Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Opinion: UGA's shocking loss makes the remaining season impossible to predict

SystemSystem Posts: 10,431 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageOpinion: UGA's shocking loss makes the remaining season impossible to predict

In each of the last two seasons, Georgia has seemingly used an **** loss as a catalytic event. The Bulldogs shook off a beatdown at Auburn in 2017 to win a rematch with the Tigers in the SEC Championship -- earning a Playoff spot in the process. In 2018, UGA rebounded from a humbling defeat at LSU to win

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HootiePepperHootiePepper Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

The sky has literally fallen thanks to Chicken Little and the Columbia free range roosters. We will see if this UGA team is about "doing more" or not. So far the only more they have done is:

• ran the ball "more" than any other team in CFB on 2nd down and made scheming against UGA way too easy
    • thrown the ball to out routes or dink and dunk screens "more" than any legitimate championship contender can all and remain scary or a real threat to defenses
    • Coaches have made "more" late game idiot calls and left the faithful scratching our heads saying, "What in the lilly liver sam hades is CKS thinking?"
    • Fielded "more" of the most talented teams in the land and underperformed when it counted
    • talked "more" about culture and winning the day than they have won the day or changed culture
    • heaped "more" disappointment on the fanbase than they deserve.

Frankly this loss is 100% on the coaching staff. Our kids need "more" out of a staff that claims to be on the doorstep of a Natty.

• Options
    Rusty69Rusty69 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore

I like coach Smart and believe he can take GA to the next level. But he either has not learned his lesson or picks O Cs that have the same mentality!! The dawgs always seem to be their own worst enemy.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

Looking kind of Eason-less. When Smart chose Fromm over Eason he picked the back shoulder throw and the fade over the 4-seam fastball. We all ain't **** and know that Fromm won the job because his passes were soft and hung in the air a long time. The Flinstone man from across the river knew that if he could slow down the run and pressure From, his tall athletic corners would make some interceptions. There's no Chubb and Michelle or Roquan Smith to step up and be "the man" on this team. If these guys don't start playing like four and five star players the season will be a failure. There's a short timeline between program saver and failed opportunity. Ask Goff and Donnan

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" fact that the Bulldogs find themselves in the same scenario year after year of needing to overcome a bad loss should probably cause Smart to take a long look at the possibility that some sort of systemic failing is what’s producing those results..."

BINGO.

The Dawgs are overhyped and overrated almost every year...WHY? Because we get Top 5 recruiting classes year after year... believe me, we aren't the only elite program that falls short year after year...so it comes to (3) things - coaching (most important), the right mix of playmakers, and simple luck.

However, Saban has a revolving door of coaches year after year and still mamages to play for the Natty almost annually. His record against his former coaches is 17-0 after yesterday. Amazing.

Unfortunately, the Dawgs have been on this never-ending disappointment merry-go-round for decades. One excuse after another...time for us to figure it out quickly or change the coaching staff.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

By not letting Hot Rod not try a 60 yarder stole the kickers "mojo" destroyed his moxie and reduced him to average. That kick-six against Auburn must have made Kirby chicken. Chance missed game lost - forever. I assumed Smart had some guts. No he's just animated.

• Options
    hmjackson36hmjackson36 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I never comment on this site. I'm just a long-time lover of Georgia Football but I'm not really qualified to analyze a football team but my comments below just seemed obvious to me.

Kirby is a great recruiter and probably a good administrator but I'm not sure he is a good in-game coach. A simple example is what did he have to loose to let Hot Rod try that field goal right at the end of regulation.

I also question his choices of Defensive and Offensive coordinators. Maybe these guys age good recruiters but that should not be the main consideration in choosing Coordinators. A program as talented as Georgia should have big-time, experienced Coordinators with a track record similar to our offensive line coach. The two men we have grade school qualifications. We kept trying long passes instead of what the defense was giving us just beyond the linebacker level. As far as the defense is concerned their quarterback was pressured very little.

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
  • Options

5 star talent......3 star coaching

• Options

Muschamp out coached Kirby.

• Options
    ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Georgia was not a perfect team by any means but all season it's felt like there has been no fire with these guys. It's felt like the regular season was just a prologue for them and they thought getting to the SEC championship game against Alabama was just a given and all they had to do is play consistently and they would just overwhelm teams through talent alone.

The change they need, more than anything, is for somebody to step up impose their will on the rest of the team to impose their will on their opponents for the rest of the season.

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree, BA. After 6 games, we have NO IDEA what we have as a football team, I’m going to try my hardest to just step back and take a deep breath. We’ll see what Kirby Smart is made of as a coach over these next 6 weeks...

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all need to read Brandon Adams on his take after the pathetic loss to SC. Well stated and makes sense. He even recoginzes how "stubborn" K. Smart has become to the point of losing to hapless teams that likely won't even earn a playoff bid. Radical change is the answer. You can be a super team and lose as he describes. All the big boys have had it happen...their response....change. Result...winners again. Most changes made? Quarterback. Fromm is smart at reading a defense.....but not agile as great QBs generally are or even seemingly strong enough to get the ball to the receiver at times and is now throwing interceptions...strong may not be the right word. Anyway, Kirby has to make a change.....somehow or UGA's the fate will probably be the same. Smart seems to lack discipline and the unmitigated will to WIN! Coaches are like generals....they plan and FIGHT to WIN! Not keep from losing. Kirby is not a team motivator. James Coley is a dead fish....no imagination. Response: change. Or..we will continue to write these sorts of articles and comments ad infinitum. Let's have some positive news!!!!!! Rip into KY DAWGS! Run them off the field ....FIGHT with FIRE! WIN!

LET'S GO DAWGS!

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think this may hurt recruiting. The 5* DL fom SC, who people think is between UGA, SC, Clemson. May now choose SC. Why not? They ran 4 and 5 men at the line and put a lot of pressure on Fromm. We had 5 and 6 men and produced nothing (excluding Tyler's vicious hit in OT). 2 top TE/ATH, why would they? To block most of the time? Big fan of Fromm, but can not help with the pressure. Can't run.

Why Lecounte? Why Simmons? Both have shown multiplefailures over the last couple of weeks.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW- regardless of how this season plays out. NOBODY has the right to say GA deserves anything.

• Options
    armeckarmeck Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2019

For UGA this season, even though Jake Fromm struggled vs. the Gamecocks, no one would suggest a quarterback change be considered.

Correct, because any viable replacements left school due to going all in on Check Down Jake.