Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Measuring up: Examining Georgia's offensive evolution, comparing past to current UGA teams

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageMeasuring up: Examining Georgia's offensive evolution, comparing past to current UGA teams

Comparing Georgia football to the 2017 SEC Championship team and last season's Bulldogs, and examining the potential for an evolution on offense

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hopefully we can come up with a way to get a yard on 4th down when we really need it

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nobody always gets a yard when they really need it.

We always get a field goal when we really need it. Okay, that's not literally true, but Hot Rod isn't called Mr. Automatic for no reason.

There can be a huge downside to failing on 4th down. There's no downside to more points especially when you're already ahead and have a great defense.

Last I looked we were 4-0 and headed for the Natty if we continue winning (winning by one point counts).

Go, Dawgs!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, I love you brother but comparing the current season to that of the past two seasons is nearly a waste of time. You are using statistics from a total of 4 games (current season) against three cream puff opponents and one worthy opponent and comparing them to two complete seasons of 14 (2018: includes an SECC and Bowl Game) and 15 games (2017: includes 2 Playoff games and the SECC) respectively ! This Dawg is not biting on this bone. An UGA statistics professor would give you a D- on this one.

It’s true that nobody can get a yard EVERY time you need it. However with the # 1 line in the nation and the # 1 stable of rbs , you should feel confident you can make it in a tight game . Looking back over last season , we had 7 straight tries against Fla and couldn’t make it. Against LSU we were constantly stuffed at the los and against Texas we were stuffed. There are other options besides lining up and running the ball up the middle. Maybe we should try some of them

• RedUga4EverRedUga4Ever Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman

Kirby is more and more looking the old "dooly ball". Run all day and hope to get the other team tired and hope for turn-overs. Every game is a 10-7 or 14-10 game and it works against Vandy and Kentucky. It will never win against a good team: Texas, Alabama, LSU, and struggled against ND. Just like CMR we cannot win the big game when it counts. I am ready to just turn all those high ranked recruits loose and see what happens.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2019

I was one of the main people super excited when they brought Kirby smart in and I still believe that was the right idea. we have better players better facilities and we are a better team from top to bottom. But coach sMart has to open up that offense we cannot run the ball down everyone's throat every game. That's what changed Alabama from a good team to a great team is when Kiffin opened up their offense. We have playmakers and we need to use them we have to stop I'm trying to pound everybody and we got to blow them out and then use our run game late in the game to finish them.

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

How them Jet Sweeps and screens look against a team that could match up?

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't believe what Sarkisian has done with Alabama...maybe he learned something from the Falcons? Ha ha.

I agree 100%...we have the players, but they have to be turned loose.

Auburn is really turning it on too...they're demolishing Miss State.

There's no reason we can't do that.

Go Dawgs!

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Today, Oklahoma and Notre Dame both earned 900 wins. Not a single one of them was against the University of Georgia. I wish we’d figured out a way to use Justin Fields. Our wide receivers will all be back and healthy starting with Tennessee, right?

• WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry, but the competition so far has been relatively equal to the past 2 yrs. Mizzou and Miss St ended up being a one upset wonder team and 2 complete cupcakes both yrs. Rewatch the ND game...without the lack of PI calls (at least 2) and unsportsmanlike flops (3x) UGA dominated this game. Yes, a slow 1st half, but they corrected and played a solid game. AL, OSU, & OK have not played anyone much better than Vandy and LSU has a defense that have 30+ to Vandy! Most big plays in ND game came due to not having our 2 starting CBs, but we gained valuable experience with a win against what will be a top 6 team at the end of the year. Other plays came from TE early and we adjusted and Fromm looked amazing. Not going for it on 4th and one allowed for us to force a TD effort to win and it worked! Yes I would have loved to put it a way but a win is a win and one thing CKS has shown is he will grow his team. Go Dawgs....excited for the next few games and then the showdown!

• patrickyaggypatrickyaggy Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

I would love to see more in depth analysis like this on Dawgnation, but all of the above numbers are pretty meaningless unless you are comparing the this year's first four games with 2017's and 2018's first four games.

• FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

The truth is the offense looked downright pedestrian against Notre Dame and Georgia would not have beaten several teams like that. If UGA has any chance to make a run at the championship they are going to have to start pushing the ball downfield, that dink and dunk and running the ball into stacked fronts will get them beat against the likes of Alabama and Auburn.