Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

If the Gus Bus leaves Auburn

dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Gus gets fired at Auburn what are the chances that Dell McGhee leaves UGA for his Alma Mater?

Comments

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ugh don't say that. I think Dino Barbers is the one to watch for auburn if Gus leaves.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s gone after this year. Auburn’s schedule is a bit over his head and their talent level. They could & should lose five games, maybe six. A 7-5 or 6-6 year will mean he won’t be around for the Music City Bowl. Good chance McGhee leaves for the HC or OC job, depending on who they hire. However, as Tennessee and Florida found out, hiring is a hit or miss. We were very fortunate with the Kirby hire. McGhee will be tough to replace, because he develops a strong bond with the players. Let’s hope Gus stays for another year.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t typically go from a position coach to a head coach particularly at a big name school.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there a reason you think McGee is a future OC ? I really have no idea of his ability to coordinate an offense at this level. I'm more confident in his potential as a HC because he's done it before and he clearly has excellent people skills.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Hopefully if Gus is gone, auburn won't be able to afford him. I feel like Georgia will be able to throw whatever they need to at him to stay.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't think he'd wait for that chance. Coley probably does two years or three as the OC.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can Auburn afford to buy hum out? Didn't they just give him a 49 million dollar contract.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reality of a great program is that coaches will leave. Not suggesting that Dell or any other coach is about to leave - it's just reality.

Clemson is a little bit of an anomaly but even they will eventually have turn over.

It's the nature of the business. And the worst part for the families.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“The only thing worse than losing a good employee is keeping one that nobody else wants.”

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Auburn won’t be able to make a big hire if they Fire him.

Theyll spend $50 million just to have the opportunity to pay someone else.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think that the buy out shrinks each year.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the Gus bus leaves the barn, it’ll have a flat a few miles down the road.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great sales pitch:

”come to Auburn and recruit against Alabama... and be treated like a secondhand citizen in your home state... but you get to say W.D.E. And watch an bald eagle fly every home game...”

-Auburn AD

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, don’t see any position coach going straight to a major D1 Head Coach job.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the best that Mel Tucker, an experienced DC for a team that played in a natty and who had a player drafted in the 1st round, could do was Colorado, then I don't see a program with the $ and big head of the Barn hiring a position coach for HC.

Could they throw at ton of $$ at Dell with a wink about the future..sure. But he still needs to take the steps. Love Dell but he's not bringing some crazy new uber successful scheme to a job like even Gus did back in the day.

Does anyone even know what Dell's ambitions are? I'd hope we'd try to keep him around but hopefully it's not a UT/Chaney situation where someone throws $ at him for at lateral move. Seems like a smart guy and to enjoy his job so I hope he waits it out for the right opportunity.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tucker was in talks for a few other higher profile jobs. It may sound weird but Colorado racks in money because of their actual school and the medical facilities that they have.

I don't think Dell stays after this class. Personal opinion is he doesnt have anything left to prove on this field or at this job. He can at least get a OC job based off recruiting but he does also have HC experience.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Colorado is actually a decent job..but it ain't an SEC program with perennial national title expectations, deserved or not lol.