Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Kirby Smart praises LSU, sheds light on Jake Fromm struggles

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH: Kirby Smart praises LSU, sheds light on Jake Fromm struggles

Georgia coach Kirby Smart had heavy praise for LSU's record-setting offense and provided perspective on his team's challenges in the pass game

Read the full story here

Comments

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hey Kirby

How about saying "if we had a better QB" we could've been more explosive. Yet you throw the receivers under the bus.

I hope the recruits hear this crap and decide to go else where.

This man is a piece of work.

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

LSU ran up 481 yards of offense!!!!! Granted our offense did not do the defense any favors, but we were not close to stopping them. Credit to LSU. I just thought we were better than that. Now the question turns to if we are going to be measurably better next year. I have no idea.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Somebody needs to ask Kirby if Jake's shoulder is 100%.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby trying to cover his ass. Knowing people are second guessing him about Fromm over Fields. Jake has a lot of responsibility for the offensive ineptitude, he missed a lot of open receivers, tonight as well as over the course of the season. The receivers haven't done their job, their routes haven't always been in sync with Fromm and a lot of drops. The OL hasn't been nearly as dominating as they had been billed. A disappointing year by my standards. Never was a Richt guy and was glad to see him go, Kirby has some tough terrain to traverse now. This team was supposedly built to compete for championships, we're not there yet, regressing this year IMO. I believe we need a new direction offensively or our recruiting will suffer.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

I agree with you 100%. I really believe Kirby days are numbered at Georgia because he's too arrogant and players/recruits are beginning to shy away from him. You can't tell him anything and he hardly ever takes responsibility.

• DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm is not injured. Quit asking that. Fromm spends free time hunting and fishing in stead of improving himself. Herbstreit called him out last year about being unathletic, Fromm stayed he was going to work on being quicker, faster, and more elusive in the pocket... Did anyone see that? No, because he hasn't improved, he has regressed. I understand Kirby defending Fromm's draft status, but Kirby better be telling Fromm he needs to leave because the starting job is not his next year

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Okay Coach, how do you explain Fromm missing these "sub par" receivers when they have gotten open ?

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Below 50% completions the last 3 games in a row!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First of all, if Fromm returns next year (which is likely) he will be the starter. If for no other reason than his experience. That's just a fact so we may as well prepare for that. But it is distressing (and I think off-putting to recruits and current players) that he protects Jake's play at all cost. He said "if we had really good wideouts," which is saying, "since we do not have really good wideouts" we can't make explosive plays. Granted, had our receivers been able to get more separation and/or catch some passes that were right in their hands, we would have had more explosive plays. But there were several instances, today and throughout the year, when the receivers were open and Jake just flat missed them. There's blame for both, but if Kirby keeps throwing his receivers under the bus like this, he's going to find out he doesn't have any -- unless he wants to sell that narrative to would-be recruits; "Hey, come to UGA and start right away because the guys we have now playing wide receiver are awful." I think the next DawgNation story is for Jeff Sentell to check with our current commits to see if anyone is considering backing off his pledge after that beat down by LSU. We especially need receivers and quarterbacks, but after what happened with Justin Fields, I honestly think it's going to be a couple of recruiting cycles before we convince a Top 10 QB to come our way.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If LSU had lost their top four receivers to the draft last year and then lost their top four receivers of this year in the first half of the SECCG, would they have dominated? Heck, no! LSU had two very good freshmen WRs last year in Chase and Marshall. This year they have two excellent WRs as sophomores in Chase and Marshall and a third in Jefferson. I pray Blaylock's injury is not an ACL! He is capable of being another Chase being almost a clone physically. Pickens is almost a carbon copy of Marshall. All they need is experience! What was a huge weakness will be a strength next year and will make all the difference in the world in Fromm's accuracy!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please explain how recruiting is being affected! According to the 247 composite UGA has the highest average for quality of recruits in the nation. Of UGA's 15 recruits, 14 are four star are better. The only three star is a kicker which is the equivalent of a five star. UGA would easily be a top four recruiting class at this point if we were loading up on five, six...nine three stars like those that are ranked ahead of us. Some of the most comical comments are from the naysayers wanting to justify their naysaying!

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Coach,

This is really your first big test. Year four, your most talented team and it was a fail. Do more was a fail, You came here to win these games. Humble yourself, go out and find the best offensive minds Georgia money can buy and change our offense. Imagine LSU offense with our defense. That's what we need to win the new SEC not the 2008 SEC coach. You have to do more coach, you were exposed and Jake Fromm is either injured or you have to accept that fact that he is a good QB but not what we just faced. Borrow is throwing kill-bombs he's not looking for a first down. Hats off to LSU as a team and an athletic department and to their head coach. They took their weakness and turned it into a strength that is off the charts. This team is going to win the national championship. Coach, our backup QB has led his new football team that he is starting for , for the first time to the playoffs with an undefeated record with a first year head coach. Know what OSU and LSU have that we dont? A killer behind the center, an elite QB. You chose Jake and you better be going to choose his replacement or him some new coaches ASAP. Hell go hire LSU offensive staff after they win the Championship but you have to do something. You are entering Mark Richt territory - the recruiting. Fix Kirby.

• CarjackCarjack Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Dawg Fans - Stop your whining and bellyaching and start acting like actual fans!! Football is a TEAM sport....you win and lose as a team! We FANs do not help the team by creating a harsh and resentful environment every time we lose because good recruits, who have plenty of options, don’t want to come and be a part of that! Grow up! Understand that competitive sports is about winning and losing and championship programs are not built overnight....or even in four years! When you lose...be a man and accept it....embrace your players because they don’t like to lose anymore than you do and they are still young....then start thinking “positively and creatively” about how you build from where you are and win the next time!

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Recruiting and attrition to the NFL are the primary issues??? Hardly. The talent was there to reload, the preseason hype about the O-line, QB & RB were off the charts. The UGA careers, Combine numbers, and NFL production indicate that the players who left for the draft were anything but irreplaceable. Outside of Mecole who is having a good rookie season, the remainder of Georgia's pass catchers to enter the draft (Riley, Nauta, Godwin & Holyfield) have a total of one catch for five yards. In fact, Riley is the only one to suit up regularly. Godwin & Holyfield have yet to put on pads and Nauta was just recently promoted from the Detroit practice team suiting up the last two games but has not played.

Injuries happen & players are disciplined. None of these factors explains a total offensive collapse. Smart needs to learn one more lesson from Saban and realize the Bama & Georgia conservative offenses of the past do not play in the modern college football world.

• harleydawgharleydawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

He's exactly right, irregardless of whether these four or five receivers that went to the NFL are actually "starting" doesn't diminish the fact that their absence, thereby leaving true freshmen, didn't HURT the team is not a true assessment. It throws the quarter back to receiver "relationship" off...BAD. He's correct, that's his problem, he should have seen that and recruited better towards that end. That's leads to my silver lining..,.he knows what he needs to recruit now. We've got from now to Jan.1st to prepare for what I think, will be Baylor. To blame this entirely on Fromm...not so. He's a very good quarterback, but your're only as good as your O line and receivers. I was hoping for better results, but deep down I felt if it wasn't a close game, they would blow us away. I hope Fromm and company and company can get in some kind of rhythm and we can get healthy. As usual GO DAWGS!

• TfbTfb Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Kirby, you have no class. You don't criticize players on national tv. Save it for staff meetings.