever Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

I somewhat agree. Clearly the offense will carry the defense and the improvement of the OL will play a huge role in his success or failure. We should absolutely be unstoppable on the ground and the RPO makes it even deadlier. Can’t wait to see Justin Fields develop...it will be unreal. Which should improve Chaney’s image.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty said:
    Sorry but I don't think Chaney's image needs to improve, he was the OC on the national champion runner up and came within seconds of winning the national champion. Since he's been here he's had a freshman quarterback starting both seasons and a TERRIBLE offensive line his first season and a very weak corp of receivers. Look at where the team ended up last year at the end of the year offensively, we were a very potent offense, reminded me of Bobo's ( who people never respected till he was gone). Personally I believe that the people who are unhappy with Chaney are the same people who were unhappy with Bobo and they sure wanted him back after they got a taste of having a weak offensive coordinator.

Think of several last second TD passes that the defense has given up in the past couple of years and Chaney doesn't look nearly as bad. We'd be 10-3 and 14-1 and there'd be no (well more like minimal) complaining about him.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would say 2019 would career defining year as Georgia oc. We will take a step back just because we are breaking people in but should be fine overall.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can the Chaney fans explain why Michel wasn’t used more late in the championship game rather than Chubb? Michel was clearly having a much better game.

Jim McMahon was the quarterback of the greatest Chicago Bears team of all time. Doesn’t mean he was a great quarterback.

Run, run, pass. Chaney just isn’t mentally adept enough to make in-game adjustments. Took him an entire season of shoving Eason under center to realize it’s not so important and it is okay to run the shotgun more.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Curious to know how involved CKS is with the offensive scheme, play calling, and personnel. Like who decided to get so conservative in the second half of the national championship game, why wasn't Michel used more in national championship game, etc. I've blamed Chaney for things like this, but wonder if it was more of a staff decision. I think this will be a defining. year for Chaney as the OC at Georgia, he will have a QB in his second year in system, a talented and experienced line, quality receivers, and a deep backfield. Everything is in place for us to have a dominant offensive team. Barring a rash of injuries to players in key positions, it will reflect badly on Chaney if we fail to put up huge numbers.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Too early to say 2018 is career defining and will reserve judgement. I'd like to see what he can do with our offense where the quarterback is not a first year starter.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    Can the Chaney fans explain why Michel wasn’t used more late in the championship game rather than Chubb? Michel was clearly having a much better game.

Idk if I’d call myself a Chaney fan but don’t see why so many people have called for his head. There was an interview during the rose bowl where Chaney was asked about certain plays for Chubb or Michel and in his explanation he talked about how Dell decides who is in the game. Chaney went on to say that Chubb and Michel are interchangeable so if Chubb happened to be in on a play designed more for Sony then it wouldn’t matter.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s telling that a Chaney fan is fine with Chaney saying like, “well I don’t really decide all that, if Sony’s out there, Sony’s out there! And if Nick’s out there, Nick’s out there!”

Chaney needs to get his fat butt on the radio and tell McGee that he needs Sony out in the field and he needs him now because Nick ain’t moving the ball and Sony is.

If I start getting into the interchangeable comment and not expecting Chaney to exploit each running back for his own strengths this post is going to sound really mean. So I’ll just skip it.

But basically Chaney fan = low expectations for him personally and fine riding on everyone else’s success.

I just hope Chaney has a chip on his shoulder and wants a head coaching job bad. That way he might accept the job at one of these lower schools that would offer him...

Well, not really. Chaney is serviceable, he’s at least average. And we’ve seen how the coaching carousel goes for successful teams. I’d rather stick with Chaney than be trying a new OC every year or two. We’re not gonna win a national championship because of Chaney. But he’s good enough it can happen with him at the spot.

The only way I’d encourage Kirby to get rid of Chaney is if he knew for certain and was excited about a guy he wanted to replace him with.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

Jim McMahon was the quarterback of the greatest Chicago Bears team of all time. Doesn’t mean he was a great quarterback.

Run, run, pass. Chaney just isn’t mentally adept enough to make in-game adjustments. Took him an entire season of shoving Eason under center to realize it’s not so important and it is okay to run the shotgun more.

There is a ton from that game that can’t be explained. Have to admit Chaney had a good year. His overall work showed not only a step in the right direction, but also improvement compared to his first year.

He owned up and took responsibility for the first year. I feel like he was good on his word about it being better in his second year.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe Chaney giving responsibility to his assistants help his assistants feel they impact the game which keeps them happy so we end up keeping guys like Coley and Dell in the fold. We see what a culture looks like when assistants get reamed and do as they are told. Just look at Kiffen’s twitter feed.

Chaney isn’t the greatest offensive mind but Is better than average and I think he has done an incredible job. He has had to call plays with two true freshmen QBs. In comparison look at what FSU did last yr. I’d say their roster is just as talented if not more than UGAs and were forced to play a true freshman and they fell apart. Chaney was able to call games well enough to make it to the ‘ship.

How many combinations are there in football when calling plays?

Run, run, run? Pass, pass, pass? run, pass, run? Pass, run, run? Run, run, pass? Pas, run, pass?

The claim that Chaney only runs run pass is so lazy. Football is situational so since we had the greatest rb tandem in the history of the sport why wouldn’t we run on 1st and 2nd so on 3rd we have a managible shot at converting. We were 11th on converting 3rds downs and 20th on scoring. On we weren’t a team that run up the score. What else do you want from the guy?

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Dawgy_Fresh said:
    Maybe Chaney giving responsibility to his assistants help his assistants feel they impact the game which keeps them happy so we end up keeping guys like Coley and Dell in the fold. We see what a culture looks like when assistants get reamed and do as they are told. Just look at Kiffen’s twitter feed.

