Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Stuffing Day / Great American Smokeout

donmedonme Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

NATIONAL STUFFING DAY

There are, apparently, two kinds of people. Stuffers and Dressers. Which are you?

November 21st is an ideal day for National Stuffing Day with Thanksgiving right around the corner. Since we are already thinking about the delicious turkey stuffing that is a traditional part of Thanksgiving dinner.

Some cooks choose to stuff the bird with crusts of bread, vegetables, herbs, and spices. Others prefer to prepare a similar dish alongside the turkey using the drippings to moisten the dish. Either way, each preparation is personal preference or family tradition. The difference is the first is called a stuffing, but the latter is referred to as a dressing. 

The usual turkey stuffing consists of bread cubes or crumbs combined with onions, celery, salt, and pepper. Further spices and herbs such as summer savory, sage or poultry seasoning add flavor and variety. Other recipes include adding sausage, hamburger, tofu, oysters, egg, rice, apple, raisins or other dried fruits.

The first known documented stuffing recipes appeared in the Roman cookbook, Apicius “De Re Coquinaria.” Most of the stuffing recipes in this cookbook included vegetables, herbs and spices, nuts and spelt (an old cereal). Some recipes also included chopped liver and other organ meat. 

In addition to stuffing the body cavity of poultry and fish, various cuts of meat are often stuffed once deboned and having a pouch or slit cut in them. A few examples of other meats frequently stuffed include pork chops, meatloaf, meatballs, chicken breast, lamb chops, and beef tenderloin.

Stuffing isn’t limited to the butcher block. Vegetables are excellent containers for stuffing. Peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, and cabbage are just a few of the shapely veggies that make stuffing a fabulous part of your meal. 

GREAT AMERICAN SMOKEOUT

Although I am not a fan of social engineering, this event makes sense to me. It encourages Americans to stop tobacco smoking. The Great American Smokeout challenges smokers to quit cigarettes for 24 hours with the hopes that this decision will continue forever.

There are benefits to 1 day without cigarettes. After just 20 minutes without a cigarette, the heart rate drops. So does the blood pressure. Twelve hours later, the body will cleanse the carbon monoxide from the last cigarette from the body.

That’s a great start. If you make it past 1 day, your risk of heart attack begins to decrease along with heart disease and ****. After just 1 day – keep it up.

After 2 days, things start tasting and smelling better. That’s because your nerves are healing from the smoke damage.

Day 3 may be tough. The nicotine is leaving your body and symptoms of withdrawal may occur. But you can do it.

By 1 month, you may notice you can breathe better. The coughing is less. Your lungs may be clearer.

Do you want to find out more? Visit the American Cancer Society to learn more.

Comments

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GREAT AMERICAN SMOKEOUT

Although I am not a fan of social engineering, this event makes sense to me. It encourages Americans to stop tobacco smoking. The Great American Smokeout challenges smokers to quit cigarettes for 24 hours with the hopes that this decision will continue forever.

There are benefits to 1 day without cigarettes. After just 20 minutes without a cigarette, the heart rate drops. So does the blood pressure. Twelve hours later, the body will cleanse the carbon monoxide from the last cigarette from the body.

That’s a great start. If you make it past 1 day, your risk of heart attack begins to decrease along with heart disease and ****. After just 1 day – keep it up.

After 2 days, things start tasting and smelling better. That’s because your nerves are healing from the smoke damage.

Day 3 may be tough. The nicotine is leaving your body and symptoms of withdrawal may occur. But you can do it.

By 1 month, you may notice you can breathe better. The coughing is less. Your lungs may be clearer.

Do you want to find out more? Visit the American Cancer Society to learn more.

Quit smoking 4 years ago next month. I miss it every day, but am even more thankful daily that I stopped!

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Should not shortchange stuffed vegetables. (Describing a stuffing with ground meat, usually beef.) Stuffed peppers or stuffed tomatoes - can be seasoned the same way - are wonderful, especially this time of the year. Also, stuffed cabbage (cabbage leaves wrap around the stuffing), is also wonderful. Stuffed cabbage is big with the Slavs, but I do not know its origin as a cuisine. Both bell peppers and tomatoes are New World plants. I do not know the origin or locus of the stuffed cuisine.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg I'm all for stuffing vegetables, but when it comes to Thanksgiving, I am a cornbread dressing man. 100%.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oyster, meself, but cornbread is second. Plus turkey is the main course for T-day, certainly. Having stuffed peppers on T-day would only be acceptable as an alternative to turkey, say, at a large event, where someone had an allegry to turkey (?) or are an enemy of 'Murica and have a duty to feed them by the Geneva Convention, monitored for compliance with the Mandela Rules, and the host is all out of bread and water.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL. And hit me with an oyster dressing recipe if you have one. That's not something my family has ever done, but I love oysters in all forms.