Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

George Pickens showed his so importance to Georgia football, and why his absence could be devastatin

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorge Pickens showed his so importance to Georgia football, and why his absence could be devastating

ATLANTA — Without George Pickens in the second quarter for the Georgia footbal offensel, things were pretty bad. The Bulldogs committed a calamity of errors, ranging from a missed kick to a muffed punt. Then when Pickens — who missed the first half due what Kirby Smart called, "a violation of team rules," — entered

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You did it again, didn’t you Connor? What the %#*^ does that headline even mean? Embarrassing!

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Swilling got nothing and started it. ACC crew or SEC ?

• Options
    NewbombTurkNewbombTurk Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I don't know what's worse: the fight or the headline.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder if Pickens future is football or MMA. His actions aren't fitting in to a team mold. I really hope he comes around quickly so he can, and will want to, remain a part of UGA football.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They conveniently never see the 1st action, only the retaliation. My thoughts were that the refs were gt grads trying to help the home school, and still failed miserably..GoDAWGS

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

A teachable moment that should have never happened. I think both players should have been ejected. Let's move on.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

How in God's name does this headline pass by the editor?

• Options
    Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

What the hell does him spending time with some kids at the hospital have to do with it?!?

He was Suspended for the first half, by CKS for violating team rules. I'm pretty sure fighting with the opposing team is a violation of team rules. Clearly he didn't pay attention to this , nor did he Learn from the mistake that landed him in the doghouse to begin with!

Yes, he's very talented and a key piece of the offense. But this has been an issue all season long at various times. It's not gonna get better by coddling the kid. If CKS doesn't put a stop to it, Now, he's gonna think the Rules only apply to others, that he can do whatever, whenever. What kind of message does that send too the rest of the locker room?

I want us to win the SEC CG as much as y'all, but IMHO CKS needs too tell Pickens he's not gonna be in Atlanta next Saturday, period. Maybe that will get it through his thick head that the Team comes First! Not him! Just my three cents... Go Dawgs!!

p.s. BA in the post game, you were way outta bounds makin excuses for the kid and his Piss poor behavior! I love the show, but That dawg don't hunt...

• Options
    Dawg1982Dawg1982 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Why didn't the official standing right in front of Pickens and the tech player jump in to stop the fight before it really got bad? He was standing right in front of them, watching them and did nothing! On the video it looked like he actually moved away from them! That whole incident could have been prevented had he intervened! It took the other two officials forever to break it up. The officiating in the SEC has been atrocious this year. Across the board. The league should hold that official accountable for his total inaction regarding that fight! Boggling and unacceptable on the officials part!!!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Very unfortunate situation for the team, the coaches, the university and the fans. George lost his cool and let his ego outweigh his teammates. On the street, h e l l yes it’s Mano a Mano when someone hits you but not on the football field. GT had nothing to lose at that point and baited George. We all have to be held accountable for our actions and regardless of who started or who threw first, it’s not the refs fault because he didn’t jump in and break it up. It does not matter what they did to Swilling or not because they are done. It only matters what George done because the stakes are a lot higher to all the people personally invested in this team and season. You’re not going to win an appeal because George threw punches, sure they make go back and suspend Swilling but what the heck does that have to do with next week and the effort all the players and coaches have invested to this point. I’m not mad at George because Lord knows I’ve made my share of mistakes and a mistake is all that this is, albeit a costly one. I just hope George matures from this one, commits to team first perspective so not to let his retaliatory actions impose negative circumstances against his teammates and goes out and redeem himself the second half of next week and the future.

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thought I was the only one concerned about the headline.

Talk about negativity...I know I can be negative but Connor's article is nothing more than click bate.

I know everyone wants to compare our situation with Swift to Auburns' running back in 2017 but we have very capable backs to pickup the load.

If we can't score with the weapons on our offense, then shame on Kirby and the OC.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why give Conner a hard time? It is going to be devastating with Pickens out for the first half! Pickens is the only reason for LSU not to put nine in the box and totally sell out to stuff the run. Swift has already shown his frustration having to run against loaded boxes all year. There is something very troubling about this offensive team that's tough to put a finger on. One thing is for sure, Kirby's platitudes and Jake parroting Kirby is not fixing what's wrong!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

For the life of me, I cannot follow the logic in this piece. Yes, missing Pickens will hurt. But how exactly would his presence in the first half of the tech game have prevented the missed field goal, the muffed punt, Swift's fumble or the fumbled kickoff? The article only references the second quarter, picking up after the offense scored 17 points in the first quarter without him.

As for the suspension itself, I think it's a bit much. Yes, he participated in the fight. But it wasn't until after he'd been struck twice, and it became clear that the officials weren't interested in breaking it up, that he swung back. Sorry to invoke a cliche, but the punishment should fit the crime. With the benefit of watching from the stands, on TV or in hindsight, we can say he shouldn't have reacted like he did. But I think it was a perfectly understandable error in judgment, and a carry-over suspension is excessive. Had he been the instigator, I would be perfectly fine with him having to sit out the first half of the next game. But he wasn't, and I would argue that the ejection alone would have been an appropriate consequence.

Lastly, people will say it's always the second guy who gets caught. That doesn't apply here, and doesn't explain why Pickens was dealt with more harshly than the tech player. I counted 6 swings from Swillings (or whoever), thrown both before and well after Pickens' two.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like we have the latest version of Odell Beckham. Sure Pickens is really, really good but the Dawgs aren't going to be defined by their passing offense in this game. This should be a "line of scrimmage" game, which gives us a chance to move on. This will be our seventh consecutive play off game and the boys will show up big time!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monty Rice said it best: "Ain’t no way around it. Ain’t no woulda’, coulda’ shoulda’. All you have to do is not throw a punch or slap or whatever it was. You just have to be smart.” The players know what Pickens did was beyond the pale. Let's stop making excuses (it doesn't matter whether Swilling threw the first punch; the referees are under no obligation to stand between out-of-control players swinging punches; the rules are absolute -- if you get ejected in the second half of a game for any reason, you're automatically suspended for the first half of the following game). Pickens, who not only threw punches but also tried to ram Swilling's head into a wall was wrong. Period. Paragraph.

And now the entire team must pay for his error. And it's not a frigging headline has anything to do with it. At this point in the season, it is devastating. We are already without Cager. Even if we don't throw the ball to Pickens, just having to account for him on the field would provide a big help to the UGA offense.

And I agree with those who say coddling him doesn't help him. I, too, wish Fromm wouldn't must parrot Kirby Smart. This ain't about tough love and all of that. We need to say it was **** and wrong and somone needs to say it will not be tolerated. If he transfers, he transfers. But people on this forum and elsewhere are always talking about the lack of class at Auburn. Well, making excuses for this kind of behavior is how you wind up just like that. And sooner or later, it becomes who you are. Georgia is NOT that. I hope PIckens learns from this and goes on to not only be a great player for us, but a model citizen as well. If he cannot, best to bid him adieu before we're dealing with something a lot worse than half-game suspension. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I've had about a day and a half to think about this...my first reaction..."Well it was just a fight"........But I still can't get over that he tried to slam the guy into the wall...Some might even argue that is worse than swinging a helmet at someone....I think there is a possibility that Pickens has played his last game at the University of Georgia