Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

SEC legend Tim Tebow: Georgia must open up offense to win title

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageSEC legend Tim Tebow: Georgia must open up offense to win title

Georgia played it safe against Notre Dame in a 23-17 win, but many include Tim Tebow believe the Bulldogs need a more aggressive game plan moving forward

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone loves LSU this year because they are "so explosive". As the Senator wrote on his blog, Georgia actually is averaging more yards per play than LSU.

Sure, the offense could open up a bit. But to say that it was "conservative" merely because Georgia ran the ball a lot is unfair.

• RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby's philosophy is to pound the other guys defense into submission, while keeping his defense fresh on the bench. The offense is built for that. Shootouts and scoring in 4 plays and keeping our defense on the field is NOT Kirby Smart football.

• SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

I happen to agree with Timmy. Yes, Kirby’s philosophy is to wear opposing teams down but that just isn’t going to work against the Bamas and Clemsons. In order to win a championship, they will have to open things up, which is Timmy’s point. I didn’t realize that Georgia’s yards per play was greater than LSU. But def not in points per game.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know how good Auburn is, (they cerainly look like they have turned it around on offense). I think we'll find out this weekend against Florida, but they dropped 21 on Miss State with only half the 1st quarter gone. I heard some pundits saying MSU would give them a battle. THey didn't. The game was over by the 2nd quarter. The UGA - Vandy game should have been over by half-time but they went the conservative route. Anyone of Auburn, LSU, BAMA, OKLAHOMA, and even Florida if you come in not clicking immediately can put you in a hole so fast your head will be spinning and then what? THe run game will be nullified and Jake will be pressured and hounded because he's not mobile. TIme to master the passing game(now) for when it's critical on down the road.

• Cmills1980Cmills1980 Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Definitely gonna have to DO MORE on offense. Give Jake the time and he will make it happen. But in the end as long as we win, thats all that matters. Go Dawgs!

• OldironsidesOldironsides Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Coach Smart needs to Trust Jake Fromm .as much as he Trust Our great FG. kicker, Blankenship.....Both, have earned this Trust!......we alumni/fans will support this Trust and the Results from it......play to win...Coach.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tebow left out one small tidbit. We have to win games if we’re going to win a natty. How we win is really unimportant as long as we win. I don’t think we’ll lose out on a natty being 15-0 because we don’t open up the offense.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We're 4 and 0. As long as we keep that 0 in the loss column, I think the coaching staff is doing a great job. I'd rather win 3-0 than lose 49-48 (or any other score for that matter). Just my opinion.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Our competition for the CFP's light up the board every week. I realize that all we have to do is win but I think in today's environment you need to look good doing it. At times we look outstanding, at times we look boring and almost lost. We have the talent to light it up like the Bama's, Sooner's and yes, OSU, but something seems to be missing, that would be how our coaches approach the game.

If we're going to recruit thoroughbreds, turn them loose Coach.

• SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

you know who I am "very unimpressed with"......Clemson, Alabama! This is the year of the DAWG!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keeping the ball out of your opponents hands is also good offense!

I am unimpressed with Tebow. If ever there was a talking head, it's Tim!

• Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you read Mike Griffith’s article comparing this year’s offense to others years in the Kirby era you’d see it isn’t the explosiveness per play, but the fact that we run so few plays per game that keeps us from the video game numbers. Go up tempo and maybe that changes, but defensive coaches are always going to prefer a score slow to score fast approach. Another thing about that ND game: we actually went deep more than we’re getting credit for. We just couldn’t complete those throws because of the great coverage (or pass interference, take your pick) of the ND backs.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I'm very unimpressed by ANYONE that is or was a gator..

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama, OSU, and Oklahoma have lit it up playing against air. Clemson just scored 21 against a bad defense because by "opening it up" you also open yourself up to making mistakes and the possibility of losing to a bad opponent.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Too many people and now coaches have fell in love with Oklahoma's style of football, score a point a minute, forget about defense. If the Dawgs win 3-0, I'm entertained, I don't need no 70-0 blowout to watch the Dawgs play. Besides Tebow is now a talking head on TV, he want's those blowouts, so he and others can Yak It Up and try to impress you that he knows more than Kirby.

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

We can probably win 9 or 10 games by just running the ball. To compete with the likes of Auburn , Clemson, LSU , Ala or Ohio State we will have to open up the offense

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Were it not for the refs' non-calls when ND safeties and defensive backs were draped across our receivers on three or more deep balls, we would have had more success on long balls. If a safety isn't looking for the ball when grabbing the receiver, the rules clearly say it is a penalty. Either make calls according to the rules, or change the rules. Doing otherwise gives officials to much leeway and allows hypocritical announcers to say, "Yes, they should let them play ball!", when they like the team(s), or, "How could they miss that?", when they do not." Thus, the likes of ND, Alabama, Clemson..., catch justified (in the minds of refs & announcers) breaks, while UGA (why does everyone seem to hate UGA - Herbstreit, 2007, LSU?) never gets any (ND game, SEC Championship, National Championship - both Alabama). Throw the flag when warranted is all I ask - or change the rules!