Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Does Georgia football have to beat LSU for 2019 to be a successful season?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageDoes Georgia football have to beat LSU for 2019 to be a successful season?

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Does Georgia football have to beat LSU for 2019 to be a successful season? Fair or not, Georgia came into the

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Georgia loses the SEC championship, considering how graduation - the NFL draft and injuries have decimated the receiving corps, I will still feel like they accomplished plenty.

It usually takes a few lucky breaks for any team to win a championship. Look at LSU, and you see they're coming into the SECCG almost injury free. Meanwhile Georgia is dealing with all kind of injured and missing players. If Georgia wins it will be a great accomplishment, especially considering what they are missing...

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It will have been a very successful season regardless of the LSU game, but not if we lose both to LSU and in the bowl game.

Last year's season was marred rather badly by the Sugar Bowl which was lost because we failed to prepare and show up.

Speaking of those media darling teams (media darlings even here), if we beat LSU, Clemson, and THE, and it's possible we beat all three, how will their season have looked compared to ours? I could care less about how we look. Everything depends on winning. Those teams look great, yes, but nobody looks great losing.

Go, Dawgs!

• msj917msj917 Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

the comparison to Mark Richt needs to stop I respect CMR Kirby has done something no coach in the SEC East has done since Steve

Spurrier. 3 consecutive SEC East Championships!!! WE have to face the 2nd ranked team in the nation which also happens to place second in the nation in offensive production. I want my Dawgs to win as much as anybody but to face the adversity they have this year which includes most of all the constant negativity by fans and media of this team and to have gotten to this place in the season is a successful season. Did we lay an egg against S Carolina yes but our team bounced back they didn't let that adversity determine their season. I believe in this team I have a confident hope they will beat LSU and move forward to the CFP! Go Dawgs

• LarryDawgLarryDawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

Lord, I can't imagine the uproar if Kirby and the boys get beat Saturday. Too many fans will go ballistic and call for KS to be fired. We have some really bad fans out there. Winning the East, beating UF, Auburn, ND, Tech, all your rivals. We are 11-1. Even 11-2 is still pretty **** good.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Any team in the country, and I mean ANY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY, that had half of their opponents given extra days to rest and prepare for their game against you with five of six having a full week, would have at least one loss. It just happened that SC was able to take advantage of their opportunity. Without that loss, UGA would be in the same position this week; playing for their playoff lives.

In just four years and the first one was a wash, Kirby has had us in the playoff conversation in December every year. Lose to LSU and this season is a tremendous success because our young and experienced players alike will be one year wiser. Experience matters! Just ask LSU!

So, to answer Conner's question, not just no, but HELL NO! (but the Dawgs are going to win anyway so the question will be asked again about winning in the semis, then again about winning the natty which in every case the answer will be the same!)

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We can still have a pretty successful season even if we end up losing to LSU. However, all this talk is premature and certainly shouldn't even be an article for discussion at this point in the season. We've still got a bowl game guarantee. BUT, if we lose to LSU AND lose our bowl game like last year then I will say this season was a BUST and a HUGE disappointment. If that somehow happens that will tell me a lot about the team and how good our coaches really are. We blew it last year against Texas.

Let's focus on the biggest game of the season right now and go from there.

SIC 'EM DAWGS!!!

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

The answer to that is a strong "Yes".....If Georgia does not, at least, win the SEC this season will be a failure. IT's time to start thinking like a champion.....not trying to just be good enough....we heard too much of that during the Richt era.......BTW...isn't it Kirby himself that keeps saying "Pressure is a privilege"

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

'Lord, I can't imagine the uproar if Kirby and the boys get beat Saturday. Too many fans will go ballistic and call for KS to be fired"

If UGA pulls off the upset then KS should get coach of the year. No one I know, have heard in the media, or have talked to really believes UGA will win this game. Does that mean I wont pull for them like I do every week hanging on every play- of course I will. I want UGA to win. They have a chance if everything goes well, if the offense can sustain drives and score more than field goals and keep their offense off the field. Would I bet my house on it? Would any of you? Seriously?

