Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fans wonder: Was loss to Gamecocks a hiccup, or were Dawgs exposed?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageFans wonder: Was loss to Gamecocks a hiccup, or were Dawgs exposed?

Offense, coaching come up short on embarrassing day Between the Hedges

Read the full story here

Comments

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Name Kirby UGA's Recruiting Coordinator and hire a head coach.

• ARdawgARdawg Posts: 8 ✭✭ Sophomore

No doubt the Dawgs were exposed. Mostly exposed for poor coaching and lack of leadership on the team. The two solid rocks Fromm and Blankenship had bad days , the coaching and team leadership failed to make a difference. Carolina was more prepared and flat out played a more talented team. The sun came up this morning and there are more games to play. There is a lesson for those young Dawgs here, I hope they got it. GO DAWGS!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First, I'm a Kirby fan. However, there are no two OCs in the country who could have such similar schemes and play calling as Chaney and Coley and it not be based on orders from the HC. Not only is there unimaginative play calling, it's also unimaginative blocking schemes. I've come to think our OL is incapable of anything other than straight ahead run blocking making runs up the middle impossible against loaded boxes.

Kirby is at about the same place Dabo was at the same point in their head coaching career but far ahead in recruiting. For the talent to maximize it's potential, Kirby needs to learn quick that he can't continue to instill the fear of losing in his team and allow his offense to play to their capabilities rather than his limited expectations.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let me make this perfectly clear. The defense did NOT lose this ballgame. They did give up the long TD and had some questionable penalties, but the D shut them out in the second half and only gave up 3 points in double OT. The ridiculous offensive play AND play calling lost this game. (Chaney wasn’t this bad). Plus poor decisions by the head coach. This loss is so different from the ones from the last 2 years. Those losses were to good teams. This loss was to a BAD team that lost to a terrible acc team to start the year. Add this, our record has to be 0-for vs any type of backup QBs. This was no hiccup. This was projectile vomiting. I can realistically see our Dawgs losing 3 of the last 6. I thought our days of losing games like this were over. Guess not. That’s due to the dramatically lack of leadership on this team with all of the 4 & 5 stars that have talent but no leadership abilities.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill,

Question that’s haunted me and I can’t find the answer;

Is it just our players being soft or does it seem like everyone tackles better when they play Georgia? What are our yac compared to natl Avg?

also, what happened to the toss sweep? Or power -I??

Just seems our guys don’t shrug off tackles like in years past.

Also, feel like Fromm is the smartest guy in the field. I believe our play calling with the dives actually turned us into the equivalent of a triple option team without the athletes.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill.. I'd have to agree with your son about Coley. Numerous weapons to utilize but doesn't seem to know how to manage the distribution of the ball so they get a chance to show their talents..GoDAWGS!

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

"all those schools running high-scoring spread attacks used to subscribe to the power running game that Smart clings to so desperately."

At this point, Kirby has no choice. When Justin Fields walked out the door in January, Kirby's fate was tied to Jake Fromm's ceiling as a QB. Fromm is good when he has a great running game behind him, but three years in, it's plain to see he's limited physically. He doesn't seem capable of throwing anything past ten yards that isn't a back shoulder pass, he seems to be unwilling or incapable of throwing to the middle of the field, and he constantly misses open receivers on deep passes. Plus, he doesn't look like he can throw very well when he's on the move.

Georgia is able to overcome the box stuffing defenses of teams with far less talent but when the talent is equal or at least close and they dare Fromm to beat him with his arm or legs, he can't do it. Suddenly, his "Game Manager" skills go out the door and he looks terrible. This is what Alabama has done to him the last two seasons, it's what LSU did last year, and it's what USC did yesterday. Plus, it's curious, how much credit he gets for changing the team in to good plays when they win, but when they lose it's the fault of the coaching staff alone.

• dawg199dawg199 Posts: 6 ✭✭ Sophomore

Those that saw the game inside the stadium know how bad we were beaten at every position, including coaching, when we were on offense. And clock management was inexcusable. Hire better coaches, HC Smart. That embarrassment is one you.

• FrankDGFrankDG Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

A few weeks ago Clemson came very close to doing the same thing against North Carolina. They pulled it out when Mack Brown decided to go for two and UNC didn't get it. They didn't turn the ball over four times and still almost lost the game. UNC should have taken it to OT though I understand Brown's thinking. Clemson struggled to move on UNC. Georgia could still have won this game as bad as they played. The playcalling wasn't good but what I saw was a team that expected to walk out there and win. South Carolina showed up and played harder. You can tell if a team is ready by how they block and how they tackle. Georgia laid an egg last year against LSU and turned it around. Hopefully they can do the same this year. Kirby's decision to not kick with 8 seconds left does concern me. But lest we forget Dabo and Nick both took awhile to get where they are as head coaches. Neither of them was who they are today in their 4th season. Not even close. Hopefully Kirby will learn from this.

• RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bill, You ended with " left out of the final Four"..... You are kidding , right? This team has several great players and many many flaws ( hello Coach Richt)..... Now, we are banged up. But so are other teams. Carolina wanted it more. Dawgs treated this game as to look down the list and see a W by it weeks ago. All this game did was put 8 million in Muschamps bank account, for he'll live off this win and potential for the next two years.. Everybody over there was already picking out the new head coach on their bye week. We could end up 8-4. The tape is there for our foes to watch. Muschamp stopped the run and played 5 DB's 10-15 yards back spread across the field and took away Fromms sweet spot. He had nowhere to throw.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Questionable play calling and terrible execution, nuff said!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

' My buddy Scott summed up the game like this: “Bottom line is their DBs outplayed our WRs, their D-line outplayed our vaunted O-line on the run, Fromm had a bad day and we were outcoached by a team with not even half our talent.” '

Exactly.

However, we've come to this fork in the road SO many times before in previous seasons. Losing to a cupcake and simply laying an egg. How we respond for the rest of the season will be the telling tale.

Fromm is not a mobile QB, and it comes back to haunt us every time he is consistently pressured. Like you said Bill, Fromm is 0-5 when he has to throw more than 30 times per game. And our OL has some big boys, but they aren't doing a good job overall.

The worst part of this loss is the coaching. Too vanilla/conservative, not aggressive, and lack of explosive plays.

How does Saban manage his revolving door of coaches year after year and still keep winning? How is he 17-0 against his former coaches? Figure that out and we'll find the winning formula.

Oh yes, and to answer your headline question - the DAWGS were exposed. SC had a perfect defense against us - load the box, stuff the run, pressure Fromm, and make him throw a LOT to a core of inexperienced receivers working against excellent man coverage.

• tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

If you were not worried about our offense in the first 5 games you are just not honest with yourself. Yes we beat inferior teams by good margins, but in my opinion we really did not look sharp or anything like other offenses of top 5 rated teams.

Still not convinced ND is that GREAT and we barley beat them now we look like we did against a not so good SC team. SC is not good, look how we played and we still could have pulled it out in the end.

If our offensive coordinator has total control then to me it is obvious Kirby made a mistake with that hire.

Very vanilla and predictable and not willing or capable of making adjustments.

Our defense gave up 10 points and we could not overcome it. How do you think every future opponent is going to play us. Tight man to man and stack the box. If SC can do that and us not adjust how do you think we score on teams with much better defensive personnel and offenses that can actually threaten us.

Yes we had turnovers and take them away we probably squeak that game out but do you think we squeak it out against Florida, Auburn, MO, A & M. Better not turn it over against Kentucky or we will again be trying to squeak it out.

Now we will see if we can make changes or do we keep butting our head against the wall.

It is not our players, most of the offensive line will go to the next level, the QB will go to the next level and Swift will go to the next level, recievers still to be determined but they are talented, it is in the offensive scheme.

• Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

In a strange way, the way this game ended was not the biggest disappointment. I think a lot of folks saw this loss coming with the pick 6, when the disappointment of being outcoached, outplayed, and outscored at that point by a 21 point underdog really hit home. Even when their 3rd string QB came into the game, did anyone have a good feeling the offense was going to stop shooting themselves in the foot, or that the receiving game would magically open up? Not me...the dread remained, and it was further exacerbated by this sequence - 1) run up the middle 2) run up the middle 3) incomplete pass on 3rd and long. And if the hold doesn't occur, I doubt seriously that a completion would have occurred on that 4th down play on that game-tying drive. By all rights, it was a miracle that the Dawgs even got to 17 points. The glaring problem is that no one fears the WR group. It says a lot that an injured receiver is the best play-maker...and make no mistake, Cager is the difference between one and two losses right now. He is awesome, a leader, but we need the young guys to get open and make plays. Blame it on the coaching, the play-calling, or just being out of sync...but there has to be a way to bring some fear of the passing game going forward, or it will be a mid tier bowl this year.

With all of that said, what a flub at the end of regulation - you have no timeouts and 8 seconds, and the short-passing game has been atrocious all game...why even try a dangerous side route and chance another pick six or letting the clock run out. You've got the best kicker in the game, and he hit a 50 yd attempt earlier...let him try from 55 yd! I know there is a fear of a kick 6 or a block, but what are the odds compared to Blankenship "winning" the game right there? If he misses it, I doubt seriously it would be short enough to be returned. Even at 60...you saw the guy warming up. These were all first guess thoughts on my part, but we'll never know.

Hopefully this is just that clunker game that precedes better days - Go Dawgs!

• Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Btw Bill, many thanks for your great column. I appreciate it more than any other out there. Thanks