Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Even after agreement, a divide still remains on whether Georgia-Florida should remain in Jacksonvill

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageEven after agreement, a divide still remains on whether Georgia-Florida should remain in Jacksonville

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football opinion still split on playing Florida in Jacksonville On Friday, the city of Jacksonville,

Read the full story here

Comments

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

According to McGarity, it's not just about football, it's about funding other sports. If it's just about the money, every three years or so put the game up for bid between Atlanta and Jacksonville. Let the free enterprise system work. UGA owes the city of Jacksonville absolutely nothing. The city has been making a killing off this game since 1933.

• LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Distance from Athens to Jacksonville: 360 miles.

Distance from Gainesville to Jacksonville: 72 miles.

Nah, no advantage for UF, right? I've been to 9 WLOCP games in Jax, and UGA is 1-8 in those games. No way I'm ever paying to go back.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read Smart's final quote, and although I'm sure he doesn't mean it that way, he himself makes the case for keeping the game in Jax.

“So for me it’s special because of where it’s located, where the game is played and usually what the outcome determines.”

It's special because of where it's located (Jacksonville) and where it's played (Jacksonville) and what the outcome means (doesn't matter what city).

So even Kirby acknowledges the uniqueness of playing the game in Jacksonville. I was born and raised in Gainesville, Florida. My best friend still lives there and is a Gator season ticket holder. I attended, married my wife and graduated from the University of Georgia. My oldest daughter still lives in Athens. So if the series went home-and-home, that would actually be BETTER for me, logistically speaking, than keeping it in Jacksonville. But so what? The trip to Jacksonville is a highlight for UGA students and, I believe, most fans. A slog every other year to Gainesville, not so much. And I don't care how often Kirby says it, I just don't believe that one neutral site game a year is costing us ANY recruits that we truly want. The only thing about that game that matters is winning it.. Go Dawgs!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I say keep it in Jacksonville, but only if the SEC does the right thing and allows the home team to entertain recruits like they would if it was played in Athens, and Gainesville.

Georgia always seems to get the short end, or should I say sharp end of the stick from the SEC. Greg McGarity should use keeping it in Jacksonville as leverage. Give Georgia the same recruiting opportunity, or we're taking it to home and away. This should have already been done before the two year extension...

The neutral site game is good for not only Georgia and Florida, but also for the SEC as a whole. McGarity has the leverage. Now he needs to use it, and get this done!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We let Statesboro host it. Have it at Allen E Paulson stadium every year. Might have to bring in some extra seats of course.

• natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

No worries if you don't go back. There are plenty of people that will gladly take your seat. It's the 23rd in a row for me and I'll continue to go until it's moved. Greatest game played every year!

It's a day trip for Florida, it's a vacation for us. I feel like we actually have the better deal.

Also, based on your record, I'm personally glad you've taken it off your schedule. 😂

• LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well, like Spurrier said about UF: "We wouldn't play the game in Atlanta in a stadium called the Bulldog Bowl." No reason for UGA to keep playing in Florida every year in what to us older fans is still the Gator Bowl. If you want a vacation, go take a vacation. I live at the beach (Charleston SC), so St. Simons and Ponte Vedra have no appeal to me. What is appealing to me is beating UF every year, and I feel that we have a better chance to do that playing home and home instead of playing 70 miles from UF's campus every year. No worries, like I said, you won't see me in the Gator Bowl anymore.

• SoCalDawgSoCalDawg Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

How about we alternate the neutral field: Jacksonville and Atlanta? After all, a neutral field is a neutral field, right?