Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As more elite prospects continue to leave Georgia, Kirby Smart still wants 'best players in the stat

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageAs more elite prospects continue to leave Georgia, Kirby Smart still wants 'best players in the state to stay home'

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. A deeper look at Georgia football in-state recruiting Georgia and Kirby Smart began recruiting Arik Gilbert

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJimmy Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

Unfortunately we will lose to Florida and Auburn because we have no imagination on offense. I can sit on the sofa and predict the next play call. Run, run, low percentage pass to the sideline. The other team knows they just have a few things to defend. What’s wrong with being a dynamic offense. It’s what Bama and Clemson have done and look at who is winning the NC’s. I guess Kirby knows better. I don’t get it.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Winning cures everything.

kids want to be on big stage game winning teams. You win these games and recruiting becomes much easier.

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saying that Georgia hasn't gotten the top player in the State of Georgia is a bit disingenuous. After all, Nolan Smith is really from Savannah, even though he attended IMG Academy in Florida -- and he was the #1 player overall last year in some ranking systems.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DIdn't want to be another tackle. WHo can blame him.

• Options

UGA is too big a program to go with a 2nd rate inexperienced OC. Doesn't make any sense other than CKS wanted to keep Chaney's scheme and wanted to keep running the ball up the middle. Imagine what we could be like with a sure enough offensive guru, like say a Lincoln Riley. All those blue chippers staying home?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d rather get Darnell and/or Theo so I’m not losing sleep over Arik. Besides, he has never acted like he wanted to stay home and play for UGa. I don’t think the 247 Crystal Ball ever had him leaning toward UGa....usually it was Bama. We likely would not have a chance for the other previously mentioned blue chip TEs if Arik had picked UGa. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

THe games with Fla, Auburn, and Texas AM will tell the tell for CKS. He's not going anywhere anytime soon but he has gone all in on with the run- first pass if you have to philosophy. He has the Dawgs to make it work or at least there should be no excuses if it fails. ONe of if not the best offensive lines in the country we keep hearing. A Heisman caliber back. What could go wrong, right? BY most of the writers on this site's opinion a very good if not great defense. Again what could go wrong, right?

But the elephant in the room is somehow we ended up with 2 fifth year transfers as starters at receivers who weren't even on the radar screen this time last year and one talented freshman who is just too green to be a major player in big games(so far). How can this be? THe answer has to be in the type offense we run didn't attract enough excellent receivers to stockpile a few and we got severly depleted when the one remaining good holdover got booted off the team. What have we shown potential receiver recruits this year? NADA!

Lets say we lose to FLA and then to Auburn(very real possibilites) and then what if Texas AM comes in and uses the same "blueprint" and they pull off the win. THen CKS will have some serious explaining to do. And if you think things are negative now about his offense. You aint heard nothing yet. and if you think the boos have been loud, better buckle up.

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

He knows, we all know, the world knows, if Ark came to UGA, he would block and catch 6 passes a year. I'm sure his eyes and his high school coach told him that. The hype of our offense shortcomings have been overblown by all, ......BUT, other than a stud running back, skill positions in our offense will be a hard sell.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a trend that really ought to concern, Kirby and his staff. I remember thinking this very point in his first recruiting season when he lost Derrick Brown to Auburn. I just could never understand how a top-flight defensive-minded coach like Kirby Smart could lose a kid like Brown to Auburn. Then it continued with Aubrey Solomon going to Michigan. Then last year, Owen Pappoe goes to Auburn where he becomes a Game 1 starter. So it's not just the offensive skill positions that we're losing in-state recruits, although it is telling that at a time when we might truly have wide-open competition at the QB position, that top QB recruits are willing to go to Clemson and fight it out with 3-4 other 4- and 5-stars (including Trevor Lawrence who must return for another year) rather than come to Georgia where you have a legitimate chance to start Day 1.

It seems we have the most problem recruiting kids within two-hours drive of Sanford Stadium. We're great getting the kids from south Georgia or maybe even down around central Georgia. But as soon as we get up around Atlanta and points north, it seems these kids trend away from us. Our recruiting Mojo goes bye-bye. Why that is, I don't know, but I wish Kirby would fix it. Outside of Justin Fields (where is he now), it seems like we just can't get the really high-ranked Georgia kids to want to come play for the Dawgs. And that's a shame because the reality is (and this is proveable fact) outside of possibly Florida, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M, UGA has the best academic programs in the SEC. And of those schools, we probably have the best football team. Go Dawgs!

• Options

Anyone believe Justin Fields won't win a Heisman next year? Should finish top 4 this year. What does that say about CKS's ability or the OC to evaluate talent? He was the top 1 or 2 Qb' s coming out of highschool. Did he get to UGA and his talent fall off a cliff? Yet CKS said,"He never saw that much" in practices. Really? So Jake's more of a Rah Rah guy. So what? Truth is Justin was never given a real opportunity to showcase anything. Late 4th quarter run the clock out scenarios. Or get inserted for a few plays in the 2nd quarter. Not saying CKS should of handed him the job over Jake, but this certainly looks like another one that got away.