Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart both now command top 5 coaching salaries

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageJimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart both now command top 5 coaching salaries

How much are the head coaches from Saturday's game getting paid for the 2019 season? You probably won't believe it. Check out where Kirby Smart and Jimbo Fisher now rank among the highest-paid coaches in college football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What has HairBall won to place 3rd in the country in coaches salary? He has never won a Big Ten Conference Championship. he has never got his team to a National Title game, and he can't beat The Ohio State.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

College football, though touted as just a game, has mushroomed into big business franchising. Translated: BIG MONEY! It has become a complex "algorithm." There have been articles describing this ballooning phenomenon. Football coaching dynasties in the early days brought big money into the universities with favored programs....Alabama, Noter Dame, and such. To catch up, the coaching carousel began with more funding apportioned for football and other sports at universities cashing in on this emerging trend. UGA was no exception. Recruiting became a program's gold. Full-ride scholarships, redshirting. freshmen..plus other colored shirts. Now football status is measured in prestigious bowl games and rankings, and a by-invite-only...CFP tilts for the best of the best elite program producers. You commenters know better than I all that transpired. Today, we see the result of this intense focus on college sports keeping alumni actively giving and interested for years after graduation. TV deals with major networks. The internet fame. Bigger salaries, bigger stadiums, workout rooms befitting NFL players. Indoor training facilities, multi-level staff....on and on. Anyway...$14+ million between Smart and Fisher is reality of the times. Football is not the only burgeoning sport.....track and field, swimming, gymnastics, basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis, volleyball, bowling, even fencing, plus a host of others....all vying for the donor dollar to attract the best young talent in each discipline while enhancing overall student enrollment. Hopefully, academic scholarship has kept pace. It has at UGA!

CAVEAT: This was not a primer on college sports just a brief and cursory glimpse through the dimming optics of an old alum.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

Well, as of this posting, I'd say that Georgia is getting a really good deal right now, would you say so?

Look at the list. Clemson and Bama obviously have gotten god-knows-how-much donations based on their success from these coaches and so proportionally, I'd say they are underpaid.

• Michigan: $7.5M for #10, #12, #14 and 2 unranked seasons.
    • Texas A&M: $7.5M for #16 and #23
    • Georgia: $6.8M for #2, #4, #7 and 1 unranked season
    • Auburn: $6.8M for #2, #10, #15, #22, #24 and 1 unranked season
    • Texas: $6.75M for #9 and 2 unranked seasons
    • Perdue: $6.6M for 3 unranked seasons, all with 6+ losses

I mean, would you rather pay Smart $6.8M or be paying Butch Jones $4M+ per year and then have to pay him $6.8M Severence for this barely-above-500 performance???

Or maybe you wish we were like Northwestern and paid Pat Fitzgerald $5.1M per year for 14 seasons as the coach with only 3 of those seasons with 3 or less losses, 4 years ranked, 4-5 in Bowl Games and ONE West division win. Did I mention they are 2-8 this year???

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Smart is well compensated, yes. That is the name of this game of college football. You produce to match the numbers. Smart, so far, is producing as UGA's (fairly) new head coach. He must maintain recruiting strength. Lots of the very good players never see their senior year...tough on the team but good for the players. Who needs a degree earning multiple millions in the NFL. College is like a prep school for the NFL.

• vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

No where in the article does it actually state what either Kirby or Jimbo are actually making this year. Are we supposed to assume that Jimbo has his salary divided equally over thos ten years and Kirby's is figured out by subtracting 7.5 million from your $14,371,600 figure. I would guess that Jimbo's contract is structured in such a way that his salary increases annually.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All this article did was make me realize just how poor I am! Good, God!

GO DAWGS!

BEAT TEXAS A&M!

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ UGA66 Great comments and my sentiments exactly. I'll go a step further... in college football, you buy national titles!! And only a handful of schools have finances to compete. All one needs to do is look at the programs that have won titles in the last decade. All of them spend HUGE on their programs and the arms race continues. Personally, I'm not a fan of this escalation nor do I think its good for college football long term but these are today's rules - and as the old expression says - "go big or go home."

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you @vann . My thoughts exactly. I guess we're supposed to do our own math for this story. Oh well. I have years of major editing experience and I would provide it to DawgNation on a freelance basis in exchange for say, two (2) tickets to every UGA home game.