Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

First Trip to Athens!

Dawgs15Dawgs15 Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

What's up Dawg Nation! Lifelong Georgia fan from New York going down to my first UGA game ever on Nov.4. Really excited for it. I was wondering where the best places to park are for tailgating/price, and best spots to hit before/after the game in Athens. I also haven't gotten my tickets yet, was going to go through StubHub or Vivid Seats but any other suggestions you guys have would be great!

GO DAWGS

Comments

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have always used Stub hub, but opinions vary on here. Being your 1st time, I would suggest arriving around 3 hours before game time. That way you can do a little site seeing and still go to the Dawg walk. You have to do the Dawg walk to fully experience game day. As for parking, there are a few free spots, but we normally pay $25 and park along Lumpkin street. Either before or after the game you need to hit the Varsity to eat (just to check it off the bucket list).

Be safe and enjoy....

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgs15 What are you looking for in a spot to hit before/after the game? Do you want bars? Party type scenes? Good food? Fancy Restaurant choices? BBQ? Athens has a lot to offer and this would be an insane list of responses without a little bit of guidance from you lol

Are you bringing the family or rolling with a crew or flying solo? And then either your atmosphere taste or dining taste, give us something to filter your options with hahaha

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg blind Varsity suggestion? That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how it works out for him.

• Dawgs15Dawgs15 Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

@RedDawg said:
    @Dawgs15 What are you looking for in a spot to hit before/after the game? Do you want bars? Party type scenes? Good food? Fancy Restaurant choices? BBQ? Athens has a lot to offer and this would be an insane list of responses without a little bit of guidance from you lol

Are you bringing the family or rolling with a crew or flying solo? And then either your atmosphere taste or dining taste, give us something to filter your options with hahaha

Haha how about the best bars that have sit down food options as well? Going with a group of 4.

@BamaDawg said:
    I have always used Stub hub, but opinions vary on here. Being your 1st time, I would suggest arriving around 3 hours before game time. That way you can do a little site seeing and still go to the Dawg walk. You have to do the Dawg walk to fully experience game day. As for parking, there are a few free spots, but we normally pay $25 and park along Lumpkin street. Either before or after the game you need to hit the Varsity to eat (just to check it off the bucket list).

Be safe and enjoy....

Definitely planned on getting their for the Dawg Walk. Appreciate the response! I'll look to park on Lumpkin.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017

@BamaDawg said:

Either before or after the game you need to hit the Varsity to eat (just to check it off the bucket list).

@moos said:
    @BamaDawg blind Varsity suggestion? That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how it works out for him.

The Varsity is a great and iconic place to eat, but they have their own lingo for ordering, and you better be prepared to order when you get to the counter, otherwise they'll go on to the next person in line! Below is a list of their ordering terms...man, do I miss eating there!

Hot Dog // Hot dog with chili and mustard
    Heavy Weight // Hot dog with extra chili
    Naked Dog // Plain hot dog on a bun
    MK Dog // Naked dog with mustard and ketchup
    Regular C Dog // Hot dog with ketchup
    Red Dog // Naked dog with Ketchup
    Yellow Dog // Naked dog with mustard
    Yankee Dog // Plain dog with mustard
    Walk a Dog (or a steak) // Hot dog (or steak) to go
    Steak // Hamburger with ketchup, mustard and pickle
    Chili Steak // Hamburger with chili
    Glorified Steak // Hamburger with mayo, lettuce and tomato
    Mary Brown Steak (or dog) // Hamburger (or dog) with no bun
    Naked Steak // A plain steak
    Varsity Orange // The original carbonated orange soda.
    Squirt One // A Varsity Orange
    N.I. Orange // Varsity Orange with no ice
    F.O. // Frosted Varsity Orange
    Joe-ree // Coffee with cream
    P.C. // Plain chocolate milk always served with ice
    N.I.P.C. // Chocolate milk with no ice
    All the Way // With onions – Can be a hot dog, chili, steak, etc
    Bag of Rags // Potato Chips
    Ring One // Order of Onion Rings
    Strings // An order of French fries
    Sideways //Onions on the side
    L.G. (Lazy Gordy) // a Naked Dog and a Sprite
    Sally Rand Through the Garden  // a naked steak with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

Either before or after the game you need to hit the Varsity to eat (just to check it off the bucket list).

@moos said:

The Varsity is a great and iconic place to eat, but they have their own lingo for ordering, and you better be prepared to order when you get to the counter, otherwise they'll go on to the next person in line! Below is a list of their ordering terms...man, do I miss eating there!

Sally Rand Through the Garden  // a naked steak with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise

I'm a metro Atlanta native and live less than two miles from the North Ave location. My point was that iconic as it may be, it's not for everyone. I thought @RedDawg was on the right track asking the guy what he was looking for prior to making suggestions.

@moos said:

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@moos said:

I'm a metro Atlanta native and live less than two miles from the North Ave location. My point was that iconic as it may be, it's not for everyone. I thought @RedDawg was on the right track asking the guy what he was looking for prior to making suggestions.

The menu sounds like my kinda spot. I'm just not trying to sound like a noob that doesn't belong haha so this is great thanks everyone.

@Dawgs15 said:

@moos said:

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@moos said:

The menu sounds like my kinda spot. I'm just not trying to sound like a noob that doesn't belong haha so this is great thanks everyone.

If that sounds like your gig, give it a try. It is an iconic place.

@Dawgs15 said:

@RedDawg said:

Haha how about the best bars that have sit down food options as well? Going with a group of 4.

Bars that have good food also, and are downtown:

Copper Creek (Pub Feeling) - local joint
    Blind Pig (Pub Feeling) -local ish joint
    Mellow Mushroom (Pub Feeling) -franchise joint but super cool

Fuzzys (crappy tacos with lots of students and a Bar)

Trapeze/HighWire (restaurant/bar) - local joint
    The Place (restaurant/bar) - local joint
    Dolce Vita (fancy italian food, THE Best wine selection in Athens) - local joint

And Ill let other folks toss out some ideas as well instead of overloading ya.

The Varsity is an iconic fast food burger joint ( cheap and not healthy) but its a known place. Personally if your here for a weekend, there are way too many good places to eat than to spend a bowel movement on the varsity lol We have killer BBQ, awesome pubs, fine dining, you name it.

Oh and on that note Im adding Saucehouse BBQ to the list of Bars with food. its pretty cool spot but a little ways down the hill from the Downtown Bar scene.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

I understand completely, just wanted them to be prepared in case they went.

BTW...I'm sorry you have to live so close to that "Trade School on North Ave.". I love Atlanta, but always feel a little queasy when I'm close to there! :smiley:

@Palm_City_Dawg

Eh, it's easy enough to avoid now that Atlanta United has moved to MBS.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

@Dawgs15 said:

@moos said:

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@moos said:

Now you want to hop on the bandwagon? ...lol... my suggestion was strictly from a been there done that perspective.

@BamaDawg said:

@moos said:

@Dawgs15 said:

@moos said:

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@moos said:

Now you want to hop on the bandwagon? ...lol... my suggestion was strictly from a been there done that perspective.

Its an icon, but I'll never recommend the place. I don't like it, but he said it sounded like his kinda thing. I'm not going to begrudge someone their food preferences.