• HerschelsDailySoupHerschelsDailySoup Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think everyone likely answers this question in their own way, but for me the season has been a success win or lose in the SECCG. I’ll be very disappointed if we lose, but I’ve been through enough 9-4 seasons to appreciate the 11 Ws we’ve already got. The thing that makes college ball great is the rivalries, and we beat florida, tennessee, auburn, and tech this year, giving us another 365 days to relish being better than them this fall. If we lose it will hurt – bad – but don’t take adding to our win streaks over those rivals for granted.

• SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

The season is already successful.....not winning the SEC will definitely be disappointing, but that will not make the season any less successful. With the talent on our roster the expectation should always be to win the conference and National titles. Let things play out and see where things fall. Would love to see the best game out of the DAWGS Saturday and wreak Havoc on the CFP!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts".......Simply, if UGA works as a synchronized unit rather than each separately doing his own thing.....the outcome is secure. Spread the parts of a watch out on the table and it won't run.....put the pieces together inside the casing and you have all the watch parts functioning together as a whole telling perfect time. This is the UGA that needs to be presented to LSU Saturday! Execute as a team! We have the parts...talented players...coaches...mesh them together as a whole functioning unit and LSU is in for a BIG SURPRISE! GO DAWGS!!!

• NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

Two ways to look at this season....

losing to the chickens was a failure and the SECCG would’ve likely been a moot result as both LSU and UGA likely would have both made it in to the CFP as both would be undefeated going into the SECCG

other way to look at this season, would be what they’ve done since the loss. How many “experts” had an L for UGA against UF and the Barn? Kirby is putting together wins despite a depleted inexperienced WR corp, banged up line and inconsistent QB play. So the fact we’re in a position to play into the CFP with a Saturday is an ultimate success.

But, I also think we need to also understand as a program that to climb to the mountain top and get the Natty, it will require another level of commitment and performance. Excuses regarding injuries, early departures, inexperience, coaching will not be enough

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Maybe the most disappointing aspect of the season though is that it seemed clear Georgia wasn’t quite on the same level of Ohio State, Clemson and LSU. Yes, all three of those teams went unbeaten in the regular season, but it’s the way those teams looked throughout the year that might give some Georgia fans pause when wondering if the Bulldogs are among the elite teams."

Truer words were never spoken, Connor. This is the real reason for the angst of UGA fans. As good as we are and as well as we've played at times, we look at those other teams and say, "why can't we be like them," with games basically over by halftime, starters chilling on the sidelines, backups and third teamers getting real playing time. Instead, we get 4th-quarter nail biters where front line starters play long enough to get hurt and where we sweat through every down.

And this entire article just underlines why I have not been able to let go of the infamous "2nd and 26" play. We make that play (and the two more that would have followed) and it changes the ENTIRE trajectory of UGA football. Just think: Kirby Smart would have been a national championship coach in just his second season something done by just three other coaches; Jake Fromm would forever be a National Championship QB without any of this "he just can't get us to the next level" foolishness; Rodrigo Blankenship would be an even bigger rock star (if that's even possible); Michel, Chubb, Hardmann, Ridley, Holyfield, Godwin, Nauta, Smith, Baker, etc., would have all left UGA with the championship rings they clearly deserve; and our recruiting -- while strong now -- would have been otherworldly with kids practically begging to come play for us as they do now at Clemson and (just recently) LSU. And most importantly, as the article points out, we could finally throw away that 40-year **** from off our backs of having not won a Natty since 1980. We could basically start the clock all over again. Until we do that, a lot of people see us a good, but not great, college football program. Go Dawgs!

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Considering all of the attrition we had at the receiver corps and the injuries along the offensive line, Kirby and the coaching staff have done an outstanding job winning games this year. At the end of the game, it is not "how" but "how many" that counts. Just look at last week's Iron Bowl, if it weren't for two pick 6's, Auburn would have gotten blown out by AL. For the most part, the Dawgs were always in the lead in the second half of their games and used their defense to close out them out. It wasn't pretty but it was effective. Of course we aren't happy with the offensive production compared to teams we have had the previous couple of years, but with a first year OC and all of the issues I mentioned previously, we probably expected too much from them.

