Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

It's official: UGA's George Pickens to miss first half of SEC Championship due to ejection

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2019 in Article commenting

imageIt's official: UGA's George Pickens to miss first half of SEC Championship due to ejection

It’s official: UGA freshman George Pickens will have to sit out the first half of next week’s SEC Championship game. Pickens was ejected after throwing several punches into the helmet of a Georgia Tech defender in the second half of UGA’s 52-7 win on Saturday. It’s a big blow to the Bulldogs, as the team will already

Read the full story here

Comments

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It may not have any impact, but for once I want to see UGA file an appeal and be very public that not only was the suspension wrong, the penalty was wrong given the GT player took the first two swings.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree the Tech player was at least equally at fault, but Pickens should have avoided his part of the confrontation. His actions were foolish, selfish, hotheaded, and bad for his team and himself.

Go, Dawgs!

• Dawgs2015Dawgs2015 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

I hate to say, But I dont see pickens staying at uga for his entire college career probably end up being dismissed hope that I am wrong

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree that I thought Swilling threw the first punch but by rule that doesn’t give Pickens free right to throw back. When you are the TEAMS #2 receiver and #1 is lost for the season, you have to swallow that pride and ego and put your team and university first. I know it’s hard not to retaliate and survival instinct tells us if we hit then hit back harder and more often but in this type situation, that is a big blow to the team. Pickens is hanging around close to Kirbys dog house anyway. I wish he would clean it up because this young man has super potential.

BTW, sure hope Swift is ok.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Laughing..."He did is too"...laughing more....I doubt LSU cares

• tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Boneheads hope it is something he can outgrow

edited November 2019

Were this an Alabama receiver, I guarantee the screaming from Sabin and their AD would get the penalty overturned. Regardless of what you think about the call, I want to see the coach and AD go nuclear to protect their players. They did not do it with Gurley. Let’s see them do it today.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens' actions were **** and completely indefensible. I'm ashamed that any person who roots for UGA would even TALK about trying to appeal or make a big deal. He had ALREADY been disciplined in the first half, which should have put him on his BEST behavior. But instead, he kept trying to push the envelope -- as he ALWAYS does. He (and others) call it passion and a desire to win. But it's selfish, **** behavior that is not going to cost us at perhaps the most critical point in the season. I agree with others who say there's a strong chance he doesn't complete his collegiate career at UGA. If he's doing thise kinds of things on the field, you can best believe he's cutting corners off of it and sooner or late, he's going to get caught. It's really a shame because he'll probably wind up transferring to Auburn where he'll become All-SEC and be a first-round draft pick. The talent is there, but the maturity isn't, at least not yet.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens plays with heart, that is undeniabe. Sooner rather than later, he is going to have to start playing with his head. If not for a player hiking up in the end zone, throwing those punches would be the dumbest move of the weekend! At least our dumb move didn't cost us the game...today!

edited November 2019

Amazing that in the Iron Bowl, two players throw punches and get offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties. No worse than what Pickens did. Kirby needs to stand up and demand that Pickens gets to play.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Retaliate, young man, by flopping down which ensures a penalty on the other guy. That's the only way you win the situation.

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2019

Swilling did throw a hard hand to the face of Pickens first, should have been an immediate flag at that point, but it didn't happen. This is what Kirby keeps preaching "composure". He should have flopped on the punch and gotten a 15 yard penalty against Tech. He's young, he will learn, and I'm sure he got some "coaching up" after the play. I like that he has passion, but you also have to play smart.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is no excuse for Pickens behavior. This is not the Georgia way. I am glad he was ejected from the game. He already missed the first half of the GT game for behavior issues. I pray this young man does not waste his God-given talent like so many before him. I also pray for a quickening of maturity and an acceptance of the wisdom he has likely already received from his peers and the coaching staff. Go Pickens, Go Dawgs!

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Once again "He did it too"...when are you people going to learn that it doesn't matter what others do

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Swilling should DEFINITELY be suspended for teks bowl game....in 2027.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Counseling PLEASE!!