Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Bouillabaisse Day / National Alabama Day / National **** Day

donmedonme Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

NATIONAL BOUILLABAISSE DAY

National Bouillabaisse Day on December 14th gives seafood lovers everywhere a reason to celebrate. This flavorful fish stew hits the spot on cold winter’s day, too. 

The French are known for many great recipes. Their food inspires travel to France for a taste of the authentic. Bouillabaisse tops the list of must-have cuisine while visiting France. The tasty stew originates in the port city of Marseille and is traditionally made using the bony rockfish, saffron, fennel seed, and orange zest.

In the culinary world, strong opinions bounce around about the proper ingredients for an authentic bouillabaisse. From the fish (typically red rascasse, sea robin, and European conger) to the wine (red or white), it is hotly debated. They even argue about the soup’s origins. Did a Greek goddess create the stew? Or does the credit belong to coastal fishermen who threw the ingredients together from unsold bony rockfish? Regardless, cooks use a variety of fresh fish as their first step to a delicious bouillabaisse. It’s especially important if you can’t get to the south of France to order it made for you. Here’s a link for a simple bouillabaisse recipe:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bouillabaisse-october-2008

NATIONAL ALABAMA DAY

On December 14, National Alabama Day recognizes the Heart of Dixie.

The 22nd state to join the union, Alabama has played pivotal roles in U.S. history, scientific advancements and its magnificent landscapes attract visitors from far and wide.

Alabama enjoys 60 miles of shoreline along the Gulf Coast. While the coastal region is dotted with swamps and bayous, it also includes beautiful sandy beaches. Move northward from the coast, and the lowlands provide the fertile soils of the Black Belt, land that long yielded productive cotton crops. The Northern half of the state is dominated by the forested hills and valleys of the Appalachians.

As the original capital of the Confederacy until May of 1861 during the American Civil War, the small town of Montgomery set the stage for the secessionist government. Nearly 100 years later, the Civil Rights Movement would find a home and erupt across the state marching its vision to the rest of the country.

Agriculture, Military and Meat & Three

Bringing diversity to agriculture at a time when the boll weevil was wreaking havoc on cotton crops, George Washington Carver provided the opportunity for successful planting and harvesting of a legume that continues to be popular not only in the south but across the United States. The peanut brought new farming methods and agricultural stability to a suffering southern industry.

Home of the 332nd Fighter Group, the first African American military aviators, the science team that helped put man on the moon, and the first African American woman in space, Alabama is another state that keeps looking to the sky.

In Alabama, and all across Southern states, the meat and three will fill you up with more satisfying comfort food than you can find anywhere other than your mother’s kitchen. The restaurant style includes a mouth-watering homemade meat of your choosing – crispy fried chicken, juicy sweet ham or tender roast beef – and then a selection of three sides. A roll and dessert are usually included as well. All this is served in a relaxed, downhome atmosphere.

NATIONAL **** DAY

Every year on December 14th National **** Day celebrates unique characteristics of simians. The day also focuses on other non-human primates such as apes, tarsiers, and lemurs. 

Monkeys, also known as simians, live all over the world. More than 260 species of monkeys populate Africa, Central America, South America and Asia. They range in size from mere ounces like the pygmy marmoset to the mandrill at a heavier 80 pounds and tend to walk on all four limbs. As a member of the primate family, they are considered a lesser ape. Most monkeys have a tail, though not all do. Monkeys are divided into two categories – Old World monkeys and New World monkeys.

Their personalities and habits capture the attention of humans on many levels. These intelligent mammals with opposable thumbs live in family groups, too. However, many species of monkeys are endangered. 

helped put man on the moon, and the first African American woman in space, Alabama is another state that keeps looking to the sky.

In Alabama, and all across Southern states, the meat and three will fill you up with more satisfying comfort food than you can find anywhere other than your mother’s kitchen. The restaurant style includes a mouth-watering homemade meat of your choosing – crispy fried chicken, juicy sweet ham or tender roast beef – and then a selection of three sides. A roll and dessert are usually included as well. All this is served in a relaxed, downhome atmosphere.

Comments

• Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

I had the pleasure of bein sent to the advanced radar tech school at Redstone Arsenal. I learned the workings of the Pulse Acquisition Radar (PAR) and Range only Radar (ROR) of the HAWK Missile system while in the Corps. This was my first exposure to the South, having been born an raised in California. I fell in love with both Huntsville Alabama (my adopted home town ever since) and the South as a whole!

Huntsville Alabama is well known for developing the massive Saturn V which put man on the moon. It's also where the US built modules of the ISS were built. Now as we prepare for a return to the Moon, Huntsville is where the new lunar landers will come from. Not too mention home of the propulsion systems for New Glenn from Blue Origin.

Needless to say, Alabama is far from some backwoods hole as is sadly portrayed by the mindless mass that passes for the media. I may be from California, but I am absolutely in love with Alabama and the South overall!!

Dawgs rule!!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have some good friends from Alabama and they are lovely people, but I still feel obligated to dislike the state in general, for at least two big reasons!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If there are any other etymology fans out there, bouillabaisse is derived from two French words: bolhir (to boil) and abaissar (to reduce heat, i.e., simmer).

Also, for those who struggle to pronounce French words, think of the first syllable as BWEE rather than BOOL.

• donmedonme Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have worked and lived in Alabama as well. However, I must say that all of AL is not like Huntsville, once promoted as the smartest city in the US. Not at all like Huntsville.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have lived in AL for practically my whole life. I'm in Pike Road (about 35 minutes west of the Barn) and it's a lovely place with lovely people... until someone yells, ""ROW TIDE!!" during communion.

• Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

donme,

Agreed. The same can certainly be said for California. It's a beautiful state, mostly. The politics ruin it for me..

The real beauty is in NorCal. SoCal is nice too. I know there aren't any SC fans here but who doesn't like the SC Songgirls?!?! lol

The South is near and dear to my heart no doubt. Dawgs rule!!