Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Watching the Big Game Online...What is the best Route to take?

RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This coming weekend I have planned on having a little backyard shindig. Ill have some grilling, some corn hole and of course UGA v UF on.

I'll be setting up a projector inside a Giant easy-up so we can have a huge screen and still see it at 3:30pm when the suns still sorta out.

Here's the deal: The game is on CBS. I live in Athens, so as most of you who live here know, I'm pretty much obligated to use Charter Spectrum for my TV service. AND, of course, CBS won't let you watch anything LIVE if you have charter....go figure.

Has anyone else had to overcome this dilemma? CBS will let those with a HULU account watch live stuff , and then they have their own packages they offer as well.

Should I purchase the Main CBS package from CBS?
Should I purchase the CBS College Sports Package from CBS?
Do I need both to watch the game? Or can I just buy one and get both? Does the main CBS package come with the National CBS Sports channel?

Or Should I purchase a Hulu account and use that to access CBS on Saturday?

PS. What a friggin pain in my &&% !!

Thanks for any help with this,
-RemDawg

Comments

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2017

@RedDawg
    I cut the cord a couple of years ago. Honestly, sports were the only thing tying me to cable packages. I still have my internet through Charter, and that is the key to my ability to still watch almost all sporting events.

First, I always cast my games using a Google Chromecast. They only cost about $30. I just check and a Chromecast can be plugged into a projector and work. So if you don't have one, go buy a Chromecast and set it up.

Next, you can either download the CBS Sports app or go find the game you want online. When prompted login with internet/cable provider username/password. You should then be able to watch the game live on your phone/tablet/computer.

Press the cast button and cast the game to your Chromecast.

Voilà.

The game should be cast to the projector. If you buy a Chromecast 2 then once the game is cast to the Chromecast, it is working independently and you are free to use your phone/tablet/computer to watch other games.

Don't buy Hulu. Download WatchESPN, FoxSportsGO, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports Apps. They are all free, and I've been using them with great success for the past couple of Football seasons.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ForestryDawg Thank You!! My problem is with the CBS Sports App they wont let me sign in with my internet/cable provider...they don't accept Charter which is what I'm forced to use in my neighborhood here in Athens. So I have to purchase something (hulu, or a CBS package) and I don't know which one to purchase to be able to access the LIVE Stream of the game. :( It is beyond frustrating.

Side note: my backyard shindig is still praying for the rain to move to sunday...I could help with some anti-rain dances if any of yall know the proper ritual LOL

@tiger_62082 said:
    Reddit

Are the games for sure going to be accessible "LIVE" on reddit? I'd hate to get all set up and at 3pm I am running around stressing out lol

I havent ever used reddit so I wouldn't know how to navigate it very well

@RedDawg said:
    @ForestryDawg Thank You!! My problem is with the CBS Sports App they wont let me sign in with my internet/cable provider...they don't accept Charter which is what I'm forced to use in my neighborhood here in Athens. So I have to purchase something (hulu, or a CBS package) and I don't know which one to purchase to be able to access the LIVE Stream of the game. :( It is beyond frustrating.

That's weird. I am a Charter user too and I have watched multiple CBS games this year without issue. One thing that you may want to check is if you are signing into Charter Spectrum or Time Warner Spectrum. Charter acquired Time Warner this year and that has thrown me for a loop more than once. Otherwise, I don't know why you would have an issue.

Another troubleshooting suggestion, when you find the game on the CBS Sports app, are you clicking the red "live" or watch live" button? The CBS app is not as straightforward as it should be and I know that to get the game stream to come up I have to press that button.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Might look into a Digital (HD) Antenna. CBS, or local subsidiary, should broadcast the game. Can put it anywhere.

First suggestion would've been run coax cable to your backyard allowing you to use your cable box, but you mentioned something about CBS not being live that way. Coax is cheap these days.

If you go the way of Chromecast or CBS Sports App, make sure your wireless signal is strong enough in your back yard to support. Otherwise you'll end up with choppy buffering the whole time.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    Might look into a Digital (HD) Antenna. CBS, or local subsidiary, should broadcast the game. Can put it anywhere.

First suggestion would've been run coax cable to your backyard allowing you to use your cable box, but you mentioned something about CBS not being live that way. Coax is cheap these days.

If you go the way of Chromecast or CBS Sports App, make sure your wireless signal is strong enough in your back yard to support. Otherwise you'll end up with choppy buffering the whole time.

Looks better on a HD antenna than the cable/dish providers due to less compression. I've had DISH, DirecTV and Comcast (currently) in the last 10 years. Antenna looks better.

@mattmd2 said:

These don't really work in Athens. All of the stations are coming from Atlanta and the signal strength hasn't ever been strong enough for me.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:

Second this option. A 50ft spool of coax is $12.99 on Amazon prime. This is for a one time setup, right? Just move your set top box out by the projector and use a power ****.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Hulu offers a free 7 day trial period. You could always sign up for the service, watch the game, and cancel before the 7 days are up...

edited October 2017

Thank You Team!!! I think I have enough options to figure something out here.

@ForestryDawg said:

That's weird. I am a Charter user too and I have watched multiple CBS games this year without issue. One thing that you may want to check is if you are signing into Charter Spectrum or Time Warner Spectrum. Charter acquired Time Warner this year and that has thrown me for a loop more than once. Otherwise, I don't know why you would have an issue.

Another troubleshooting suggestion, when you find the game on the CBS Sports app, are you clicking the red "live" or watch live" button? The CBS app is not as straightforward as it should be and I know that to get the game stream to come up I have to press that button.

Yea I couldnt get it to cooperate to save my life. I work in IT and I'm not the most ignorant tech person...LOL. But it did not have spectrum as and option when I was testing it out last night. And I couldnt figure out what package to purchase that would actually give me the game on saturday, I dont need to watch any sitcoms, I just need the dam game lmao

Anyways, I have a huge 100ft long ethernet cable, and Im considering Reddit as the back up plan, and I might try the Hulu free trial to get the game and then cancel it after the game haha I'll figure something out.

Just a pain in the butt. You would think this would be easier. And how in the world is charter not part of CBS? I swear it made no sense. I was in awe last night haha. I'll be finishing up this test run tonight and setup tonight to make sure everything is ready on saturday.

Thanks Everyone!

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean...maybe I'm missing something...but the CBS Sports app has never asked me for a login. I subscribe to PSVue, and I get a CBS station, but I've never had to log in. Last I knew CBS let you watch college games for free through the app. It was the pro games that they didn't.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just make sure you test it early in the morning, well before the game starts, so that you aren’t running around figuring it out around game time.