Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Calculated side of Kirby Smart triggered late third down gamble

SystemSystem Posts: 10,569 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageCalculated side of Kirby Smart triggered late third down gamble

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart said there was no decision to make in heat of the moment last Saturday afternoon in Jacksonville. Third-and-7, ball at the Bulldogs’ 35 with the clock stopped at the 2:53 mark with UGA holding a 24-17 lead. Most everyone expected a run up the middle that would run time off the clock

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

This was the most important play of the game......maybe even of Kirby's career.....Georgia could have ran......and they might have even picked up the first or even scored a TD...That said I would have been gravely dissappointed and would have said that Kirby's career was on the wrong path...the play that Kirby called shows the mark of a coach with the potential to be great...although Kirby is not there yet

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am a fan of the Kirby way. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    OldironsidesOldironsides Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

From this point forwRd, Coach Smart needs to Trust Jake Fromm. As much as he trust Rico. Blakenship.....period....Fromm, has earned that trust over the past 2 1/2 years........Coach......His teammates already trust and fight hard for him.....

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Must of not been a walk thru before the Carolina game LOL..... Go Dawgs........ Turn them loose Kirby

• Options
    mnbdawgmnbdawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Mike this is Wednesday, time to be writing about Missouri, the Florida game was last week.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a very interesting little article.

It's obviously not just about that one play or that one game, but about the degree to which Kirby, his coaches, and the team plan in advance. It actually leaves me with several questions and some confusion, but I'm not going to try to sort it our here and now.

Great little article though. Thanks.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, Missouri could become an interesting contest. They will be coming to PLAY FOOTBALL! Nothing to really lose at this point. UGA will have to fight for every point...but I believe UGA will emerge victorious. Repeat: every game should be a Florida game!!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

MIKE, I hate to be a stickler on this but..." a play designed for tight ed Eli Wolf..." Firstly, not sure what a tight ed is. Secondly, there is no way in world this play was designed for Eli Wolf! Please don't insult our intelligence. Do YOU really believe Kirby Smart is going to run a play (potentially one of the biggest plays of the biggest game of the season) designed around just the TE with the hopes that he is able to get open???!! You are correct in saying this is a designed play, but it is misleading to say it is designed just for Eli Wolf; rather, it is a designed play for the receivers and TE on short yardage. If Eli Wolf were injured for this play would KS have run something different-NO.

Also, PLEASE PROOFREAD, this is what you do for a living!

Thank you for the article.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If that is true, he should have trusted him enough to try a 60 yarder against SC. Couldn’t have been any worse than a poorly executed Hail Mary. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawg50Dawg50 Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

Kirby is still learning to be a great coach. He is very good. Give him time and he will be great. Or he will be pushed out. I believe he will be a national champion coach. He has learned from the best. Just has to get the job expierence under his belt. Has to have coachs stay in the system who is willing to put in the time before leaving to go to another job. The call made on 3rd down in the Florida game is what a great coach is made out of . Yes he will make mistakes and he will learn from them and also get better. We all have to learn. Did he learn from the S.C. game. I bet he did. He knows what he has to do to win out the rest of the year and i bet the players do also. You have to come to play ever week and you can't take anything for granted. This is Kirby's job to have them ready. I for one believe he will the rest of the season. Go Dawgs, sic hem

w

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ugh. Let's be honest here....running the ball up the middle on 3rd and 7 with almost 3 minutes would have been a terrible decision. Kirby simply made the right call instead of the obviously wrong, gutless call. The idea that some might find this debatable leaves me shaking my head.

In almost all likelihood, the "debate" is whether you would sacrifice a good opportunity to win the game outright in exchange for 30/40 seconds of running clock (with still over 2 minutes remaining for UF, best case scenario). Two minutes in college football is an eternity. There's really no choice....or, rather, there is a smart choice and there is the other choice.

The most probable downside of going for first down is that clock stops with incompletion and Georgia punts ball on 4th down. Gators STILL have to drive down field and score. The upside, of course, is that you win.

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Actually, Kirby said he knew what defense Florida was going to be in, because he has so much in common with Grantham. So the play was designed for that. And while there are always multiple progressions, the TE was the key read based on how Florida was lined up and the fact that they blitzed the safety. And finally, you are crazy if you don't think our staff is very deliberate about what personnel they want in, particularly given the situation.

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

First, Mike is reporting on what something Kirby said at his latest press conference.

Second, Mike has been writing about Missouri for 3 days.

Third, Georgia fans like to revel in victories against Florida a little longer than victories against most other opponents. I was there, and I know for myself, I hate Florida so much I can't really enjoy it at the time. I have to savor it extra after the fact.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is the kind of play calling that wins championships and has been missing in the past. Trust Jake and that massive O-line. Not going to work 100% of the time but should approach 80%.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2019

I'm really glad we won and I'm glad Kirby Smart is our head coach.

That said, I wish Smart had "calculated" that we could have gone into victory formation and taken a knee on our last play instead of taking a needless risk and handing off to Swift.