Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Status Quo rolls on...and the concerns mount...

alumnibillalumnibill Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I've recently seen alot of comments elsewhere about things looking like Richt 2.0. Hard not to agree as we continue to under-develop talented athletes. Only difference is we pay our current HC nearly twice the money (6.7mm vs. 3.5mm+/-) and have dropped tens of millions on upgraded facilities, fancier recruiting lounges, bigger signs, flashier stadium lights and locker rooms with more bells and whistles etc. That formula is getting the big time wins CKS has set us up to expect.

I posted a comment months ago that expressed my concern for what appears to me to be CKS's stubbornness or maybe arrogance born of quick success in 2017, or maybe just a "loyalty to a fault" mindset. Such as, did he really give JF a legitimate chance to earn the starting QB job? It would have been a gutsy and difficult call, but we all watched how it worked out for Dabo Swinney and Clemson. In any event, that is the tough calls a CFB HC is paid millions to make.

It may be a combination of all of these things, but something is clearly amiss here. We have had excellent coaching and performance on defense. This is no surprise given Kirby's background. But we have no one on the Georgia coaching staff with either the apparent ability or maybe the unobstructed path (is it really Coley or are his hands tied?) to build an explosive offense that can compete with the elite teams in CFB (and no we are not elite yet). Granted, you must still have 1-2 excellent RB's, but more so we need to recruit an develop our own modern prototypical dual threat kids with accurate, rifle arms like OSU, BAMA, Clemson and more recently LSU. Otherwise the true elite high school receivers are never coming to GA to run ghost routes 20-30 times a game and finish the season with 30-40 catches for 400-600 yards.

In Kirby's SECCG post game presser he said you build your philosophy and schemes around the players you have. It seems to me that in the big picture, you endeavor to define your philosophy and schemes to what you need to win at the highest levels and let that drive your recruiting and coaching. Continuing to stay beholden to the aging "RBU" philosophy with game manager QB's and massive offensive/defensive fronts will continue to get us many wins against lesser and equal opponents, but it will never get us to a legitimate elite level where where we are truly good enough to compete for a NC. In other words, Richt era football. We are not close right now to where want to be. I'm concerned we may be entering the realm of the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Comments

• Dawg53Dawg53 Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At Clemson, Sunshine won that job. At UGA, JF had negative yards against Ga Tech. Negative yards! And the JF chose to leave. Don’t believe Kirby told him to get lost. JF look around and didn’t think he could win the job so he transferred to a school that had a vacancy.

Big difference between Clemson and UGA freshmen last year. Furthermore, how did Kelly Bryant do in the SEC this year? Much easier decision to go with the freshman for Clemson.

• Headhunter68Headhunter68 Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree Fields left because he didn’t think he would start this year, not that he couldn’t beat Fromm out. Fields had clearly checked out by the GT game and that’s on him and probably his practice effort kept him from getting more game experience. My opinion

• Dawg53Dawg53 Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can definitely see that. Although, I do think he struggled to pick up the offense. Like most freshman do. But, I also don’t believe the narrative that the OP and countless others have floated that Kirby chose Jake out of loyalty rather than going with the be QB at the time. In hindsight I think the only way Fields stays at UGA is if Kirby had named him the starter. If Kirby does that we drop 2-3 more games and Florida/Kentucky goes to the SEC championship and Kirby gets killed by media and fans. All of that on the hope that Fields matures and becomes an elite QB.

• deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I firmly believe if we hadn't lost 5 WR to the NFL draft we wouldn't be having these kind of conversations!