Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit removes UGA from his rankings of top 4 teams

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageKirk Herbstreit removes UGA from his rankings of top 4 teams

Kirk Herbstreit, one of college football’s biggest influencers, dropped UGA out of his weekly top four on Sunday. The Bulldogs improved to 2-0 after routing Murray State 63-17 this weekend. Not sure if UGA could’ve performed any better this weekend to drop in anyone’s rankings. But it looks like the ESPN broadcaster

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

After all, it's just someone's opinion. We all have an opinion.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's an unofficial opinion, and it's early, so nothing to get worked up about. Still, I'm wondering how this works. He had us ahead of LSU before they played Texas, and dropped us behind them in a week that we beat a cupcake by 7 touchdowns while clearing the bench starting in the second quarter. So if we beat ND down, with LSU having played Georgia Southern and NW State at that point, do we go back in front of them? If so, what was the point in moving the teams around? And if not, why not?

Just feels kinda knee jerky.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Naturally he has Ohio State in. Nothing against Fields, but he hasn't played anyone above high school level talent yet. Once he does, let's see what happens.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And the Bucknuts were rewarded for? Fields will suffer the same fate as Eason if he should play a decent Power 5 defense. Perhaps Herbstreit realizes the chance of Fields playing a decent Power 5 defense in the B1G is Slim and none and Slim has already left town!

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

I mean who honestly cares? It's rat poison. We gave up 17 to murray state for focus on that.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is just Herbie's opinion and I can see wanting to reward LSU for what they did in Austin. It was a very solid effort by the Tigers. The part I don't get is the hullabaloo over Ohio State. I really think it stems from all the love that Cincinnati before they played Ohio State. There was this narrative that the Bearcats had a strong defense and a better-than-average offense that was really going to test OSU. So when OSU blew them out, it became about how good the Buckeyes must be because they handled a (supposedly) good Bearcats team. But here's my opinion: Cincinnati is not as good as many believed so we still don't know how good OSU is. And we won't after this week, either, after they finish playing the 'mighty' Indiana Hoosiers.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2019

If uga take care of business does it really matter what Kirk Herbstreit thinks and if they select a weak team that doesn't deserve to get in, wouldn't it be to our advantage to win it all? Notre Dame didn't deserve to get in and got pulverized by Clemson so I don't care who they select as long as we do what we have to do to get in.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks right now. If we win the SECE, then the SECC, we would have beaten the best team in the SECW. If that is not Alabama, that team will have beaten Alabama. It should take care of itself. Though I do believe if the East is as weak as it appears today--we will need to win out to make the playoff.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

I agree with Herbstreit, and I said this yesterday on another post.

LSU won with a brand new offense, on the road against a hostile crowd, and with a very banged-up defense that made several goal line stops. And remember, these same Longhorns put a whipping on us in the Sugar Bowl. Both teams never gave up. It was one helleva game. And don't forget, LSU beat us last season. Personally, with the defensive secondary play I've seen from the DAWGS thus far, I think Burrow would have picked us apart in the air.

We'll know more about this year's DAWGS after Notre Dame. Our season doesn't really start until then.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If UGA doesn’t flop and let Texas beat them last year then the “Texas is back!” perspective doesn’t happen and the win isn’t valued the same. (FYI...they aren’t back). UGA has itself to blame.

• Options
    DawgForLifeDawgForLife Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

It's a fair assessment up till now. LSU is looking good and is showing a much needed overhaul. I know it was in Baton Rouge but GS usually doesn't get trashed like that and then they take the game in Texas by the neck and never let go. Texas wanted that one but couldn't get it done.

As far as our Bulldogs, we've had 2 scrimmages and deep bench work. Talent all over the place. We'll know what combinations we got and need to use to beat the good teams in 2 weeks.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Corporal Kirk has spoken. Much ado about nothing.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fine with that. ... Two games into season predictions mean little.

• Options
    BowdCrowderBowdCrowder Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

Any of you guys call me Francis... and I'll kill you.

• Options
    MarkGelbartMarkGelbart Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

Who cares what Jerk Herbstreit thinks?

• Options
    Rusty69Rusty69 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore

Start worrying about the top 4 teams when bowl season gets here

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Blah blah blahdity blah.....

just win and this all goes away!

btw, stoked about competing on a national stage against Notre Dame!

Im calling a flea flicker to start with just like we did against miss state. Mark my words!