Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Todd Gurley wears t-shirt that slams the NCAA

SystemSystem Posts: 7,422 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageTodd Gurley wears t-shirt that slams the NCAA

Todd Gurley, who was suspended for four games at UGA in 2014 by the NCAA, wore a t-shirt ripping the governing body of college athletics. Gurley now plays for the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams, and he wore the shirt at his weekly press conference on Thursday. The t-shirt had NCAA in bold letters vertically, and read “Not

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

People are allowed to be paid for their work and talents in this country. It's contrary to The American way for everybody to get market value for their goods and services from CFB except for the people who people pay to see.

• Options
    Jaydawg67Jaydawg67 Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

TG3 is a DGD! However. Be cautious guys. This narrative is being driven by the world wide leader of sports and a liberal agenda. Keep in mind what state started this ! The same state passed this legislation that also makes it where you have to state in a fishing lure to not eat lead! Football is under attack by the left. They attacked it with two narratives. The first being concussions. The second being pay for play. They have been beating the concussion drum. For years but could t get traction. How many times have you watched a special in ESPN about head injuries only to follow with a commercial paying for the whole durn show with a preview of a ppv ultimate fighting event later in the day? I predict in a few short years the game so many of us live for will be gone. It will still be played. But it won’t be near what it is today. The ncaa through poor management and hypocritical stances brought this on itself. Yes. Players should be paid for their likeness. Yes. They should be able to sign autographs and get paid. But this opens up Pandora’s box. A box that will not end well for us fans. California had a great idea? Gimme a break. If you believe that...you been eating too much lead

• Options

I gotta add this...if you think I’m crazy! What’s the last piece of legislation California passed that you think is good?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Paranoid ramblings at 1 in the morning? I'm sold!

• Options
    Dawg4lyfDawg4lyf Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tough subject...I can see both sides. I do think, if you are receiving money in college in this form, you are "taking" some money that would have went to the school (right or wrong). If we go down this bumpy road, I feel the university should be able to recoup the cost of the scholarship they gave you first and what comes in after that should be held in trust for the athlete until they graduate...maybe a fair deal can be worked out for some type of an allowance during college years. Although the schools benefit greatly from the athletes, most of the athletes gain their notoriety because of the schools. As much as I love Sony Michel, Terry Godwin and Roquan Smith and the way they played for the Dawgs, would they have been this well known without UGA (or God forbid, another college who gave him a scholarship)? I watch some NFL players complain that 15 or 20 million just isn't enough and it is painful to think of a college recruit saying something like that (on a smaller scale hopefully) in 10 years. Both schools and athletes benefit from each other so I am not against an athlete having part of the cake...I just don't like when it's made to sound like the college gets all the benefits and the athlete is used and thrown away. Now, let's get back to the real business and handle USCjr...GO DAWGS!

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not hard to see the narrative shifting against the NCAA in this. I'll just say this. Be careful about biting the hand that feeds you.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder how money will be divided. Will the star qb and/or rb get all the money from their products? What about those linemen whose sweat and blood allow those positions to shine? The same for defensive linemen. I can see how this can sew resentment and problems. In the nfl, many of those in the trenches are making more than the ones who touch the ball because management recognizes what it takes to make those stars shine. Jdawg67 asked a question that was my thought after reading the article. "What’s the last piece of legislation California passed that you think is good?" Copiers of california, beware.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Make that "sow" instead of "sew" in my comment.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do see both sides of this issue, but it's also very complex. Of course, who wouldn't want to get paid for signing their names or being used in an ad. But I think there are many unforeseen and unintended consequences down the road that are going to eventually cause problems -- if not the outright elimination -- of college athletics as we know them. The athletes today can't see that, but 10 or 20 years down the road, they'll realize it. I do like the idea of, if you make X amount off your likeness or image, that amount should be deducted from your scholarship amount. I've said this before and I'll say it again -- as strange as it sounds, when the final chapters are history are written I believe we'll find that ESPN was actually the downfall of college sports, especially football, not a godsend. And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE watching games there, but they introduced so much money into the game that it was impossible for everyone, including the players, not to want a chunk of it. As long as we only saw one or two games a weekend, everyone stayed happy. Now, EVERYONE thinks they should get everything.

