Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football schedules home-and-home series with Ohio State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football schedules home-and-home series with Ohio State

Georgia football continues to beef up its future schedule, adding a home-and-home series with Ohio State for 2030 and 2031 seasons

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SavannahDawgSavannahDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Ironic that only two weeks ago, people were on here griping about the weak upcoming schedule. McGarity knows something we don't know...probably that the will of his fellow AD's and college presidents is to expand the CFP after the current deal expires in 2024. The schedule that Georgia is taking on at the end of the decade is like nothing ever seen by college football. The SEC + Oklahoma and Ohio State in the same year 2031. The SEC + Clemson and Oklahoma in 2030. Texas, Florida State in the same year. Kudos to McGarity for putting UGA at the forefront of the paradigm of strong Non-Conference games. This is absolutely amazing stuff.

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just following Mullet's lead in scheduling big time opponents.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Now how long before they cancel this series...

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have to start working out a little harder, got to be around a few more years to witness these games, and of course all that life has to offer!

• Options

This just in...Gators schedule home and home with Ball State and UAB.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

SavannahDawg, agreed. The committee has established that if you play a tough schedule and have a close loss or two against a top ten opponent then this is stronger resume than group of five teams you may blow out and be undefeated. Love the match ups, and what they will do for our program.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with MobileDawg, hopefully will be around in next decade.....this old Dawg is up in years but not in enthusiasm. UGA putting some meat on the bones of non-conference schedule. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

anything on the books more than six years ok should be written in pencil. Too many variables to count on a 2030 game right now. How in the world did we end up with a trash 2021 schedule, it looks like a BAMA schedule.

• Options

Sorry, but completely disagree. This isn't Damon Evans' athletic department anymore, and I'd be very surprised if we dropped these series like we found a way to do with Oregon and Ohio State in the past. This is all about the CFP. I am sure you realize that in the last year we've scheduled just about every blue blood out there...Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. This mutually beneficial for all these programs, and will separate us and a few others from the pretenders. Florida, you're on the clock...

Btw, the last two I want to see on the UGA bucket list are USC and Michigan.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MobileDawg...?. I’m with you. I intend to be around to see those as well. Just don’t want to have to be propped up to do it with a bib on while I’m eating my Buffalo Wings and drinking a Bud Lite. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

That is awesome, what a quality matchup.

Now if we can only get Stankey and McGarrity to make sure Ohio State is coming off of BYE WEEKS while our Dawgs are not the week before both of those games... 

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm ambivalent at best about this. If winning national championships is your goal, the strategy should be to schedule as many cupcakes as possible.

2017 was a perfect example. If UGA played Austin Peay instead of Notre Dame, the 12-1 SEC Champion Bulldogs would have still made the playoffs.

But if Rodrigo misses that field goal in South Bend, the Bulldogs almost certainly watch the playoffs on TV.

Is the idea of playing in the Horseshoe exciting? Sure, I guess. But if we lose a close game and finish #5 in the final playoff poll again, I don't think the trip will be worth it.

Maybe it will help with recruiting. Maybe there will be an 8-team playoff by then in which all conference champions get automatic bids.

If not, enjoy the limelight. But you'd better win.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

How many of us will be alive then?

• Options

I think that strategy has worked until now. Clemson is proving its possible to win Nattys without having to play a tough schedule until the playoff. As the CFP matures, I think the conventional wisdom is that schedule will trump eye test. An 11-1 Georgia with an early loss to an Ohio State or Oklahoma will hopefully get the benefit of the doubt over an undefeated team from a weaker conference or one with an unchallenging schedule. Put it this way...If this is the wrong path to take, we’re doing it as boldly as possible and will be REALLY wrong, because there aren’t many teams in college football history that could run the table on the schedules we’re putting together. This is all calculated to impress.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is simply too far away...the kids who will be playing in that game are 6 and 7 years old...also no way to predict if they will be playing a national title or will it be like Nebraska and FSU

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

I used to think, I've got 10 years to save my money to make this trip. Now I just hope 10 years from now I'm physically able to make the trip. And instead of taking a child, I might be taking a grandchild.