Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NCAA votes unanimously for student-athletes to profit from name, image and likeness use

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageNCAA votes unanimously for student-athletes to profit from name, image and likeness use

The NCAA Board of Governors voted unanimously on Tuesday to allow for student-athletes to be paid for the use of their name, image and likeness

Read the full story here

Comments

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Now just call up EA and tell them to start making the games again, lol.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's about time, but the devil will be in the details. These players in ALL college sports deserve some kind of compensation. And yes, football and basketball recruiting specifically will probably be affected some way or somehow. From a football perspective, I do think Georgia is in a good position to benefit (or at least not be hurt) from a recruiting standpoint - as long as we keep winning.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A separate court system is going to have to be established just to deal with Title IX law suits. Establishing equality between players of 124 D-1 football programs will be nothing compared to the demands made to equally compensate the athletes of non-revenue sports, especially the female athletes. Pandora's box has been thrown open for all to see!

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great, now bring back NCAA football game and pay these kids....

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure all the changes over the last 10-15 years is good for the game. The rich programs just continue to get richer. Paying players is no different. Those programs with high TV exposure will profit more thus leading the elite recruits to select schools. The playing field between FBS schools continues to become more lopsided and the NCAA is just sitting on the sidelines watching it happen - even expediting its momentum.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pandora's Box has now been opened. I absolutely cannot stand the NCAA now. This is devastating to college sports. Wow, the lack of wisdom in this world is ASTOUNDING. I literally cannot believe it!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I love free speech; HOWEVER, some people should just not speak. Wow, apparently only the more intelligent among us can see the forest through the trees.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, that’s all folks. The beginning of the end of college sports that the majority of us grew up with. It doesn’t matter what model they come up with, college athletes will now be paid athletes. Don’t say anything if you get booed now.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

this is gonna be very interesting. I don't see how the NCAA can stop every Car wash, and Rib Shack from creating an atmosphere where this school is the school because its players get paid a lot more. I think this change will kill smaller programs with less heeled boosters.

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I can see the players pushing for more time with fans at G-Day, as they can be paid for their autographs. Can Todd Gurley get his four games back? How 'bout AJ Green? Go Dawgs!

• rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

My question, if athletes receive 'significant' compensation playing football, it will be a business activity. Today's athletes receive far more than a basic scholarship. Scores of mentors, counseling, the finest physical training on earth for their chosen profession. All the above and more are valuable services and should be considered additional compensation. Will the IRS see this as unreported income? Such services have been held to be taxable compensation in other professions. If forced to pay athletes, will colleges and universities deduct such services from athletes pay?

Thus the Pandora's box opens wide and change will come. I predict many programs across college football will end. The average player will receive little and other sports will receive less support. The rich get richer. The elite athletes will continue to demand more- "show me the money" will destroy the game we all love.

Oh yes, why does MLB get away paying minor league players almost nothing holding out a chance, a slim chance for most, for an invitation to the "bigs".