Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What the national media seems to be missing about Jake Fromm and Justin Fields

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageWhat the national media seems to be missing about Jake Fromm and Justin Fields

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. What the national media gets wrong about Jake Fromm and Justin Fields Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields had

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here it comes, the avalanche of anti- Justin Fields comments. That sentence about Fromm getting 9 yards on a scramble when he needed 10 was pretty much the crux of the matter. I recommend that you read The Year of the Black QB on the undefeated. It's like Thanos stated, "I am.....INEVITABILITY!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ohio St Scoring offense is the best in the Big-10..... It was the same in 2018, 2017, 2014, 2013, and 2012.

2015 and 2016, were down years, as they only managed the 2nd best Scoring Offense in the Big-10.

Put a talented QB in a High School style Offense, give him far superior talent than any team on the schedule, and you can expect him to lead that lesser conference in almost every category.

Any athlete with a decent arm can run a High school style read option, smoke and mirrors, miss-direction offense against lesser talent.

It takes a special talent to come into college as a true freshman, in the best conference in College football, and lead a team with a true Pro-Style Offense to the National Championship. Jake Fromm did that. Fields couldn't do that.

What Fields is doing is what almost every QB at Ohio St does every year. It really does have a lot to do with the lack of talent in the Big-10...

• Options
    walkermydawgwalkermydawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Your article is wrong from the very beginning.. Fields doesn’t have an interception. It was made very clear on ABC after the game , when they questioned him about not throwing one yet.

The only TO, and not sure who this counts against was a dropped pass that was backwards so it’s recovered as a fumble.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fields had good games against Tennessee and UMass and both of those teams had better defenses than what he's faced this year. I hope Justin plays well enough to keep his team from pulling an Ohio State and inexplicably losing to a lousy team which keeps them out of the playoffs. I would love for Fields to get reacquainted with his former teammates in the playoffs!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fields is perfect for what Ohio State does and Fromm is perfect for what Georgia does. Fields has more natural QB talent than Fromm but just was not a better QB than Fromm in Georgia's system.(lack of pass attempts in high school compared to Fromm and Lawrence undoubtedly played a role). We don't know yet who Fields is with a pass rush bearing down on him and DB's who can cover, All. Game. Long. We've seen Fromm struggle under that scenario, 2017 Auburn game & 2018 LSU game and we've seen him excel under that scenario, both SECCG's and Florida among others. I commend Fields for making the extremely wise decision to go to Ohio State and I wish him well and I don't regret that Fromm is QB1 with the Dawgs. If there is misfortune in any of this, it's with Jacob Eason who Fromm, as an early enrollee, could not beat out. Injury opened the door for Fromm and he pulled a Tom Brady like Brady did to Drew Bledsoe.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's 5 minutes of my time that I will never get back. Let it die, man....ridiculous.

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jake Fromm plays for Georgia. Justin Fields plays for Justin Fields.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dan Wolken is a true 🤡

• Options
    LegalizeWeedLegalizeWeed Posts: 73 ✭✭ Sophomore

What was Fields willing to do for his eligibility? I haven't seen any links that show what he did, or was willing to do. Do you have some?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've seen most of the JF highlights and except for the running ability of JF,Jake or any other better than average D_1 QB could have made those throws to wide open recievers. THat kind of stuff won't fly in the next league. BUt with that said, even in OKlahoma's system Hurts looks like Joe Montana. THe system you play in matters. BUt Fields is a great talent. Pobably win the Heisman next year.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK my bad JUstin and Jake have the same initials. Prior post referring to Justin.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

At the end of the day Fromm will never have as much talent as Fields or Eason however that means only so much ….. Joe Montana never had talent even in the ball park of Dan Marino or Jim Kelly. How many rings do each have?

Fromm was/is CKS boy that's who he hung his hat on running off 2 more talented QBs as such that's who I hang my hat with and pull for every Sat. I am glad for Eason and Fields they are preforming so well and that has nothing to do with Fromm good or bad

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm definitely received his break when Eason was injured but even without the injury, I do believe he would have stepped into the starting role soon after the game in South bend. Fromm just simply out worked Eason and was improving weekly.

When Fields arrived, I saw the same opportunities. He just did not outwork Fromm over the year they competed. As the saying goes, iron sharpens iron. I do believe that Fields is a far better QB now due to his time sharpening his game against Fromm. I also strongly believe if he had handled the transfer process better, the 2019 QB competition would have started in New Orleans. With a year of maturity, experience and his talent, Fields would have pushed Fromm to the limit & stood a strong chance of earning the starting job.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To different offenses with 2 different schemes. Georgia runs a ball control offense and Ohio State runs a strike fast offense. Both Qb's do extremely well in their respective systems. Kirby occasionally flashes a hurry up offense and Jake is very impressive when operating that style offense. At the end of the day, Kirby choose who he thought would best operate his offense last year. 2 years ago Saban Choose Hurts to run his offense and it wasn't until late in the National Championship game that Tua got his chance. Justin let it be known he was entering the transfer portal at seasons end. He went on to the Sugar Bowl because it may have looked bad for him to not finish the season out with his teammates but at that point, he wasn't going to get to play. Then he went to OSU and has really looked good there.

Jake is the QB for the University of Georgia and that's who I'm rooting for. I wish Fields and Eason well and hope for their continued success unless they run up against them Dawgs!

BTW, I also enjoy watching Jalen Hurts run Oklahoma's offense.

• Options
    poofedpoofed Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Fromm beat out Fields because he had a year of experience in running the offense under his belt. If the tables were turned and Fields had the experience factor over Fromm then Fields would be the quarterback. Remember Fromm did not beat out Eason. All three of these qbs were top flight.