Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

Comments

• Options
    johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

This team was overrated from the beginning. Either they aren't as good as advertised or they're masters of under achievement.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well said, Mike. If you want to be great, you better have a chip on your shoulder every play. Today was won on desire. Too much focus on stars and depth, and the players seem to think that’s all that’s needed. Hope this wakes them up. BTW—Salyer played a lot of the second half, including crunch time, at RG. Injuries to either Mays or Cleveland, or a coaching decision based on productivity, or lack thereof? Go Dawgs!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I disagree with you, Mike, about the defense today. Granted they haven’t played lights out all year but they have been improvements in areas. Today, they only gave up the one big play, but kept sc in check the rest of the day, minus the penalties. I saw QB hurries, but maybe your definition is different from mine.

I do agree that Georgia, and Kirby in particular, needs to start worrying about the opponents instead of just worrying about Georgia. That got us beat today.

Make sure you writers note that Georgia lost more than sc won.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

'Just need to hand off next week against a watered-down Kentucky team'

NO. They need to unload on Kentucky like its the spring game. Develop chemistry and give these young receivers some more experience.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

This lost hurts bad as a faithful Dawg fan. The coaches got to do something, anything to get the offense going. Do something to motivate the players more. This is not good. Its just a really bad loss to an average team.

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with every word, Mike. We have problems in every phase of the game, starting at “the top”. If we’re to play tough, win in the trenches football, we’re a long way from doing that. Today’s performance, from coaching to Fromm to O-Line to Wolf and Simmons dropping the few passes Fromm three with accuracy —— it was embarrassing

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

The offensive scheme flat out sucks. How is it that inferior opponents can find mismatches to pick on and we can't? How can they mask their weaknesses but we can't when a player is having an off day? How is it that when the running is tough, we never try a lead blocker--fullback or pulling lineman? Why don't we ever drag our great RB receivers across the middle, when our opponents do it to us? Why do we throw all of our short and intermediate routes to receivers standing still, rather than hitting them in stride? And on the other side of the ball we're really solid, but why aren't we confusing backup quarterbacks?

• Options
    DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Take out Fromm's 6 runs, and it's 52-37 pass to run ratio. What for? You were down one touchdown almost the whole game. Run the ball! Make it balanced, Fromm can't throw an interception if you are running the ball. Be who you are, don't try to be someone else. Clearly our O-line is better run blockers than pass blockers, Fromm looked horrible trying to throw the ball that much, and our receivers can't be trusted to throw it that much.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The runs up the middle weren’t working! I knew, my kids knew, and my Labrador knew! For some reason they kept doing it. Where’s the power I? Also I would love to know what our yards after contact are and how we rank? Seems none of our guys have the ability to get past the first guy that touches him.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As much as there has been talk about the ridiculous size of the OL, I'm beginning to wonder if they are too big and slow to be effective at anything other than straight ahead run blocking. I can't remember the last time I saw a pulling guard outside the tackle box. With our opponents constantly stacking the box having no respect at all for our receivers to get open against man coverage, there must be blocking schemes that favor our RBs even when he numbers favor the defense.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is time for Lecounte to spend some time on the pine. Cine or Reece, at worst, will make the same mistakes - certainly no worse - and, very possibly be a substantial upgrade. Hell, at this point, a tackling dummy might cover better.

Not sure why we can't throw over the middle . . . ever. Every pass is a 7 yard curl or a 12 yard back shoulder . . . all on the side lines. Even Lecounte could cover the same pass every down.

Can we please use a fullback (Kenny McIntosh) since we don't have any tight ends. I want to see Zeus run one, just one god-blessed toss sweep behind a pulling Ben Cleveland.

Fromm is fine. Only one pick is on him today - granted, it was the 6-pointer. And, we missed Herrien - could have used some of his heart in the 3rd QTR. Lot of credit to Swift; he ran hard behind mediocre blocking (at best) and still earned more than a hundred tough yards.

For all of the missed plays on the field, this loss belongs on the coaches - terrible play calling.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We won't lose another game you bunch of fake ass fans.

• Options
    NCDawg7NCDawg7 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Opposing inside linebackers have the easiest job in the world. All runs are between the guards, so need to move laterally. Swift has the best cut in college football, and for what? He can't even get an off-tackle run called for him, much less a sweep (God forbid). Our running game literally takes place within a 15 foot gap. It's just maddening.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have seen many heart breaking losses but this one falls at the feet of the coaches. One of the best kickers in the SEC and you do some dumb butt play calling at the end to not even give him a legit chance.. An OL that is massive and gets no forward push when needed. Look at the guys who are lighting up the scoreboard in the SEC and maybe copy a few plays other than the one yard up the middle. My have been 85K UGA disappointed fans in Athens but there are millions more across the country who are saying how the heck can our program fall to such depths.

• Options
    MutleyMutley Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Back to being at South Carolina, Kentucky level. FLORIDA is going to kill Georgia. Back to being Mediocre. Smart may not be the culture changer we hoped for.

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

"Smart’s version of “chopping wood” didn’t work either. The Bulldogs ran the ball consecutively on first and second down on nine occasions, but South Carolina’s defense showed no signs of wear in the fourth quarter or overtime."

Can we try to put to bed the outdated notion that unsuccessfully running the ball throughout the game will "wear down" a defense at the end of the game. This game is a painful example of why that rationale (predictable down play calling) that chooses to sacrifices opportunities, in order to "lean on" teams and eventually stall needs to be retired for good. Our philosophy plays right into the hands of underdogs when offense is inefficient by burning clock and shortening game.

Defenses start to be exposed late in games when they're playing from behind by several scores because they're (1) already demoralized and (2) trying to take chances because they have to.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike pretty much nailed it. Right now this is a coaching problem.