Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football: The O-line recruiting picture without Sam Pittman

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football: The O-line recruiting picture without Sam Pittman

What does the picture look like for Georgia football recruiting without Sam Pittman?DawgNation takes a good look at the current O-line class and whether or not it can remain intact with the sudden move from a beloved assistant coach.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

With Elmer Fudd, aka Kirby Smart, as HC it doesn't matter if they come to Georgia or not, this team ain't going anywhere. 2017 was Fudds peak and that was with Richts players. Georgia put their money on the wrong horse

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If players de-commit, that's only further proof they commit to a coach and not a school. If you commited to a school, a coaching change would not affect your decision if you were truly commited..

• Jaylittle23Jaylittle23 Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brandon Adams and Jeff Sentell need a “happy” pill.....I have never heard so much whining by these two after the SEC game.. The blustering, bumbling Adams running down the team after a tough loss and Jeff nodding in agreement......get a grip boys, it ain’t easy winning a Natty and Burrow is a Great QB....acknowledge that and quit running our coaches and system into the ground....Adams wouldn’t know a football if you put one in his crib.

• RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why isn't Matt Luke hired today and visiting these guys ??????????????

• RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

What does a 8-4 2020 season bring to Athens Attitude wise from the masses

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I generally agree with MontanaDawg. It is the OL...the Pittman group...that has been underperforming... BUT ...UGA cannot afford to lose commits like Ratledge and Braun to Arkansas. Cannot! These big bruisers are needed as others leave or decommit. Pittman is a huge loss for Smart who promoted him. Bad timing...but then what is good timing. Pittman could care less,...he is all in for Arkansas now.....UGA can take a hike. These are jobs, yes, but they have personalities that players strongly like or dislike. These commits really like Pittman...who coached for UGA. Finding a new OL mentor is not easy. And Smart does not always make the wisest choices. UGA is getting hit hard this year...how they come through this will determine what kind of team UGA truly is....IMO!

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very true, just because a player is 6'6 330lbs, there's no guarantee they will be a great blocker. Same with WR's, 6'5 210 means nothing when you can't catch a BB in a bushel basket.. Matt Landers, nothing more need be said..GoDAWGS!

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's easy to get gloomy over the Pittman departure, but let's pump the brakes on that. While losing Pittman is a huge loss all around, it doesn't mean doomsday for this class. The elite OL targets/commitments want to play for championships. That's not gonna happen at Arkansas, so I doubt they'll want to go there. Does it open some possibilities for other schools--LSU, Texas, A&M, etc.? Sure, but Georgia will be in the NC picture for the foreseeable future, and I think the depth chart and early departures for the NFL will have more to do with how many and which we keep than anything else. Thank you, and good luck to Mr. Pittman, as he knows what he's getting into. Go Dawgs!

• diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

'changes need to be made to the Georgia offensive attack going forward.'

Yep, STOP fighting it Smart. Change the offense & recruit 2-3 of the best available JC WR's.

• diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

IF Smart isn't bullheaded & makes a big change on offense. Otherwise we are going to be on the outside looking in of the NC picture.

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Losing Pittman will hurt our program. We are bound to lose a few recruits. Allowing Bobo to go to SC will hurt as he is far better than Coley.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish Pittman well at Arkansas. I have never met him but from all accounts, he's a fine man and a superb recruiter. That said, in all honesty, does ANYONE really believe that he can (even once) beat Auburn, Bama, LSU and Texas A&M (plus maybe Ole Miss and Miss State) all in the same year? That's what he would have to do just to get to the SEC Championship game. Surely, these recruits know this. I agree they may not all go to Arkansas (maybe none will) but it doesn't mean they'll still come to UGA, either. I'm pretty sure that at least 1 or 2 won't, just because they had their heart set on playing for Pittman and if they can't play for him at UGA, they'd rather be somewhere else not playing for him. But I do think we can probably hang on to 2-3 of these guys, and we supposedly had some decent guys on the bench who we could plug in next year if we sustain massive losses to the NFL. So it's cloudy in Athens right now, but the sky has not fallen. Who knows, maybe under a new line coach, we play even better. Who does Kentucky have. Despite EVERYONE knowing EXACTLY what they were going to do, they were still posting 400-plus yard rushing games every week, with a wide receiver playing QB. I think if you took an anonymous vote of the D-Lines in the SEC East, they would tell you that Kentucky had the best offensive line they faced. Go watch film of them. They just didn't have enough skill players or a defense, but their O-Line was great.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, there's a lot of miserable Dawg fans! When 10 wins were enough, those that wanted to keep Richt out numbered us that wanted change by at least two to one. How'd that work out? Richt lost his job due to complacency. He admitted that! If he were still the UGA HC, he would still be complacent and 10 wins would still be enough for the moaners and whiners who are convinced that Kirby cannot coach a lick and regardless of losses to the NFL and injuries, the offense is supposed to be a 40 point machine regardless of the quality of the opponent. 13 and two 11 win seasons be damned!

We are only three years removed from having to bring in Catalina from freakin' Rhode Island to play LEFT TACKLE. Kirby saw the need to fix that and did what needed to be done to steal Pittman from Arkansas. There's no reason to doubt that the quality of coach he hires to replace Pittman will be as good or better!

I just looked outside and the sky in not falling! For those who are miserable because 11 to 13 wins aren't good enough with Kirby's first full recruiting classes being just juniors, I pity you! The future of UGA football has never been brighter! **** and moan to your heart's content! That isn't going to change a thing at Butts-Mehre! THANK THE LORD! Kirby ain't goin' nowhere!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish Pittman nothing but the best and thank him for his four years at UGA but I am certain he will be fired after three seasons. Pittman has never even been a coordinator, now he is a head coach at arguably the worst program (currently) in the SEC. Good luck to all involved.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

I'm kind of concerned for his health. Being a head coach is stressful, and Coach Pittman is becoming a HC again at not a young age (he's 58, and I mean that as no disrespect).

If FSU is years away from righting its ship (as I've heard several say), is Arkansas in the same boat?

I wish him well, and maybe we needed a change...I'd like to know what our OL problems were in terms of opening up holes for RBs...or was it receivers that couldn't block downfield? Whatever it was, maybe we just needed to clean the offensive coaching staff house.

I guess CSP needs to get started ASAP so he won't be at the Sugar Bowl.

Can anyone shed light if they think this has affected our OL's play? How long has this been in the works?

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

What changes would you suggest?

You are very limited what you can do with a Field General running the offense. See Texas / Auburn. Run the spread and put up gaudy numbers against inferior teams and lose big to teams with good defenses …….. What do you people call the current finesse offense where the OL don't fire off the ball and the QB is always in shot-gun ….. The offense is a far cry from what Richt/Bobo run (that's was a power offense) I think it averaged lil over 40 a game in Bobos last season ….. The last year with Chaney the offense went finesse as Lanning was more and more involved until LSU destroyed us and then we went a lil more power the rest the season and Chaney left leaving us with the current FINESSE offense you guys keep trying to claim is some power based run offense

• ReddenBlaqueReddenBlaque Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

This loss might hurt Georgia with this year's recruiting, I guess that depends on how good the secondary recruiters are. But, I don't see Pittman really being a threat to Georgia on the recruiting trail in the future. Arkansas isn't much of a national recruiter they tend to get guys from close by. The more likely scenario is he hurts Tennessee, Missouri, and the two Mississippi schools if he has any affect at all. Even though he had a reputation as a good recruiter before coming to Georgia he had never had the wherewithal to recruit the types of players he has the last four years and he's not going to have that at Arkansas now either.