Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Dawgs’ sputtering offense isn’t doing great UGA defense any favors

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageThe Dawgs’ sputtering offense isn’t doing great UGA defense any favors

Kirby Smart knows Georgia has to ‘get better’ to achieve its season goals.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coley seems to be under the impression that routes over the middle of the field are illegal.

Hey, I’ve got an idea! Let’s run another wide receiver screen that loses two yards!

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

To win a NC , a team has to have a good offense and a good defense

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bill, you nailed it! I vote that you get paid to be an adviser to James Coley and CKS. I watched this game and saw the Auburn offense slice us up on basically just slant routes and thought why the heck do we not do the same thing. I am so frustrated by this offense that I am sick to my stomach. A defense like we have does not happen too often. I fear the play calling and lack of separation from the receivers will combine to essentially end our season after playing LSU.

I literally cannot believe our offense looks like this at this point in the season. Coley, Hankton and Smart need to WAKE-UP.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And another thing. Stop running it straight up the middle on 80% of first downs. Scheming for UGA's offense has to take a matter of a couple hours. UGH!

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Too many times in championship games, we see the same pattern. Against 'good' or worse teams such tactics can work. CKS did not do this in the Oklahoma game but has tried the same old game plan against Alabama twice and failed. This sort of stuff does not work on us nor does it work on great teams. Seem to remember a few years ago, a certain Kirby mentor and former boss abandoned this approach after he lost the first time to Clemson.

While I am sure our defense lost a step, I sincerely believe or defense began to come apart when Georgia abandoned a defensive scheme that had worked for 3 quarters. Soft pressure up front and zone prevent defense as allowed more great teams to come back from the dead and win games than anything else. It is a credit to our young men of defense could, when allowed and, I'm sure exhausted, return to a junk yard defense and finally stop Auburn in the 4th quarter. But it was a close thing.

• Options
    KennesawJayKennesawJay Posts: 37 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bill, great article. Although, I think I deserve some credit for writing it too since it appears you read my mind. Offensive scheming is terrible and uncreative. If we as fans can see it, why can't these highly paid coaches see it? Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

Absolutely Bill. I can FEEL the frustration in your words. I share those same frustrations.

The pass receivers have got to do more crossing routes and quick slants to try and get open. We've got to throw more to our TEs (and they have to not drop the ball...). Auburn burned us with slants all day yesterday even though our defensive backs were all over the receivers. We've got to do the same things.

Texas A&M is probably playing their best ball of the season now and should be a hand full if Mond is on target. He is also somewhat of a running threat when pressured (and a pretty decent runner). Mond threw for 221 yards and ran for 47 yards yesterday when they destroyed South Carolina (that same team we lost to although hasn't been playing well at all since they beat us). Against Miss State, Mond threw for 234 yards and ran for 76 yards. We'll have to contain the guy.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    tricoachtricoach Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Nice job, Bill. I agree with what you've said nearly 100%. I didn't watch the game feeling the offense was struggling in the first 3 quarters, I just thought AU defense was good. Granted, maybe some of the quick slants and different scheme ideas could have helped. My question for you would be is this a OC issue or a Kirby offensive philosophy issue? Since CKS arrival, fans have been criticizing offensive output. This season reminds me a lot of 1st season with JC. Like then, it wasn't until fans started revolting against the up the middle scheme that was being run that the toss sweep was reinvented (which has magically appeared this season in the last 3 games). The deja vu of this season makes me think this is what Kirby wants. Heck, in his press conference after FL game, you'd think having an explosive offense would be a bad thing.

Also, as you pointed out, the shut it down with 10 minutes in the 4th approach has got to come to an end. Yet, CKS has a way of putting things back on the players. It's as if he really believes the zone defense and vanilla play calling was the player's fault. This season, more so than any, has reminded me of our coaches inexperience and stubborness. Not suggesting we get rid of the guy but at what point does he recognize he needs to adapt? When he does, this team will win a Natty.

• Options
    MaconDawgMaconDawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Preaching to the choir brother. Was grateful for victory by the 4th qtr breakdown was horrible. Kirby, if by some chance you are getting any of this feedback, we need to move to a more creative and yes, "explosive" offense. The current scheme just is not going to work as our defense cannot stay on the field all the time and save us. Change before the tsunami rolls over us, regardless of our talent level.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone seems to be on the same page, here, Bill. Sure wish the coaches would join us. And I agree with what another poster said about CKS seemingly blaming the beleaguered defensive players for not holding up in the fourth quarter. My goodness, the offense has NINE 3 and outs and he blames the defense for not holding up for four quarters, even though they shut them out for the first three when if we had had any decent offense, we could have put the game out of reach. Come on Kirby, quit being so stubborn. What difference does it make how we win, as long as we win???

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Bobo gets fired at CSU give him his old job back as OC. I could handle 35+ points a game again!

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2019

If Fromm truly has the authority to check into better plays why does he not check to slants, crossing/dig routes? With people stacking the box and attacking the run it leaves a soft spot in the D behind the backers.

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Heh, I was thining about that last year. Was hoping he'd get fired last season so we could pick him up. Let him give those feet a rest and sit up in the press box. I always liked him as OC anyway.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've heard "we've got to get better" pretty much all season long but it hasn't happened. I hope for the best but fear the worst, not sure it's going to get better. Frustration is starting to overflow from a lot of us over the incompetence to get the most out of the immense talent we have. I keep hoping a light will come on but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dan Lanning didn't call the prevent - that was Smart all the way. Plays not to lose.

The offence...meh. Can't believe it's gonna change now.