• Options
    Dawg4lyfDawg4lyf Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ Junior

Excellent points, DallasDawg...50 years ago, you got an autograph because you loved your team and YOU wanted it...you kept it forever. Now, many people get any autograph from any player on any team and immediately put it on Ebay...business, greed, both, whatever...sports simply isn't for the love of anymore...it's about how much money you can make on it at any level. Someday, you will watch a PeeWee football game with a $15 autograph signing at halftime monitored by player's agents...7yo gotta have some cha-ching!

• Options
    SturgisDawgSturgisDawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

My concern is how this will effect recruiting. If a wealthy alumni offers a high school athlete $$$ money for his/her autograph with the promise of more $$$ for more “autographs” in the future if they attend a certain college, is this legal. It’s a slippery slope. I’ve stopped watching professional sports because the money has become ridiculous. Will college athletes be going on strike because the minimum price of an autograph or photo isn’t high enough. The transfer portal has already become a free agent mess thanks to the NCAA and their clear as mudd rules. What will it look like when student athletes at school A find out the third string athlete at school B is getting $$$ for their “likeness”?

• Options

Obviously this has struck a nerve with me. I did some research. The ncaa grants 2.9 billion of scholarships to over 150000 athletes. Once again. I’m not defending the corruption of the ncaa. Heck even ghsa is corrupt and in for the money grab. I’m just saying that we better be durn careful what we wish for

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So, what does an average Georgia student pay each year to attend the University of Georgia. Cost of books, costs of rent, costs of food, costs of attendance? Pay the athletes a good wage, then deduct the costs from the athlete, that the average student pays to attend the same University, problem solved. My granddaughter attends the University of Georgia and it costs her much Moolah to be there. Also, most people are not going to buy T-Shirts with a lineman's image on it, so only the elite RB's and QB's and Wide Receivers will make money this way. Soon all the other players on a team will resent it, because they won't be able to sell their image. I believe 3 was wrong then, and I think he is wrong now. He is now earning millions because of the University of Georgia that gave him a place to be the player that he is now, and the NCAA that oversees the sport that he now mocks. Pay them all, then deduct for costs!

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I understand what you are saying about the cost for average students, but the average students does not have the schedule a student athlete have as far as the demands of school work and preparation for games. Not to say that most time students athletes does not have the luxury of working. Some places the athlete cannot work because it may violate a NCAA rule, like working at a car dealership. The NCAA might look at that athlete getting compensated. Are the NCAA putting insurance on these athletes that is sacrificing their body on a daily bases? So, when the student athletes get hurt and cannot pursue their professional career, they get something for the work they put in to be a student athlete. There are so many restriction to a student athlete, which is so ridiculous. I mean before here recently, student athlete could not transfer to a school of his or her choice because the school could limit them from going to a rival school. Plus, they have to sit out a year before they can be eligible to play and some kids are experiencing that now. But, a coach who get paid millions can accept jobs at any school who wishes to hire them that could be in the same division. Now you have a student athlete come to your school because of a certain coach, the coach leave for a different job, now the student athlete decides they want to transfer because of this, but have to sit out a year in most cases. Maybe a coach who leaves for different job should not be involved in recruiting at his new job until after a year. Let see how that goes. Now if they go for head coaching job then they are allowed to recruit, but a lateral transfer NO. Then coaches and the universities will feel the pain student athletes feel.  

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven’t read the California law but is there a cap on what a player can be paid for a signature? My thoughts being. What’s to stop a booster from handing an athlete a 20,000 dollar check and when the athlete endorses it with his signature (completing transaction) makes it legal?

• Options

I’m glad the dialogue had been stricken. I need to read zero of any law passed in California to know it’s bad. Zero.

• Options

Would all these pros who currently make millions in the nfl be willing to pay for the 147000 student athletes who never get paid a dime for their services? The dgd who never got a penny for a snap in the nfl? Just to make 3k for signing a helmet? Look. I get it. I do. But once again. Remember this conversation. It’s the beginning of the end

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Athletes paid?!!!! That is a slippery, slimey slope.