Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia's Kirby Smart 'very pleased' with OC James Coley, addresses home fans booing

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia's Kirby Smart 'very pleased' with OC James Coley, addresses home fans booing

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart and D'Andre Swift responded to being booed in Sanford Stadium, and Smart shared his take on OC James Coley

Read the full story here

Comments

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here's a news flash. Kirby Smart being "pleased" with a coach is not definitive. Because he is not, so far, a very good judge of such things. A sub-par performance by a "supposed" top-flight team does not become all OK because the head coach proclaims that he's "satisfied" with it, regardless of what the fans in attendance think. The fans might have a better sense of his team than he does. Right now - Alabama, LSU, and (painfully) even UF, will blow UGA off the playing field. Let's see if Kirby is "satisfied" with that.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am glad the coaches are happy because the fans certainly were not. I have never heard the boo birds in Sanford Stadium like we heard tonight. I am sure the recruits there for the game were not impressed as every seat in the recruiting stands was empty for the entire second half. Kirby is taking the loyalty of Dawgnation for granted and he does so at his own peril. If we get blown out in Jax and at Auburn, this season is going to get **** fast.

• MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

We just gotta play better because we just don't get those free calls that Alabama get

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby is just like most head coaches...his ego is clouding his judgment. Well coach, I watched Florida put up 38 points in the same, or worse, weather you just played in. Good luck with that. We get to hear 2 weeks of coachspeak BS and then the wheels come off. No confidence whatsoever in this coaching staff getting ready to play Florida. None.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

2 weeks coach, Jacksonville is a playoff game.

• GODAWGS70GODAWGS70 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

Unless something dramatic happens regarding the offense, and I don't think that will happen........Kirby will still be chopping wood after we lose Florida and Auburn

• DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2019

I wouldn't compare the conditions with the Florida game, because the Georgia game's conditions looked much worse. Plus, Florida got 21 points off blown calls by the Refs.

I don't know why all of sudden Georgia fans want our team to turn into a Big12 offense.. our team is built to be a ground and pound team that eats clock and keeps high scoring offenses off the field, resting our defense..

We can't be who we are not.. our O-line is built to be maulers with occasional pass protection duties on play action, not pass protection 35+ times/game.. heck, I don't trust Fromm or his reads to want to throw it that much. Georgia is a ball control, wear you down until the 4th quarter, take selected shots team, NOT LSU, NOT BAMA, NOT UF. I believe our overall Defense is better than those three teams defenses.

• SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is known as “selective hearing”. My wife routinely accuses me of having it.

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Asses him for the season and if you feel that an end-around 7 times a game and 12 screens and a few 7-10 yard pass attempts is a good offensive system then CKS should be fire right along with Cooley

Never noticed rain or snow to slow an offense , wind maybe if its strong , extreme cold maybe ….. Conditions were not the cause …. sure didn't slow Carolina or the Gators in a game where they both just kept scoring

Some of the blame also should fall to Fromm who has multiple options on routes and is scared to push the ball deep and would rather check off

Its not the number of yards a game that bothers me its the complete lack of a system. Most Highschool teams across the country run a more complex scheme than Georgia this season,

ND put the BluePrint in place on how to beat the dawgs and expect to see 10 men in the box and defenses force Fromm to win the games from here out. I think we win them all on pure talent till we play FL / AUB / maybe TXAnM

You might of been frustrated with the guy Cooley replaced you might have been frustrated with Bobo however at least both had working offensive system not entirely reliant on broken and missed tackles where we just out athlete the other team …… It should be expected that a game plan involves exploiting your teams strong points and the other teams weak points

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Defensive coordinators do not make great head coaches,

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I read the article it says fans were booing the team. That is not the case.

That said, Kirby & Company's job was to win the game. That they did. Much of what Kirby said makes perfectly good sense. It's easy enough to be critical, but why not celebrate the fact that we won convincingly, and the fact that we were much improved in our offensive performance as the game went one, and the fact that we have a very good record and a top ten team going into Jacksonville?

We have two weeks to get better at what we do. We can be a better Georgia team. We can not be a non-Georgia team. We're not designed and built that way.

Go, Dawgs!

• DawgForLifeDawgForLife Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

I hope the armchair coaches breaking it down for the rest of us what UGA needs to do better were at least at the game. The decision making process for which receiver Fromm needs to improve on and target are only visible a very short time prior to snap on my 70" Samsung. UGA has issues at receiver right now yes. Everybody knows that.

Never seen weather like Saturday night effect an offense? Are you serious? I watched SC/Fla. Athens was worse. Even still both QBs looked like they were tossing chang-ups.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is hard for a head coach to see the forest for the tree (not trees) in James Coley who was the assn't OC and now OC. Foley stands out to Kirby...why? Because he has no one else at this juncture. He is it...so Kirby supports him. In his head Kirby may not like what he is doing...we just do not know that. Coaches hide things and deal on their own with them. Kirby may well let him go at season's end. The OC is one dimensional...mostly. Sending Herrien and Swift, et al, play after play can work on a 3-now 4-loss team but not on Florida...uh uh. Florida plays a wide open game....loose and fast...bursting runs and lots of sky. South Carolina is no slouch...as UGA now knows... but was no match for Florida's high energy offense. UGA will have to spread out its defense to contain FL. and leave themselves vulnerable to explosive runs. Smart better pray for rain in two weeks or he is probably heading for loss number 2. But then I do believe in miracles..!

Go Puppies!!!

• rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

The offense is going to take on the philosophy and style of the head coach. The OC is going to design a game plan consistent with that philosophy. Kirby’s philosophy is in the pre-Tua Saben mood: A pounding run game and great defense and an offense that takes what you give it. Losing the top four receivers from last year cannot be discounted. These young receivers haven’t been able to get open against man coverage. Top that off with an 0:4 turnover ratio against SC and it’s a problem. Hopefully, the receivers get better in Jacksonville.

• Dawg4LiFE34Dawg4LiFE34 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Y’all are all ridiculous. Georgia got upset by South Carolina, it’s football it happens. If Georgia would’ve beat South Carolina then no one would even be talking like this. You all would be saying we’re going to stomp the gators and blah blah blah. Stop being fair weather fans and stand behind the Dawgs or get of the wagon. If you boo the team you support you’re not much of a supporter. Y’all make me sick! Go Dawgs!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg4life34, I doubt the fans were booing the team at large. Pretty sure it was the stubborn and ineffective play calling. More than likely, the booing didn't accomplish anything, but it's pretty understandable nonetheless.

As was pointed out by others here, they finally started opening up the offense at least a little bit with some runs to the outside after halftime, and lo and behold the points increased from 0 to 21.