Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What better way to celebrate a big win....National Sardine Day

donmedonme Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

**** win or not, could it be pure chance that today recognizes these silver little fishes? I think not. A meaningful win deserves a meaningful celebration and what better way than a tasty treat like sardines.

They may not swim right up to your plate, but they sure do pack in the flavor. 

While some people are afraid to taste these small, silverfish, others consider sardines a delicious snack enjoyed on their own or with crackers.

Sardines are several types of small, oily fish, related to herrings. While we might be most familiar with sardines packed in cans, some enjoy fresh sardines grilled. This small fish can also be pickled and smoked, too. When canned, they can be packed in water, olive, sunflower or soybean oil or tomato, chili or mustard sauce.

The term sardine was first used in English during the beginning of the 15th century, possibly coming from the Mediterranean island of Sardinia where there was an abundance of sardines.

Sardines are a great source of vitamins and minerals.

From one’s daily vitamin allowance containing:

• 13 % B2
  • .25 % niacin
  • 150% vitamin B12
  • phosphorus
  • calcium
  • potassium
  • iron
  • selenium
  • omega-3fatty acids
  • vitamin D
  • protein

– B vitamins are important in helping to support proper nervous system function and are used for energy metabolism.

– Omega 3 fatty acids reduce the occurrence of cardiovascular disease and regular consumption may reduce the likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s disease and can even boost brain function as well as help lower blood sugar levels.

Relative to other fish commonly eaten by humans, sardines are very low in contaminants, such as mercury.

Sardine oil is used in the manufacturing of paint, varnish and linoleum.

The sardine canning industry peaked in the United States in the 1950s. The Stinson Seafood plant in Prospect Harbor, Maine, which was the last large sardine cannery in the United States, closed its doors on April 15, 2010, after 135 years in operation.

So. open up a can or two and dig in. Better yet, share them with some of your Dawg nation pals. Yummm.

Comments

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good info as usual. As for sardines, I actually enjoy a can of sardines on (somewhat rare) occasion. Hot tomato sauce with crackers. Gotta be honest though. For celebrations, I have other preferences. 😎

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

About to head to the store. Might have to pick up a can or two. I enjoy the ones in the Louisiana Hot Sauce on saltines.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I enjoy canned sardines in every form: spring water, olive oil, mustard, hot sauce. Saltines (or any other plain/salty cracker) is certainly the best accompaniment.

I will add that I once had the pleasure of eating a grilled sardine (very large, 4-5x the size of a canned sardine), when I was staying in Leeds, England. I believe they were caught in the Channel. Really memorable meal. Great city too, if you ever have the chance to visit.