Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The comparisons between Mark Richt and Kirby Smart surface again

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Once again, comparing Richt & Smart is ridiculous & silly. How about comparing Smart to Goff, or Donan, or Dooley for a change?? Richt & Smart coached in different times and the post seasons were completely different scenarios especially during the early 2000s compared to now. In terms of more recent comparisons, it is still apples & oranges. Money wins championships - at the very least, it begins there. Saddle Smart with the SAME assets that Richt had (no IPF, bottom tier in SEC in salaries, facilities among the bottom of the SEC, small support staff) and does anyone really & objectively think Smart could do better?? There would be no Pittman or McGee because the money would not be there. If you think otherwise, then UGA just needlessly spent millions upon millions these past few years for nothing. Richt will go down as one of UGA's best coaches. Let's just hope Kirby surpasses him with a few national titles because the support, and especially the talent is certainly there now.

• Options
    VoyagerDawgVoyagerDawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

In recruiting alone, Coach Smart is ahead of Coach Richt. He has had Georgia in the playoffs or conversations of the playoffs for 3 of the 4 years he's been head coach. I really liked Coach Richt, and still do, but it was time to make a change and I think Coach Smart was the right man for the job. He needs an Erk Russell for his offense like Dooley had for his defense. Could Mike Bobo be the man? I don't know, but I trust Coach Smart to make the right decision. I do appreciate the fact that now an 11-2 record is a reason for so much angst. I think with the coaching changes and losing all 5 of our top receivers from last year, 11-2 is pretty good so far. Keep playing hard and go out and win the Sugar Bowl and start 2020 on the right foot. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

I much prefer Smart to Richt. I think the Dawgs are in better hands. When Richt was at the helm, I never knew what to expect. I expect Smart's Dawgs to be better prepared and they usually are. Smart's recruiting is way better but this brings up a big concern with me. I thought, going into the season both our offense and our defense would be dominant. Our offense puzzles me. With our O-Line and the RBs we have we should be able to plow thru opposing defenses and with a seasoned QB our passing game should have been better. I'm with others who have posted here saying we need to go in a different direction and find a new OC. If we don't, I can't imagine getting the offensive recruits we will need to compete for the SEC East, the SEC, and National Championships. As a fan, I really don't want to see this same sort of offensive performance again next year. On the Jake Fromm subject, he had a subpar year and needs to come back for his senior year. I expect, with a new OC, he could flourish and be more like the Fromm we saw in '17 and '18.

• Options
    Birdie_Num_Num_DawgBirdie_Num_Num_Dawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

"... it seems that Smart would be ahead of Richt by good measure due to the fact that Smart led the Bulldogs to an appearance in the 2017 national championship game".

Kirby had the benefit of the playoffs in his second year.  Richt didn't.  Both coaches were/are good coaches for UGA.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

....and now there is moneyball to play. What will a championship team now cost? I can see Notre Dame wealthy alums spending more than a million to get to the championship game.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thought Richt should have been shown the door after his 5th year.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Exactly. Different times... different circumstances. Would have loved to have had a college playoff during 2008 (I know this was Richt's 7th year). We were one of THE hottest teams out there and we ended up playing lowly Hawaii.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

CMR was never handed the tools CKS has been handed or the amount of cash to pay his staff

I just do not see much a comparison one was an offensive expert the other is a Defensive expert

LSU looked like a CMR offense with a CKS Defense

• Options
    ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

The problem with Richt was not the first four years it was the last ten.

To act like Kirby Smart has not been an upgrade over those last ten Richt years is nonsense. Given this season's circumstances, 2006-2015 Richt would have lost four or five games.

That's not to say Smart is going to do any better in the coming years. As it stands right now, the offensive outlook for next season is kind of ****. However, to make these first four season comparisons is really ****. Especially if you're using them in the context of "Bring back Bobo." Bring him back to return to the glory days of not winning championships of any kind? Because I hate to break it to people, and this is coming from someone who liked Bobo as a play caller, but Georgia didn't win a **** thing with him as the OC. They only broke a bunch of records. How's that going to change anything?

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Any one that compares Richt and Smart is foolish at best. Both ARE great coaches and men. IMO, the case can be made that they are more dissimilar than alike. Their records are similar in their first four years? Who cares! I love winning, I will take CKS eleven times out of ten.

Go Dawgs! Thank you Kirby for elevating our program for likely decades to come. God bless you and yours!

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

'Smart has also recruited at a level never seen before at UGA.'

And has one more win, two more losses.

How can anyone say Kirby is a 'better' coach than Richt, when he has MORE talent & has a WORSE record????????

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

The thinking is, IF they can 'break records' on offense, they can win championships since they now have a better Defense.

Richt focused on skill players, he didn't build the program for a strong D & O-line. Richt did more with less.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Richt had been very successful to this point, but had not played in three straight SEC Championsips, had won one but not played for a national championship. This is a critical juncture for Kirby, but I have confidence in him. He’s special.