Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 reasons Georgia's offense will change this offseason

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

image3 reasons Georgia's offense will change this offseason

ATHENS — Georgia’s offense is in for some offseason changes, but there’s no way to know exactly how big or what it might look like. What we do know is that the philosophy won’t change much — if at all — under Coach Kirby Smart. The Bulldogs are going to be balanced, be able to run the ball when necessary, prioritize

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

“You have an offense that’s built around the players you have,” Smart said. “

So ,if Fromm returns the O stays the same ?

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Rosemy is a perfect addition. Arian Smith and Washington are must gets for this offense. If those three commit to the G, they will get a ton of playing time in 2020 once they learn the playbook. Praying they make the right decision.

Go Dawgs-GATA on the recruiting trail!

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

'and look to make explosive plays' & 'That’s exactly what the Bulldogs did this season. It led to another Top 5 ranking, complete with three wins over Top 15 teams.'

Mike

What channel did you watch UGA's alternate season on?

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

'Some crow Georgia needs to emulate offenses at LSU and Alabama, but those in tune recognize UGA (or any program) needs the same sort of talent those programs have in the receivers room to replicate the same sort of success.'

Mike

Georgia will never recruit the WR position like 'those other programs' as long as they are a run-heavy offense.

'Luke, who has worked with some of the most noted offensive minds and coordinators in the coaching profession, from Phillip Fulmer, to David Cutcliffe, Hugh Freeze and Rich Rodriguez, will be instrumental as a position coach and contributor in brainstorming sessions.' Coley and Luke will work closely together during offseason modifications to the Bulldogs’ base offensive package around the team’s skill position talent and quarterback’s ability.'

Mike

I agree with you on Cutcliffe, & I hope you're right about the 'brainstorming', but you're starting to sound like Gary Danielson.

After Fromm's season he really doesn't have a reason to leave early for the NFL. Hopefully he will bounce back as a senior.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Uhhhhh...... are you denying that UGA is #5 and has three wins over Top 15 teams? If so, what alternate universe do you live in?

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wash St. has 3 Sr's 1 Jr. among their top 4 wide receivers... UGA got hammered with the early exits last year and then injuries on top of that. Had a full cupboard end of regular season but suddenly all the defections. Good recruiting with Pickins and Blaylock but you dont get that 5* production in year 1. Move on!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is at least one Poet who doesn't know it on here.

• Options
    tomdatltomdatl Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Keep doing what we are doing and we will get there. Yes very frustrating watching our offense this year, but I am confident it will improve. Going to have another top 5 class and if I am not wrong our current team is one of the youngest in the league.

My guess is Fromm is returning and I bet the coaches already know his decision. A forth year starter in Fromm is probably better than 98% of the other teams in the country.

Reading a great many of these post and I am just waiting of he Fire Kirby to come out. Probably the same posters that wanted Fromm over Eason before Fromm even stepped on the field, and are now saying we let the true best QB go in Fields.

Some people just like to complain.

I am very thankful I got to watch us in the last 3 SEC chamionships and one NC game. Was disappointed and frustrated with the outcomes, but in order to get to the Championship whether SEC or National you have to risk disappointment.

We will eventually cross the line. Do you not think we are closer to the finish that we were before Kirby took over.

Would you rather be FLA, Auburn, Tenn, or countless other SEC schools.

Need to show up and beat Baylor and then start getting ready for BAMA.

• Options
    TfbTfb Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Hopefully Coley and Luke will cooperate with each other to improve our offense.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am on a different path here.......If we schemed so aggressively against LSU and did not execute....why did we ignore this same game plan against others, rather than limping across the goal line game after game depending on Hot Rod to win?? Was Coley on Red Bull just for LSU? I am a simple person. I don't get what UGA is thinking at times. You know what? I believe hiring Matt Luke will rectify some of these questions bedeviling the offense. This guy was a solid head coach and can teach Coley and Smart a lot about setting up a much more effective dual attack system. He sat under some of the best. UGA needs to do something. Just maybe Luke can make a difference. Elsewise 2020 Commit Rosemy will need a nail file at wide receiver.

• Options
    bhamdawgbhamdawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

Players and plays go hand in hand. I believe cook was under utilized. Kirby said it himself about LSU RB, he's a matchup nightmare. So Swift or Cook not a matchup nightmare within the passing game?

Okay, receivers couldn't beat man coverage. Coaches knew this early on in the season. Seemed they never schemed to beat man coverage. Such as rub routes, crossing routes, etc.. So keep drinking the Kool aid and listening to the coaches speak.

The best play calling we had all year was the SECCG, which there was poor execution. It leads me to believe there is hope, I'll just wait and see before I get excited. Running a spread offense without a QB with just a little bit of mobility will not work. Fromm's lack of ability to pull the ball and run will always be a liability in this offensive play style.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Until we do something, this is all just more "blah, blah, blah," in my opinion. I'm 100 percent on board with @MontanaDawg. We've been close but to me, Kirby ain't getting $7 million-plus to get close. The fact that Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma repeatedly make the CFP playoffs proves that it can be done and with all of these great recruiting classes UGA continually racks up, I really don't understand why we aren't in that group. And I like Matt Luke (or at least what I've heard about Matt Luke) as much as anyone. But this idea that he's going to come in and we're going to be so much better on the offensive side of the ball because he's now in the room, is far-fetched. CKS is too stubborn to really listen to anyone. He's going to do it his way come hell or high water. Want proof? If he was REALLY going to change, we would have a new OC in place by now. Look around college football. Texas fell flat this year and Tom Herman cleaned house on his staff. Notre Dame had a very good year and Brian Kelley still fired his OC. And last year, after a pretty good (but not championship) season, Ed Ogeron said, "we need to change," and he went and hired Joe Brady. My point is, good teams looking to become great teams don't stand still. Like the TV commercial says, "Just OK really isn't OK." Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going into this season, there was reason to believe we had a superior offensive line and would be able to dicate the tempo in every game of the season. With a three year starter at qb and a Heisman caliber running back, it looked like we had a leg up on most of tge teams in the country. "Alas and alack," that O-line did not show up and we still won the East. Never have been a coach so no point in commenting on what I would have done. 11-2, nothing to really complain about.