Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

OPINION: Critics can chirp, but this Georgia football team is still special

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageOPINION: Critics can chirp, but this Georgia football team is still special

The outside noise is not going to go away. But there are plenty of reasons why this 2019 Georgia football team is special. That's worth a post with "Senior Day" looming this week against Texas A&M.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good work Jeff. These guys are hard-working and resilient. J.R. Reed's ability to simply be available for 40 games in a league as physical as the SEC is impressive. Go Dawgs!

• tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Win Saturday, then a scrimage against GT to warm up for LSU.

All the talking heads go right over UGA not even mentioning UGA as if in their opiniion LSU has already won, anybody else notice that.

LSU is very beatable as they do not have a good defense and I don not believe our defnese will give up anywhere near 40 points. Just for giggles UGA 32, LSU 17.

UGA can win this old school, strong defense, no turnovers, smart play (limited penalties), and running the ball and hit some play action.

I think we win out and then bring on whomever the pundants think will again beat UGA.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great piece JS.... Enjoyed.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good piece, Jeff. Everything you said is true and I appreciate it. Speaking only for me, and as a longtime Dawg fan and supporter, with the possible exception of Kirby Smart, I would trade ALL of those tidbits, accolades AND players for the 2018 National Championship that was in our grasp. Players come and go, some sooner than others. Records are broken every year. Highlight moments are replaced by other highlight moments. But championships last forever and once you win one, you can forever say that you are a National Champion.

But alas, we haven't been able to say that since 1980 and so I cheer for what is. Go Dawgs!

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Jeff! It's wild to me how quickly fans forget where we were before Smart and this crew of kids.

• diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jeff,

So, in your opinion, the only true fans are the ones that show up in the rain for the dawg walk & have no complaints? They are just negative & complain just to complain.

You're painting the picture as a 'glass half full', but then you say regarding 'negativity', "Some of those takes are valid. Kirby Smart even said last week this group has to play better."

So Jeff, which is it? You're complaining about people complaining, but either way you look at it, the glass is only at 50%.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best of luck and "thank you" to all the Dawgs who will walk onto "Dooley" Field at "Sanford" Stadium tomorrow. I will chirp about our offensive inabilities after the game tomorrow if warranted. Hopefully Jake is right about us being "real" close to clicking....

Go Dawgs !

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great article Jeff! God bless these fine young men. So many special stories behind each of them. Regardless of how far we go this season, this team is indeed very special. Thank you for the memories.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great points Jeff and completely agree with you. However, folks who 'complain' and criticize most of the time also praise and congratulate. They should be considered good fans. Kirby demands more, so why shouldn't we? If you don't strive for greatness and in some ways perfection, then you will probably never make it. Kirby and this team have done a good job this season, but I still question some play calling and decisions.

" Are there any more than five teams in the country that can say they have a better present and future outlook than the view at UGA? "

Yes, Jeff, but just remember, there may be just 5 teams equal or better, but they are only (4) playoff spots...close only works in horseshoes and hand grenades...

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Our defense is more special than our offense this year

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The future looks so bright Kirby gotta wear shades!

• PDAWG176PDAWG176 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Great article! I didn’t take it as a jab on the fans that voice there concerns as he said it was okay do so in his last few lines of the article. However as fans ( me included ) focus a lot of attention and comments on the things we see need improvements on and often don’t take in account all the areas we have become better at. Our defense is probably the best we’ve had since the “ Junkyard Dawgs “ I love coach Richt as a person and a coach but Kirby has accomplished more in 4 years than Richt did in 15 years. Kirby’s accomplishments in only year 4 puts him in the category with small number other elite coaches. Do we have a ways to go in some areas, YES but look how far we’ve come in 4 years and think Kirby and staff will keep us moving in a upward trajectory. Go Dawgs

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like the tone and theme of this article. Primarily give praise for those extraordinary accomplishments of this year's team while recognizing those areas to be improved. Positive thinking throughout. Great Article!!

• AskBillyBAskBillyB Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't give a toot about the committee's *eye test* ...it's late November, and UGA is still in the CFP conversation... again... for the 3rd year in a row! Feels so good for this program to simply be RELEVANT again.

It wasn't so long ago (2016) that Ole Miss beat our Dawgs 45-14... same year as an unwatchable 24-10 performance in Jax, during which Georgia had literally no hope of winning. Lost to 17-16 to Vandy... VANDY!?!? And didn't we lose to (gulp) Ga Tech in 2016, too?!?!

In a very short time, Kirby Smart and his staff has ELEVATED this program to -- dare I say it? -- Dooley heights. With all due respect to the Shreveports of the college football world, I must confess I don't miss the annual trips the Independence, Outback & Liberty bowls.

All of this, with nothing on the horizon to indicate Dawgs returning to mediocrity anytime soon. Thank you, Kirby!!!