Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 takeaways from Georgia's 21-0 win, some reminders for booing fans

2»

Comments

• Options
    SouthGeorgiaEagleSouthGeorgiaEagle Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Something for the Dawg fans to think about, there is not many teams including top one who could have pulled this win off. Because our DAWGS know how to HUNKER DOWN

• Options
    Jaylittle23Jaylittle23 Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yea...ok coach....the out is a much tougher throw than down the middle of the field...try again!

• Options

Go pull for another team with your hard earned money...give me a break...some fan you are!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DallasDawg - Very well said. The main thing I take issue with concerning the Dawgs is CKS unwillingness to change his offensive philosophy during the game when it's not working. He's on the verge of being more like Les Miles than Nick Saban. Secondly, how can other teams with less talented receivers somehow get them open every game? Let's stop blaming the receivers and take a look at the high school routes they run. Why not study the passing concepts of teams who put up passing numbers?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Valid points Mike. I wasn't at the game, so I wasn't part of the booing brigade. However, I have definitely been vocal here on my displeasure of how the season has played out thus far.

MY MAIN Issues:

• #1 - Coaching and play calling has been conservative, unimaginative, and as if we are playing not to lose. Few big plays and no creative ways have been used to get our playmakers the ball.
    • Little use of our tight ends for passes
    • If our OL is supposedly the best in the nation and we have one of the best backfields in the nation, WHY are average teams able to stop or significantly slow down our run game much of the time? Why aren't we doing more to get those RBs outside either by some read-option or some quick pass (either slant or behind the line)?
    • I do think our defense is solid, but it has become obvious in several games against average teams that good QBs can pick apart our defensive secondary.

We barely beat Notre Dame and played so conservatively that we almost lost the game in the end. South Carolina stuffed our run game for much of the day, and KY did a good job as well stopping our run game in the 1st half. If every team is going to load the box against our run, then why in the world aren't figuring out better and consistent ways to get our tight ends and other playmakers the ball out in space? We don't have to have the best receivers in the nation if Fromm is such a great passer. But the coaches have to work picks and crossing routes into the play calling much better in order to disrupt the flow of the defense and get those guys to back off the front line. If we don't figure out how to spread out the defense of the better teams coming up, then there's a good chance we may not win those games. We can't rely on keeping opposing offenses off the field if we can't make 1st downs in the 1st place!! (poor 3rd and 4th down conversion rates)

The elite teams don't use excuses like injuries and losing guys to transfer and the draft as the reason why they are struggling. Bama has a revolving door of coaches every single year, loses tons of players to the draft every single year, and I don't see Saban losing a single step on his hold of the Top 1-3 teams in the nation every single year. UGA gets just as good if not better recruits (recently better) than Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. We get Top 5 recruiting classes just about every year. We've only made it to the CFP one time. ONCE. That's it. And close just isn't good enough.

And then like we have done SO many times before in previous seasons, we lay an egg like we did against SC.

Sure, the Dawgs get overhyped by the media and are often overrated initially. However, the reason that programs like Georgia's is so hyped up is because of the expectations for fans/alumni that come along with these kind of elite recruiting classes year-after- year and the millions of dollars spent in coach's salaries and facility additions/upgrades. etc.

Some of the criticism is warranted. And yes, some of it is overblown. However, the fans want a Championship. And rightly so.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

When uga hired Kirby Smart did anyone know what kind of hc he was going to be? I didn't and it's a heavy price to pay when you hire someone with zero experience and whether you want to believe it or not he is still learning on the job and we as fans will just have to ride it out and hope for the best.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't know about you, but so far I've at least gotten a trip to Pasadena out of it.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2019

I'm glad for you Classof98, however, I have to give Sony and Chubb credit for meeting with Kirby and Chaney to express their feelings about how they should be utilized, otherwise, the 2017 season could have been entirely different.

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jaylittle23: I Have been a UGA fan and alum for over 50 years. Season ticket holder and donate to the Athletic Association . Obviously I am an independent thinker and do not follow blind loyalty and faulty judgement like yourself.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Our defense isn't the best in the nation but they are elite. I want to love our offense but our O-line is hit AND miss, our receivers aren't getting separation. Is Pittman a better recruiter than Coach? Can Coley get more creative?

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

I've got you by a few years on all accounts but don't agree with you on your "independent thinking" .

A smattering of applauses for your effort though....

• Options
    MountainDogMountainDog Posts: 151 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s simple: don’t boo the kids. Express your displeasure other ways, but don’t boo at the game. You can rationalize all you like about booing the coaches, game plan, offensive philosophy, etc., not the team, but the kids working their butts off hear those boos. So do recruits. You’re actively encouraging recruits to second guess the thought of coming to Athens. In just a few weeks’ time the boo birds changed Sanford from the nation’s most electric atmosphere vs. Notre Dame to an embarrassment.

• Options

You are showing your age...booing your own team doesn’t really qualify as an independent thinker in my youthful experience but what do I know? I had rather be a blind loyalist than boo my team...but again what do I know. Just know that when you are in the stands booing...the true fans around you will stare and wonder who the jerk is!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would suggest the same fans that cheered and screamed on a Swift TD run are many of the same ones who booed when they ran it on 3rd and long and didn't even bother to try to, say, hit a 5 yard pass and see if maybe the defender slips down, when you have a QB who was being touted as a Heisman candidate late in the 2nd quarter when it's 0-0 and the offense is floundering against a lesser opponent. THere isn't a "cheering section" and a "booing section", there are just fans. THe booing was like when it's 4th and 1 on the opponents 40 yard line and you decide to punt instead of go for it. THere were thousands of real UGA fans there in the rain getting soaked who love their team, love the players who booed a couple of coaching decisions. I guess they need to all go cheer for some other team. Is that what I'm reading? WHat snowflakes.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the booing is completely appropriate. I mean, how many Dawg fans were yelling at their TVs? Is that considered "poor form"? Maybe the fans just should've left at halftime and said "screw this": would that have been better? Booing shows passion and the fans have it.

Lets face it, the announcers on TV for the past couple of games pretty much (although as gently as their could) tore the coaching staff a new one questioning the play calling. What does that tell you??

And again, they... were... booing... the... COACHES. I'm sure the players would agree if they were to truly allowed to speak their minds.