Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Rodrigo Blankenship wins Lou Groza Award, named nation's top kicker

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageRodrigo Blankenship wins Lou Groza Award, named nation's top kicker

During his time in Athens, Rodrigo Blankenship grew to become a fan favorite thanks to his off-field personality and his kicking ability. And he was recognized for that ability on Thursday night when the senior was awarded the Lou Groza Award, which is given to the top kicker in the country.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CONGRATULATIONS LOU GROZA AWARD WINNER>>>Rodrigo Blankenship!!!!! What a fete and honor!!! Well earned!!! We will always remember #98's golden toe booting it through the uprights and yes winning games for UGA time and again!!! We salute you! We wish you well in the next phase of your life and beyond! Thank you!!!!

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

Congrats Rodrigo, you deserved it!!

• ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

So very proud of Rod! He certainly deserved it.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way to go Hot Rod! I know you didn't have the season you would have liked, but well deserved recognition. Thank you, not only for the football aspect of your career in Athens, but the way you represented the UGA, on and off the field as well..GoDAWGS!

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congratulations Rodrigo! Well deserved! Thank you for the great way you represented the G! Good luck in the NFL. I will follow your career with great interest. DGD! Go Dawgs!

• Jaydawg67Jaydawg67 Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

I wonder if future kickers will be scared away from coming to Uga! They could possibly use up their leg in college and have no hope of going pro with our offense!

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well deserved!!! DGD!!!

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Please, please, please wear your helmet when you pick up the award!

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bitter sweet to say the least. I will always regret that Kirby didn’t give Hot Rod the chance to kick a 60 yarder against South Carolina at the end of regulation. It would have been epic if he had made it. Kevin Butler type stratosphere. Instead, well we know what happened

As it is, the two most memorable kicks he made in his career were the game winner against Kentucky and the 50+ kick in the Rose Bowl before halftime. The miss in the 3rd quarter of the 2018 SEC Championship will forever haunt my dreams. Cost us the game and a shot at the NC. If he had made it, he would have won this award last year

Rodrigo will always be a DGD and I wish him nothing but success in the pros. Maybe with those hash marks closer together he won’t have so much trouble kicking from the left side of the field. I hope he kicks 3 FG and 4 XP’s in the Sugar Bowl. Go Dawgs.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Congrats young man, too bad we had to use you that much instead of having a competent offense and quarterback.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way to go Rodrigo!!! Congratulations sir! A well deserved honor to the man that produced most of our offense this season.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It wasn't quite 60 yards. He hit a 53(?) yarder INTO the wind, earlier in the game. With the strong wind at his back, I suspect he had a really good chance of nailing the longer one.