Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Critics tackle Georgia, players feel challenged 'to go out and prove something'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageCritics tackle Georgia, players feel challenged 'to go out and prove something'

ATHENS — Georgia football doubters and critics emerged from the shadows Saturday night and Sunday, finally able to take a clear shot at Kirby Smart and his talented roster. The Bulldogs' 16-game home win streak and 15-game streak against SEC East opponents, dating back almost three years, finally came to an end and

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At this point it’s all that can be done. Time to put things in perspective. All the heaping on and finger pointing by us fans needs to be over. I have done my share of it but it’s over for me. I still believe in all these young men. They want to win as much as all us fans want them to win. I’ll still support them because they always have been and always will be my beloved Georgia Bulldogs! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"...it also gives us a great opportunity to go out and prove something.”

So did the South Carolina game.

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

over and over and over up the middle between the Guards........When it wasn't working........Is that all we got

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is merely one example of how disconnected Kirby Smart is: "He tried to throw the ball away and didn’t get enough on it to get it out of bounds and the kid picked it off." Jake Fromm, speaking to the press, said he was trying to throw a "him only" pass, that only his receiver could get. He was not trying to throw the ball away. So, what did happen? The receiver didn't come back to the ball. That's what? Coaching. Can't get separation? Why not? Don't work against press coverage in practice? Why not? And, most telling, the entire Smart philosophy that he's going to simply have bigger, more "physical" linemen and "break" the other teams' "will" late in games is something out of a TV movie. It's the SEC. Everybody's big and physical (well, with a couple of exceptions). UGA has a host of very talented players. Remember when the knock on Richt was that they didn't "coach up" their talent? UGA needs to "coach up" their coaching staff - and that starts at the top.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate like heck that we lost, especially to a team we should’ve beaten easily. For what ever reason, we simply looked unmotivated. How can that be? Oh yes, the play calling was awful as well. And I hate those **** noon kick offs. Why can’t our games at least kick off around 3:30 at the earliest?

I just hope our boys know that no one is going to feel sorry for them. They put themselves in this hole, which they can get out of by taking care of business the rest of the way. Our dream season has not been ruined just yet, but we got to bust our tails to get better. We need to play like an angry bunch the rest of the season. Losing sucks, I don’t want to have to go through this junk again, and I hope they don’t either. Work your tails off, Dawgs! You CAN overcome this set back, but YOU have got to want to do so. Don’t forget how bad this loss feels, remember it each day and bust your tails to get better.

Lets GATA!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Muschamp did two things Saturday. He set his defense to stop the run based on our lack of imagination....and he put 3 DB's and 2 LB's about 10-12 yards across the field behind his front 5 and took away Fromm's sweet spots and played 1 deep to keep from getting beat over the top IF Fromm tried it. It worked because his front guys sold out to plug the middle to stop our limited play calling. It worked. Watch the replay and see.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can imagine how his initial conversation went.

"Nick, I've taken the HC job at UGA...do you have any advice?"

"Congratulations, here's a playbook that should get you where you want to be. Stick to what you do best on the defense, and keep the offensive play as conservative as you can. Remember the old saying: when you pass, 3 things can happen and only one of them is good."

"Nick, God bless you for all of your help."

"God bless you for yours."

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mark Richt's teams had an amazing ability to play to the level of their opponent. His teams always seemed to come out flat against inferior opponents, especially later in his tenure at UGA.

I thought we had changed the culture of the program under Smart and moved away from that, until Saturday. Ever notice how Alabama never comes out flat? Ever notice how Alabama almost always seems MORE focused and motivated than their opponent, no matter how big of a favorite they are?

I thought Smart had brought some of that team culture to Athens... until Saturday.

Even if we had somehow won the game in overtime, the play of this team Saturday would still be extremely disturbing. Do they think they are so good that they don't have to play hard?

After the game a few UGA players were quoted as saying something to the effect that they underestimated SC and thought they weren't very good.

If this disease has re-infected the UGA program, the sad truth may be that the Rose Bowl will be the highlight of Kirby's time at UGA.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

SCAR beat UK 24-7 in Columbia...that was the first sign that maybe Muschamp is trying to turn things around.

This Saturday, we're at home, so both games UK is the away team so that would make this as fair of a comparison as possible, I guess.

If Saturday was a fluke (which I really hope it was), we have to absolutely control UK from start to finish.

With the motivation from Saturday, this game needs to be a 56-0 shutout.

Until I see otherwise, Saturday's loss gives me doubts about commitments and recruiting.

• Options

One more thought on this depressing Monday...

We hear ALL THE TIME about how to play Wide Receiver at UGA, you have to be able to BLOCK.

Yeah, yeah, that's great.

Maybe CATCHING THE BALL is a skill our WR's should have too, right Tyler? Eli?

• Options

And another thing...

How does Kirby explain, with a straight face, that Blankenship can't make a 60-yard field goal when we've seen him make several tries from shorter distances that WOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD from 60 yards?

Blankenship kicks every kickoff from the 35 yard line to approximately five yards behind the back of the end zone, and Kirby is going to "explain" to all of us that Rod just doesn't have the leg to make it from 60?

And instead, we try a Hail Mary that could easily be fumbled or intercepted and run back?!?

The Hail Mary, compared to the attempted FG, had a lower chance of success and a higher chance of a catastrophic outcome (being returned for a game-winning SC score.)

Other than that, GREAT CALL, KIRBY!

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

It ain't the players that need to regroup, it's this Mickey Mouse coaching staff that needs to pull their heads out of their behinds. Saturdays game was Ray Goff era coaching and it's inexcusable. Did Georgia really fire the second most successful coach in their history to hire a guy to lose to an unranked 2-3 Carolina at home? What a joke

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

Somebody tell Jake that passing is still hand to eye coordination. You have to guide the ball with your eyes even 40 yards down field. Don't just lay it out there. Guide it in there. Also, tell Simmons that catching a ball is a decision. It's right there within your grasp, you have one instant to think, "I've got to catch that ball," or you can just let it go. It's a decision! Seven year old kids buy into that philosophy and become pass catchers. Be a pass catcher, it's not difficult!

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

I fell out with Kirby and Ogeron when they used the F word on camera during the game. Really, fellows? Do y'all go around saying F this F that? I expect better than potty-mouth Muschamp.