Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart explains James Cook's lack of touches and more we learned about Georgia football this we

SystemSystem Posts: 10,706 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageKirby Smart explains James Cook's lack of touches and more we learned about Georgia football this week

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Kirby Smart explains James Cook's lack of touches and more we learned about Georgia football this week

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

So does Mizzou have the top pass defense in the SEC, or does Georgia? This article claims that both do. Also, Andrew Thomas is a Junior, not a Senior. Who is writing this stuff?

• Options
    CEPHCEPH Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

I guess Cooks seat on the bench just got more comfortable. The more Kirby talks about him the less he plays. What ever happened to him being in the slot? Thats what Kirby was talking about initially and that way he isn't competing for playing time in the backfield. As is said Travon might as well get himself a nice comfortable seat beside Cook because when Kirby starts talking about finding you a spot you're goose is cooked!!!

• Options
    CEPHCEPH Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

The problem is how can you evaluate a guy if he never gets to play? The times he has been in the game he has done some really good stuff. Oh well, Kirby believes in open competition, right!!!!!!! I wonder if that could come into question.

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lowcountry, was thinking the same thing. How can they both have the best pass defense. Connor has come a long way in becoming a solid reporter for Dawgnation by tamping down the National Enquirer type dramatization he came in with, but he may want to continue to work on his phonology, morphology and syntax final edit skills if Dawgnation doesn’t hire a proof reader any time soon. (:

PS...Andrew Thomas isn’t just a junior, Andrew Thomas is a BEAST, go dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have to admit that my respect for Herrien has increased this year. I've always considered him a DGD, but I think he's really stepped up and shown his value this year.

To me, though, I'm more of a "change it up" type of guy and someone who will experiment with other things when your main choice isn't working. Maybe that's foolish, but I'd personally find a way to have Cook out there as an option and if Swift is getting double-teamed, then use Cook to break things up a bit.

We've all seen how even the best players like Chubb and Michel can hit walls when the D is there to shut them down. You have to show that you'll use that defensive attention on Swift to allow others to win with less coverage.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need to be real careful with Missouri and not look ahead. A fact that no one has mentioned is that Missouri will win the East if they win out. They don’t have a chance to win the N.C., but they have as much at stake as we do tomorrow as it relates to SEC play. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Kirby will match-up players with defense shown by Mizzou. That may well give Cook some off-bench time. Cook can run as well as receive...a double threat. Just be sure when Coley puts him in he isn't an auto go.....as Mizzou will catch on fast. Use Cook as sub bait and run Swift or Derrien. The innverse as well. Cager will again need to shine as he did with Florida.....Mizzou's line is big and physical. He needs to find Fromm's eyes down field. But, again, Mizzou is aware of Cager's prowess. Kirby will have to make some major adjustments in DL and OL in this game I believe. This could be a tighter game than I originally thought. Nonetheless: GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love the Crowder story. We need more like him - willing to do what it takes to find a spot where he can contribute significantly. Cook'n Crowder chowder this year. Tasty treats for DAWGS! Cook'n whomever steps up next year - rest assured, someone will. I know you players read these articles. Will that someone be you? Why not? Go get that bone, 'cause no one is going to give it to you. In other words, GATA!!!!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BarnDawgBarnDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Cook will get his chance. Next year.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Herrien wouldn't see the field for 1/2 the teams in the SEC ….. A few decent runs a season don't make a good RB. Plays hard been a DGD never getting in trouble etc etc etc but to act like he is some kind of talent is just a joke.

With the production at WR this season I would have thought Cook would get some looks on 3rd down in the slot or as the RB splitting out wide in the backfield

As for Zeus another year with limited action will only be good for him in the long run. Most all past players coming off knee injury and Drs claim it the second year after recovery where things start going better

The whole offensive lack of game planning and system has the whole running game way off track

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Right now Herrien is the second best back on this team and that’s saying something. Guess you didn’t see that amazing catch he made against FU last week.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2019

Connor left out a word. Dawgs lead the SEC in pass defense efficiency, not pass defense, which is a YPG stat. I think efficiency is a Yards Per Attempt stat. Mizzou’s corners are a strength, which likely means the lesser teams they’ve played have fewer attempts and why they’ve run more against them. Which you’ll probably also see on Saturday. Dawgs should have 550+ yards of offense. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ADBADB Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Free Agents. Is CKS a trend setter? Those guys were ringers in my neighborhood.