Chaney isn’t the greatest offensive mind but Is better than average and I think he has done an incredible job. He has had to call plays with two true freshmen QBs. In comparison look at what FSU did last yr. I’d say their roster is just as talented if not more than UGAs and were forced to play a true freshman and they fell apart. Chaney was able to call games well enough to make it to the ‘ship.

How many combinations are there in football when calling plays?

Run, run, run? Pass, pass, pass? run, pass, run? Pass, run, run? Run, run, pass? Pas, run, pass?

The claim that Chaney only runs run pass is so lazy. Football is situational so since we had the greatest rb tandem in the history of the sport why wouldn’t we run on 1st and 2nd so on 3rd we have a managible shot at converting. We were 11th on converting 3rds downs and 20th on scoring. On we weren’t a team that run up the score. What else do you want from the guy?

I think some of these Chaney bashers also can coach basketball and know what Mark Fox should be doing. Winning 13-2 and making it to the NCG is seems less than tolerable. to some. Don't forget - we scored enough to win most games and it was a defensive lapse that ultimately cost us the title. It wasn't Chaney, at least in my mind.

Your mind is correct.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is the same guy that coached Drew Brees right...so I don't believe 2018 will really be "career-defining". I think Chaney is a seasoned veteran who will eventually wear out his schemes and ride into the sunset kind of like Norm Chow did. That is good for now...so long as he throws the ball more this year with an experienced QB and lack of experience in the backfield. I'd like to see at least 55-45 run/pass this year. If not, I agree with others that Chaney is riding Pittman and Dell's coaching and recruiting. He does seem to struggle making in-game adjustments when things aren't working...something CMT and CKS excel at. And he's far too conservative when he needs to step on people's throats. He's serviceable, but I wouldn't turn down Lincoln Riley if he wanted our OC job lol.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting responses

prior to this season seems like half the fanbase wanted him fired

several articles were written about his up and down career, with more down than up, and how he has never been consistently good, etc

but thanks everyone for responding

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

I wonder how many times Fromm checked out of a pass and handed off to Chubb because he saw something that wasn't there.
    It's hard to give credit to Pruitt/ Saban for putting together a solid second half.
    Ultimately, Georgia scored 20 points on a team that averaged giving up 11.9 ppg (including just six points to the ACC champs a week before).
    I'm not happy about it, but I can live through the off-season knowing that UGA was competitive in a game with a national championship team that's getting out-recruited.

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@levander said:

I wonder how many times Fromm checked out of a pass and handed off to Chubb because he saw something that wasn't there.
    It's hard to give credit to Pruitt/ Saban for putting together a solid second half.
    Ultimately, Georgia scored 20 points on a team that averaged giving up 11.9 ppg (including just six points to the ACC champs a week before).
    I'm not happy about it, but I can live through the off-season knowing that UGA was competitive in a game with a national championship team that's getting out-recruited.

Completely agree with that. I don't think many expected Chaney to start off the game airing it out and putting UGA in the position to win the game. Were there questionable decisions about personnel, perhaps. Did Kirby tell Chaney to run the ball with Chubb to wear down Bama since we had a few quick offensive series in the 2nd half, maybe. But I do think Pruitt/Saban had the best DT we have faced. Payne dominated our interior lineman and made it extremely difficult to get push up the middle.

In the end we played a heck of a game and definitely deserved to win but Dawgnation has to be proud that we showed so much progress compared to 2 years ago! And like you said @JoelSidneyKelly the fact that our recruiting was so dominated is nothing but a good sign.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Lefty said:
    Sorry but I don't think Chaney's image needs to improve, he was the OC on the national champion runner up and came within seconds of winning the national champion. Since he's been here he's had a freshman quarterback starting both seasons and a TERRIBLE offensive line his first season and a very weak corp of receivers. Look at where the team ended up last year at the end of the year offensively, we were a very potent offense, reminded me of Bobo's ( who people never respected till he was gone). Personally I believe that the people who are unhappy with Chaney are the same people who were unhappy with Bobo and they sure wanted him back after they got a taste of having a weak offensive coordinator.

Willie Martinez and Todd Grantham were putrid defensive coordinators who could never help Bobo out. I've mentioned this numerous times. Bobo was great, he was a great recruiter when it came to offensive weapons and was a mastermind of coaching the deep ball threat, but there were some flaws with him. Not spiking the ball at the goal line against Alabama in 2012 which cost us a national title. Not giving the ball to Gurley at the FOUR YARD LINE in Columbia, South Carolina when we could have won the game, which came back to haunt us and cost us the East crown over a mediocre Mizzou team who we shut out in their house. According to Deshaun Watson's twitter back in 2012, Mike Bobo didn't want to recruit him. I don't know if this was 100% true or not, but overall this goes back to Mark Richt failing to get big time prospects out of our own state over and over again. Richt recruited Cam Newton as a tight end (which was idiotic) and failed to get Deshaun Watson, and that handed our long hated orange rivals, Auburn and Clemson their first national titles in decades. Thankfully we have Kirby now who has recruited on a much better level so far. We just have to break our 40 year drought. I believe the Dawgs and the Falcons are almost there, after all the frustrations we've been through. It's coming soon.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I haven’t read everyone’s comments but I thought Chaney did a good job in 2017. I do think the offense will be better in 2018 and 2019 bc of experience at the QB and OL positions. Plus we don’t have the pittboss without Chaney!

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

@levander.....Because Michel's knee was banged up at the start of the 4th qtr in the Natty game.