Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: A case for Kirby Smart to get Coach of the Year consideration

SystemSystem Posts: 7,418 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH: A case for Kirby Smart to get Coach of the Year consideration

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart has led his program through a challenging season, overcoming several hurdles en route to winning the SEC East Division and staying in contention for a CFP spot

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You are right, there are very compelling evidence that he should be voted coach of the year: Undefeated against ND, snapping Auburn's win streak at home against top rated teams, grooming two new coordinators while making a CFP run, best winning resume in CF as of this date, 3 consecutive SEC East Titles, his wins on the recruiting trail. UGA is blessed to have CKS. These are some of the golden years in UGA football. Take it all in Dawg fans.

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

A quirky schedule further stacked the deck with five opponents in six weeks coming off bye weeks when they faced the Bulldogs, providing them more rest and preparation for Kirby Smart and his staff...thanks for joining my drum line Mike! Absolutely should be considered Coach of the Year if, no WHEN he gets past aTm and tech and accomplishes what even the GOAT coach Nick Saban was unable to accomplish with his 2010 Quirky Schedule...go dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart would likely be named coach of year if he wins through including CFPCG. That would be a feat He has overcome some serious odds after stunning loss against South Carolina. That loss left UGA vulnerable and they showed some serious heart to come back as strongly as they did, injuries and all....pretty remarkable GO DAWGS!

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Won’t happen. Probably coach O or guy at Ohio st

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Our head coach was, indeed, a Smart hire! Go DAWGS!!!

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby is a jam up defensive coach and recruiter . He could use a little more polish on the offensive side.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Give Coach O his due...his OC as well. His QB is as cool as they come and deserves to be the Heisman front runner. But, the difference between this year and last is the development of Marshall and Chase from their freshman year to their sophmore year at WR. Without that development, LSU would be a much different team.

That is exactly what we have to look forward to next year. Experience matters! Pickens is practically a carbon copy of Marshall physically. There's not a dimes worth of difference between Chase and Blaylock.

Everybody that's played sports knows the biggest leaps in improvement takes place between seasons rather than in season. Jake is going to return next year and the whiners are going to be amazed at how much Coley has learned in six months with a senior QB and the experience AND talent of Pickens and Dom!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ShoottheHooch - If you haven't seen it, watch the video "Summer of 10000 Catches". It shows some of what LSU did to improve their receiver corps.

Burrow really has been something this year, and he knows it...that kind of arrogance does turn me off, however.

I had thought LSU's receivers were seniors, but your perspective on ours really does make me excited what next year holds.

I, too, think Fromm will be back (the improved receivers will make him look like Burrow this year...just think if Burrow had declared last year, how much $ would he have missed?).

I guess we'll see, but the main thing is to take care of A&M...I was really worried about this game before the season as I had expected A&M to really be a contender. They're not to be taken lightly! I'll admit that I didn't take SCAR seriously.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the tip on the video. I will check it out this evening.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article Mike. I sincerely believe UGA’s offense is better than most fans realize, but has had a terrible time for 3 reasons:

First, we all know the insane situation with losing so many wide receivers and 2 TEs...also injuries with the remaining players.

Second, your point is well taken regarding 5 of our last 6 opponents had 2 weeks to prepare for our offense and rest. The only team we faced over the past 6 games that didn’t have an extra week was Kentucky and we played them in a monsoon which screwed our offense.

Finally, we have played #9 “top 50” defenses. Four of those teams are “Top 20” (Florida, Auburn, Missouri, Notre Dame) and 6 are in the top 23 (add Kentucky and Texas A&M). To put this in perspective, Bama has only faced #4 “top 50” teams ranked 23rd (Texas A&M), 38th(Tennessee), 44th (LSU) and 48th (South Carolina).

My bet is we would be averaging 7-10 point more offensively if we faced the same defenses as Bama.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2019

Well, a little off topic, but it seems the self-proclaimed 2017 National Champion UCF won't be getting a ticket-tape parade this season. Alas, a 7-3 record will not quality for the CFP. So no more roaring from the UCF fans, right?

Have a good time at the Liberty Bowl...