Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

That Blast by Acuna

MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In case you were like me and didn't see the Braves game last night, Acuna hit a massive HR to center. A career long of 466 ft. I expected it would land at least 25 rows deep. But Chase field, as it is called now, has a large facade in Center. And Acuna's blast "only" carried about 10 feet above the yellow "HR line" Still a massive blast, the yellow line in itself is 25 feet above the playing field. The way the seating is configured around the facade reminds me a bit of one of my favorite old-time ballparks: The Polo Grounds.

Home of the NY Giants, and just like the Dodgers, at one time the Giants played in New York. The Polo Grounds featured a section in straightaway Center where the field extended an additional 60 feet to a distance of 480 feet. No one ever cleared that 480 sign, but Hank Arron and maybe two others allegedly hit massive blasts of their own in an area adjacent to the facade at around 420 feet.

Also of note, players at that time, including Babe Ruth loved playing in the Polo Grounds because of it's short foul lines measuring just 257 feet - where a pop fly down the line could result in a HR.

Editor's note: the distance to Center by most authorities is considered 455'. But I'm pretty sure a ball hit to that area had to clear a section of columns (?) and a 480' foot sign to be called a HR.

Comments

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hank Aaron. I can't believe I misspelled Hank Aaron.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did Acuna hit a longer HR than Aaron?

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After I posted this article, I learned Aaron, Lou Brock, (on consecutive days, no less) and one other were the only players to ever hit a HR to center field. Also, one player from the old "Negro Leagues".

The Polo Grounds had a lot of quirks, including bullpens that existed in the playing field.

But to your question, with limited knowledge about where in CF these players hit the HR's, I'd have to go with Acuna. 466'

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I realize it's only one game, but I sure love Acuna leading off and Donaldson at clean up.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just saw replay, that ball was smoked !

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Just provides me with a chance to say Barry Bonds is a cheater and in no way deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with the Hammer, Hank Aaron. By the way, Acuna is a legit superstar in the making.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone got a link?

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019