Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: Nation's No. 1 TE Arik Gilbert to decide right after UGA official

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageBREAKING: Nation's No. 1 TE Arik Gilbert to decide right after UGA official

5-star Marietta High senior Arik Gilbert was just at UGA for his official visit over the weekend. Now, he's ready to make his college decision known.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    cbthomascbthomas Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Fans picked the worst game to boo the team with Gilbert there on his official. I hate to say it too....... but I don’t believe we get him. Hopefully his mom has a lot of influence on him.

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

The fans weren't booing the team. They were booing the offensive playcalling. There's a big difference. This kid's going to Alabama or Clemson, and with our antiquated offensive scheme, can't really blame him.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

The coach is part of the team. I get your point, but it’s still a bad look to have our fans booing. But that’s their right to do so. They pay for their tickets and they can boo if they want, no matter what I or anyone else thinks. I guess that’s the nature of the business. And I agree with you, this guy is not UGA bound, which stinks.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

My thoughts exactly! You don't think this was by design to keep them an extra year to allow Fromm and WRs to gel while Beck gets acclimated do you?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but maybe Kirby got worried about who he would lose this year after who we lost last year.

I'm just scratching my head as to what has happened...

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who knows what Gilbert will decide, but one thing's for sure, Ga needs great receivers and tight-ends in the worst kind of way. The field is wide open for any 5-star WR or TE who picks the Dawgs.

I like Georgia's chances with Gilbert. GOOODAWGS...

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Auburn lost a five star commitment OLB yesterday. How could that happen with the excitement of their wide open offense? After all, their QB in that offense that many on DN think the Dawgs don't stand a chance of beating is completing 56% of his passes for barely a seven yard average with a long of 49 yards. Of course, our offense is the worst offense in the history of pathetic offenses. Our QB is completing over 70% of his passes for over an eight yard average with a long of 60 yards. How can that be? With all the doom and gloom of what our offense is going to do to recruiting, how many commits have we lost? Gilbert will be a Dawg and will be a key piece to winning a Natty before he leaves!

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did you make it to the game and sit in those conditions only to watch a continuation of the terrible play calling from SC? The only time we did anything was when the OC had the imagination to run the ball outside the tackles. It was infuriating to watch and an even worse look than frustrated fans that booed. The play calling is what sealed the deal for Gilbert not the fans reaction to it. In fact I would go so far as to say it might have helped in Gilbert's recruiting to know that fans don't like the garbage playing either.

And to cure your semantics, the fans were booing the coaches not the players, so the team as a whole wasn't booed, only the coaches.

• Options
    CrushmoreCrushmore Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

I hope he didn't use our TE utilization as criteria to make his decision!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish Arik all the best, but I have no illusion that he'll choose the Dawgs, and that is disappointing. We bring in top talent from across the country, and still miss on the local guys.

• Options
    BiggDawgBiggDawg Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

Is it just me or does he look a little demonic in that picture?

Also, I'm tired AF hearing all of our whiny fans trash our offense. Are we clicking on all cylinders yet? No. But, UGA clearly wanted to keep the ball safe in the mud and prevent turnovers because we were the better team. Coach Smart knew if we continued pounding the ball and did not give up any turnovers, we would win the 2nd half..... exactly how it went down. Gambling for "style" points in the rain is not worth the risk. Let the underdog take risks through the air; we didn't need to.

AND, since when does passing create championship teams? The way I always understood was if you can't run the ball, you can't win. There are of course some prolific offensive gurus out there who can rely on passing to win (Mike Shanahan and Lincoln Riley come to mind), but those are few and far between. How would everyone have felt if we came out passing with a wet ball, and had several 3 and outs gassing our top defensive players? Everyone would have been clamoring about our OLine and RBs and wondering why we aren't playing UGA football. Grass is always greener with our fanbase I guess.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

I didn’t make it to the game. I’m serving in the Middle East. So I have to watch on my laptop in the middle of the night. Doesn’t quite have the same atmosphere as Sanford stadium. But it’s better than nothing.

• Options
    tvradioguytvradioguy Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

I just can't imagine him coming to UGA. Why would he? TEs are an after thought on this team. He would be basically another lineman blocking down field. UGA is where TE's dreams come to die.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Gilbert is a Hybrid WR. The size of a TE but plays like a WR. You'll see one that plays for Florida with the name of Pitts.

• Options
    DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you all want "separation" for your WR position, then you want the fastest, most explosive guy, and that is Arian Smith. If you take Gilbert, who doesn't want to block, just wants to run routes, then he will give you what Pickens does.

Arian Smith's comparable in CF right now is Jerry Jeudy.. but faster.

No room in the recruiting class for both because of Robinson, Wren, and Rosemy.