Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers after massive victory over Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 10,510 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football winners and losers after massive victory over Florida

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football winners and losers following massive victory over Florida Winner: The offensive line The

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2019

Dawgs do not have an explosive offense, like LSU or Ohio State. What they do have is an elite dominating offense that pounds defenses into submission, so late in the game, the opposing D has almost nothing left. Couple that with a stifling Junkyard Dawg defense and a kicking game that is second to none; you have a recipe for a champion. Dawgs should have no problems getting to Atlanta and can stand toe to toe with Bama or LSU. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    tvradioguytvradioguy Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

This article is absolutely ridiculous in it's premise. To somehow suppose that those who were critical of Fromm's last two games are losers because he played well against Florida is a false statement. I was critical of Fromm because he deserved it. In the South Carolina game he did not play like I knew he could. I expected better. With 4 turnovers against an unranked team, Fromm and team were not playing up to expectations. That is why Georgia was favored by 3 TDs against S.C. Everyone expected them to be better than they showed. The same against Kentucky. Yes, we won by 3 TDs, but Fromm threw for only 35 yards. Even in a monsoon that was subpar. So why are we considered losers today since Fromm played up to his potential? Are you saying Connor, that we wanted Fromm to play poorly against Florida? No, we are winners, because Fromm did his job and played like we expectedhim to. This self righteous attitude from Smart about how we should have not been critical against Fromm these past few weeks is nuts. We are a passionate fan base that expects more from our team. Kirby says that pressure comes with the expectations and that they embrace the pressure. Good. As long as the dawgs play up to their potential, they can do anything. It's when they don't, we are all losers.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jake Fromm did a good job but with the amount of time in pocket, shouldn’t he? This game is not career nor season defining to me. Just a great win

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

we need Jake back next year..... Gators started 16 seniors......Where are Dan's recruits ? They will regress next year. If Jake returns, #4 next year is almost a lock.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Saturday has to bother Florida fans for a number of reasons, but losing to the Bulldogs once again really has sting for Mullen. Ya hate to see it."

No, I don't hate to see it. I don't hate that at all. You might even say I really love it. In fact, I very much love seeing Mullen lose to the bulldogs again.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like Kirby himself said," we have a lot to work on." It was a great win in terms of what it means going forward. It was a great win in terms of how well the team played in all phases, except red zone offense. We had chances to put the game to bed early and we didn't. With settling for field goals we let them hang around, and we were biting our nails at the end. Won't get away with that against BAMA or LSU, but I'm going to worry about that later. Go DAWGS!

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

'the Georgia offense thrived after taking heavy amounts of criticism coming into the game. And for those critics, Saturday had to be a tough game to watch.'

Conner

Why would this be a 'tough' game to watch?? I think every Georgia fan wants to see Georgia succeed. Come 'on man... Be honest. While I'm glad Georgia won, I'm also being realistic... This was ONE game, and from what I've seen out of the other SEVEN games, the offense has struggled against power-5 programs. Let's wait until the season wraps up before we go too far saying that the offense is back.

• Options
    MadDawggMadDawgg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Well said tvradioguy.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one likes criticism. But sometimes it's valid. Maybe it's just me but it's hard not to look critically at the way we played against USC and Kentucky, and to some extent even in other games we won it wasn't necessarily in convincing fashion(games weren't decided until 4th quarter). The reason its valid to critique the offense is we have a probable 1st round QB next spring playing QB. We have a probable 1st round RB by all measures one of the best 2 or 3 running backs in the nation, and by all accounts one of, if not the best, offensive lines in the nation and yet scoring at times, and even moving the ball at times has been enough to make anyone scratch their heads and say, "What gives?" Because you say, "what's going" on doesn't make you not a fan or that you don't love your team. I guarantee you CKS is meeting with Coley to try to figure out why with the above mentioned personnel we didn't do better in the red zone. In other words, "What happened?" And how to we get better. Fans do too.

• Options
    mnbdawgmnbdawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

The fans are losers? Connor Riley, maybe when you grow up you will know the difference when the fans are criticizing coaching decisions and not the players. Most of Fromm's problems were the product of James Coley play calling not Fromm's play. Against Florida we were 12 of 18 on third down, against SC not so much. When Coley continues to put the offence in third and long we will continue to have problems against good teams. The rest of the teams on our schedule will look at the SC game and play us the same way. The question is will our coaching staff make any adjustments to help our offence over come that.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have nothing to add to these excellent comments....except......Missouri stares GA in the face in just 6 days. Not a great team but had a couple of good games and did beat SC. GA should be able to handle them on both sides of the ball. If Fromm is ON...game over. Swift will also rack up some heavy yardage. Coley sees now that a passing game must be a major part of a winning recipe!!!

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

The thought of Jake leaving after this year is very scary. Who in the world would be leading the team? They essentially have nothing behind him. Little talent and no experience. Can’t bet on Beck being an instant success. I don’t even want to think about it right now, it’s too terrifying.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The criticism was deserved, knowledgeable fans know when they see something that's not working. We know when we see questionable clock management, questionable decisions on play selection. We question these things because we bleed red and black on Saturdays, love college football, get frustrated when we see our offensive coaches send these great backs into the middle of a meat grinder time after time after time with no adjustments. We're not "Haters" Mr. Riley, just passionate fans. I have questioned your articles privately without comment for a while now but your comments here are pure "ignorance", IMO.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way to go Conner! You are correct on all points! Let the whiners try to justify their whining by saying "We were not criticizing the players, but..." The same "fans" that were lambasting Fromm for the SC loss totally ignored that two of the interceptions were totally the fault of the receivers, one a ball that was where it was supposed to be but the receiver ran the wrong route, and one hit the receiver in the hands. The third interception was a 50/50 ball, a ball that the complainers complain about when it's not thrown, that by definition has a 50% chance of being picked. The only TO in that game Fromm was totally responsible for was the fumble.

Then, after four TOs with three interceptions cost us the game against SC, the whiners complain about Jake and an unimaginative game plan and not throwing the ball enough in a monsoon with tropical storm winds. Not exactly the thoughts of gridiron Einsteins.

Good job Conner! The complainers are happy that you gave them more reason to complain about you writing about their complaining.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There's a difference between whiners and educated fans that have the ability to absorb and interpret what is going on and put their thoughts into words. Granted there are some that are going to complain about almost anything. Then there are those that see all things through those "rose colored glasses" that paint a false narrative. Debated with those for years over Mark Richt.

Jake had a tough day against Carolina, he wasn't helped at all by his receivers, his offensive line, or the overall offensive game plan. He did however make several mistakes, bad throws that could have been game changers. Hot Rod wasn't his usual perfect self but in the opinion of most he should have been given the opportunity to win the game in regulation with the long field goal attempt, really not that risky, lightening rarely strikes twice in the same place. Play calling in OT was also terrible. Despite the less than stellar play from the receivers, the QB, the OL, the turnovers, we still had the opportunity to win the game. I stand completely by my questioning of how that game unfolded, but..."somedays you're the bug, somedays you're the windshield". Hopefully that game makes us a better team, it sure seemed to have changed some Saturday.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mobile, it does seem that "educated fans" would be able to comprehend the game plan in the first quarter affects the game plan in the fourth quarter. What the press and "educated fans" call slow starts, is the Dawgs establishing their dominance at the LOS. We ran between the tackles against UF early and got stuffed. Later, when Grantham pulled the defense in closer to the LOS to continue to stuff the inside running game it opened the outside run game and the middle of the field behind the backers for Cager, Pickens, and Woerner. To me, that's not "rose colored glasses", that's understanding how the Dawgs win games and stay in the championship conversation.