Speaking of expecting too much, going into ANY season with the attitude that its national title or bust is **** and arrogant on the part of a fan base (and the media that hypes that attitude up for that matter). The game of football can be so random and injuries can have such a huge impact on a teams performance that to assume any outcome at the beginning of the season is folly at best (unless you are Clemson and playing in the ACC). We need to appreciate what this team has accomplished and the hard work they have put in rather than go, ho-hum, another 11-1 season. We may lose to LSU on Saturday but that won't take away from the accomplishment of winning the SEC East. We can be proud of the effort, commitment and grit this team has shown all season. They are as united and committed as any fan base could possibly ask for and they represent the G on their helmets to the best of their ability.

We all need to be like Kirby and focus on one game at a time. The Dawgs deserve our support on Saturday and hopefully with a good crowd we can will them to win. If they don't, I am still going to love them anyway. Go Dawgs!

• rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Successful" is too broad a term. Yes, it was a success that we won the East and beat all our major rivals. We came into the season with concerns at receiver and those were validated and have yet to be overcome. That certainly has been a factor with Fromm's performance, but he just hasn't been the same. To win the East has been a very good season.

This was the year that would determine if Kirby's trajectory continued upward or started leveling off like Richt did. Richt didn't win the East in his 4th season; Kirby did. I have confidence that the best is ahead for Georgia under Kirby.

• Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think Conner hit the nail on the head here. But one aspect he seemed to leave out, how the fans will view it.

The hardcore fan will most likely say "unless UGA wins the Natty the season was a letdown".

The casual fan will see that UGA won the East for a third straight year, and conclude the season a success .

Too a degree, both are correct. Certainly the bird is still in the oven so to speak. Saturday will go a long way towards sealing the fate of opinion for most. I'm a hardcore UGA fan. I also tend to view things that are UGA Football through a less biased prism. By that I mean, if we lose Saturday I'm not gonna scream "Fire CKS!" Sadly, some will. On the other hand, if we don't win I'm not gonna be "we had a nice season, it'll be fun watchin the team in the Citrus Bowl" either.

As Conner pointed out, the O-line did not live up too the hype that was piled on to it like so much gravy over the mashed taters on Thanksgiving. Yes, injuries were a major factor. There were people playing positions they don't usually. Those things happen over the course of a season.

Maybe we fans get too caught up in the *'s a guy has coming out of HS and feel that alone assures massive success. It does not.

Coach Pittman is an elite evaluator and recruiter of talent . He's also a **** fine coach of said. The O-line will be fine goin forward.

Conner also mentioned that Jake Fromm had a down year compared too last. He did. He seems at times to be forcing throws. At times it appears he's dealing with poor mechanics or possibly an injury. It could have been the pressure of expectations that weighed a bit too heavy on him. We may never fully know the answer to this. But what isn't in question is the love of and devotion we fans have for the team! I'm confident of a win Saturday. Go Dawgs!!

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2019

"Georgia came into the 2019 season with championship (NC) or bust expectations."

This is not true IMO. Most every UGA affiliated media person made some preseason statement to this effect. I do not recall hearing this from Kirby or the players going into the season. Some fans caught on to this silly mantra, but in my opinion, the majority of fans are not of the opinion that the team has to win the NC to be considered successful... NOT the case. What happens when and if we do Bust? Any fan that feels this way, I say good riddance. Hit the road with Whoppie and Rossie!

Yes, would like to win another, but stay in the hunt year after year is considered a success; will win our share.

Some unreasonable people want to measure success by what Bama has done winning 5 NC's in 9 years. What NS managed to do during this period is truly amazing. 60+ power 5 teams aspire to win championships each year and only one team reaches that goal. That does not suggest that only one team is successful each year.

Be in the hunt every year UGA.

• williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

Now that you're here you need to get the prize. Otherwise, you're a bit short of success.