Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tennessee player throws a punch, and UGA player flagged for personal foul

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageTennessee player throws a punch, and UGA player flagged for personal foul

The UGA-Tennessee matchup has had some awful officiating calls against both teams. For the Bulldogs, they can look back at a blown call in the middle of the third quarter. On second-and-2 at the Tennessee 6-yard line, D’Andre Swift was stopped for no gain at the line scrimmage. However, there was a flag thrown in the

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even that obvious blown call won't help old rocky flop..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yep, that was awful officiating. They almost let the game get out of hand a few times. But I’ll take the outcome.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That officiating crew needs to shape up. They reverse a real targeting call, and get confused on which team throws a punch, and flags the wrong team.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree there were bad calls, but to be fair, we benefitted from the personal foul for face mask which not seen on replay. Is there a bias to under call a team considered overmatched, and be stricter to the (considered) superior team? I think there might be (unless Alabama is playing).

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Typical SEC officiating. Not only should that have been half the distance and a first down, the Tennessee player should have had to sit out the next play on account of his helmet coming off for, like, no reason. Naturally, 15 yards against Georgia.

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beyond the refs.

Tonight was at least the third time at Rocky Top the clock and play clock stopped working when a visiting team in a close game came close to the Vols. red zone. Note, tonight the time issues lasted while Georgia had the ball and miraculously ended when Tn. got the ball.

I believe I saw the same or something like this during the Richt era. Saw it happen with Alabama as well a few years ago.

Great way for the defense to get a breather and break up the offensive momentum.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's an understatement to say there are major issues with officiating in college football. There simply are not enough good officials to cover the number of games being played. With many of the best officials sitting in on telecasts providing commentary, the problems are only being highlighted especially when the right calls can't be made with replay reviews. These guys are only human but even technology is not helping at this point. It's every game you watch these days.

• Options

The SEC used to have some really good crews. I was always happy when Steve Shaw was out there. Penn Wagers, not so much. He was a good ref, but he always seemed so biased against the Dogs.

• Options

It’s really bizarre how we have all this technology but routinely deal with malfunctioning clocks. I mean, it’s a clock for crying out loud! It’s shocking how often that happens. Makes me wonder if it is truly random.

• Options
    DawgDaddyDawgDaddy Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

The reason the face mask was not seen was it was actually a horse collar tackle, also a 15 yard penalty. The ref simply misspoke. They were one of the worse crews I have seen but their calls were bad both ways for the most part, it's just they ignored some things for UT that they did not for UGA, that's my beef. Call it consistently and it usually works out.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could be wrong, but I thought horse collar was open field and from the back, neither of which occurred in this instance.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Egregious. I'm honestly supper impressed with how Landers handled himself right there.

But honestly, there were awful calls and no calls to go around. Though I think this might of been the worst one.

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beyond the refs 2

I live in Montana, use Dish sat to watch the games. At least for me, when the prior ESPN game ran long, ESPN announced the Georgia-Tenn. game would start on ESPN2. Okay, switched to ESPN 2- I found the SAME game as on ESPN. ESPN continued to display instructions to go to ESPN2 but, at least for me, the Georgia game never showed up. During a break in the same ESPN game, ESPN did show an update briefly showing Georgia's first touchdown. I do not know if this was Dish's fault or ESPN or somehow ESPN felt western viewers did not care about the Georgia game. Real screw up by someone.

Did anyone else experience this?

Thanks

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At least Bryce Thompson didn't hit a girl this time and didn't threaten to shoot anyone, presumably. Perhaps he should stick to gates.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Rotten Top blew a tire after the second quarter. Bad officiating for the most part.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well in all honesty, the referee did blow the call -- but not in the way most UGA fans (of which I am one) seem to think. If you look at the entire play, the first foul should have been on Landers for illegal hands to the face. Because of that, the Tennessee player responded with a punch to Landers. The referee should have called those two penalties, which would have off-set, and then we could have moved on. I really don't think there's any sort of bias with officials these days. They miss a lot of calls, but that's always been the case. The issue now is that TV networks have a camera for practically every player on the field, so now viewers see everything, in slow motion, and usually with zoom-in cameras. Imagine a TV camera following you on your daily work commute every day and recording every one of your actions. How many various traffic laws would you break?