Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Parents Weekend Game Day Attire: Help Request

razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited August 2019 in Off Topic

Pretty silly request here to anyone with experience with sorority Parent Weekends...

My default wardrobe when I’m not at work or a wedding/funeral is a golf shirt, shorts and visor. That said, our daughter just joined a sorority at UGA and I’m not sure if there’s an unwritten policy on how dressed up Dads are for these types of events: specifically the 9/14 home game vs Arkansas St.

Are there parents in dress shirts & jackets or is it pretty laid back (shorts/t-shirt)?

Just looking to not embarrass her (more than usual) with her new sisters the first month of college. Thanks All!

Comments

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m dying from the part about the number of buttons on the golf shirt 🤣🤣🤣 many UV’s to you good sir

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

golf polo & shorts are fine.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Consider it business casual // Red or Black (UGA themed) Golf/Polo style shirt. Khaki pants (safe) or shorts (still ok.) Brown loafers / boat shoes.

Things to avoid: Jersey, T-Shirt, Athletic Shorts or Pants, Sandals with socks.

All else fails, just check in with your daughter. If there's a more formal lunch or dinner to it, you may need to pack a sports coat. Some guys will probably have a sports coat on anyways, but I personally wouldn't advise it for a day game.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What sorority is she pledging? Golf shirt, khakis or shorts, boat shoes, and a visor should suffice for the game day tailgate. Bring a sports coat for dinner on Friday & Saturday night since I would assume they'll have some sort of social as well.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Button up, no tie, khakis, dress shoes. Then bring sports coat

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you do go with golf shirt, khakis, and a visor, make sure you can tuck the shirt in. Also, no cargo shorts. Think "what would I wear to a yacht club" almost. Need to look "neat" vs. relaxed.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

go with some linen shorts instead of khaki shorts

cleaner look and will be more comfortable

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wore khaki shorts and a polo to my daughters. Seemed to be the norm...

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Without straying off the topic to far , how much should I be putting back when it’s my daughters turn at all of this sorority stuff? I’m hoping for the best but know it’s not cheap either

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

@razorachilles Greek female alumna here; polo and khakis is fine for the game. Definitely pack a sports coat, button-down and khakis for the weekend. There will be a dressier event at some point. Tie is typically optional. Don’t sweat it too much, though. You see varying degrees of dress. I hope you have fun!

@BiggerBadDawg are you referring to dues? Or the cost of rush? I think it’s about 100 bucks to rush (from what I can remember). She will need cute clothes, but you don’t have to spend a ton on that! Dues range from $1500 to $6000 a year but it depends on the sorority. The good thing is that whenever she lives in the sorority house (sophomore year) you will save a lot on her room and board that year. It was cheaper for me to live in the house than the dorms.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@allyw

Thank you! I was mostly referring to the dues. As far as the moving in part , they do have to wait until sophomore year to do that right? And your spot on that it will be cheaper then apartment or house.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiggerBadDawg Yes you have to wait til sophomore year. In most living in the house is an earned privilege. In mine we received rankings based on our GPA and that determined who got to live in the house.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Wow - thanks to everyone for the input...even the black tie advice (picturing me walking into the room like Lloyd in the powder blue tux in Dumb and Dumber). Sounds like khaki/linen shorts and a decent UGA polo is OK for the game, then pack a business casual backup in case there’s a dinner. Thank you!

@BoroDawg - she just got her bid from ADPI...Don’t think she’s fully initiated until later this Fall. I’m told that’s one of the older sororities so didn’t know if the dress code differs between older/newer houses (if at all).

@allyw - special thank you for the official sorority alum/insider intel (!)

@BiggerBadDawg - I was (am) a functional idiot on all things Panhellenic but they did a great job educating the parents on to the whole process. The doc at this link was handed out during a 90-minute parent meeting the day recruitment started that walks through the process. Pages 24-31 details the per semester costs for each house:

https://greeklife.uga.edu/uploads/docs/UGA_Panhellenic_Sorority_Parent_Packet_2019_web.pdf

(Note to mods: this is public info on the UGA site so don’t think this violates any posting rules but apologize in advance if so)

Thanks again everyone! Go Dawgs! 🐶

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My daughter's sorority dues were about 5K a year... she is a Zeta....