Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What the national media seems to be missing about Jake Fromm and Justin Fields

2»

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To different offenses with 2 different schemes. Georgia runs a ball control offense and Ohio State runs a strike fast offense. Both Qb's do extremely well in their respective systems. Kirby occasionally flashes a hurry up offense and Jake is very impressive when operating that style offense. At the end of the day, Kirby choose who he thought would best operate his offense last year. 2 years ago Saban Choose Hurts to run his offense and it wasn't until late in the National Championship game that Tua got his chance. Justin let it be known he was entering the transfer portal at seasons end. He went on to the Sugar Bowl because it may have looked bad for him to not finish the season out with his teammates but at that point, he wasn't going to get to play. Then he went to OSU and has really looked good there.

Jake is the QB for the University of Georgia and that's who I'm rooting for. I wish Fields and Eason well and hope for their continued success unless they run up against them Dawgs!

BTW, I also enjoy watching Jalen Hurts run Oklahoma's offense.

• poofedpoofed Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Fromm beat out Fields because he had a year of experience in running the offense under his belt. If the tables were turned and Fields had the experience factor over Fromm then Fields would be the quarterback. Remember Fromm did not beat out Eason. All three of these qbs were top flight.

• RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

biggest difference to me. The Coach's at Ohio St opens up and turns the offense loose. It's not Jake. If Jake was at Ohio st in THAT offense under that staff, He would have similar numbers. Hate to say it.....We do play old man football in Athens.

• EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad we have Fromm but Kirby and Chaney bungled the development of Justin Fields and, because of that ineptness, there was no chance that Fields was gonna stay. Kirby and Dell pursued Fields vigorously on the recruiting trail and then had no clue what to do w/ him when they got him. From the outside looking in, it seemed both Fields opportunities and the amount of the playbook they opened to him when he came in, was almost by design for him not to look great - "run, run, pass(and if it's not there run)" was the playcalling almost every single game - the one time where they opened it up in 2nd half - UMASS - Fields went off - ha 2 TDs and should have had three had D-Rob not dropped a perfect 50yd bomb that hit him right in the hands.

As great as Fromm is for the Dawgs, he is also limited by the overly conservative play-calling of Kirby/Chaney/Coley and has a lot to do w/ why Dawgs lost both the Natty and SECCG versus Alabama. I love the UGA running game as much as anyone but it's time to take the training wheels off the passing offense.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love my Dawgs, but Kirby misused Justin Field when he was at UGA. Or maybe Kirby’s staff doesn’t know how to take full advantage of a quarterback with Justin Fields skill set. But it is certainly obvious that the Ohio State University staff certainly knows how to use a talent like Justin Fields. Going forward Kirby should stick to recruiting Pro-style quarterbacks, but if I was a prospective dual-threat quarterback I would remembered how Justin Fields didn’t work at UGA. Good luck Justin and go Dawgs!