Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia coordinator James Coley reveals offensive issues, assesses Jake Fromm

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia coordinator James Coley reveals offensive issues, assesses Jake Fromm

Georgia offensive coordinator James Coley provided insight into the Bulldogs struggles, explaining Jake Fromm's statistical dropoff entering the Sugar Bowl

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Same old same old that Coley has stated all season.. Didn't see much of getting playmakers the ball and showing why they were recruited.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Compare UGA OC Coley with OC Steve Ensminger of LSU...no contest. Not even close. After soundly beating UGA, Ensminger literally trashed Oklahoma 63-28 last night....even after the loss of his daughter-in-law in a plane crash on the way to the game!! LSU is in its own orbit! God help Clemson in the NC game.

• ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

After reading the comments you would think we were 2-11 rather than 11-2. I am more concerned with players who do not value the challenge of a bowl game!

• harleydawgharleydawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

With the fact that e have W/R issues, we need more T/E and running back involvement....in the form of across the middle and halfback passes in the backfield. Above all we need "first down" mentality..unless it's 2nd and 1 or 2 yards...then go for the bomb ...you still have 3rd. down to make 1 or 2 yards. Instead, we go ahead and get the first down(or try) on 2nd. and short. Everybody loves to see "the bombs", but you have to "deal with the cards you are dealt".

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is interesting that Coach Ensminger was at UGA for a couple years as the QB coach and PGC.

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coley resigning would help our team tremendously.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By all accounts, Joe Brady is the difference in LSU's passing game. Of course, ignore the fact that LSU has four SEC quality receivers to zero for UGA.

• harleydawgharleydawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

"Screens"....that's word I was trying to think of...I'm old I have an excuse. Especially if they're blitzing. We need to find ways of making yardage with what we have. I'm in total agreement with Kirby taking only those that "want to play"...that's the first order of business. I am encouraged by the fact that we have rotated so many throughout the season, it's not like we're "stating from scratch", especially with our O line and backs. Go Dawgs!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If UGA remains status quo...ByrdMan... they will likely be in that negative situation next season. But I do not believe UGA will be the same chopping wood Dawgs of late. Much improved recruiting in the WR position. Has Kirby seen the kliegs? Looks like it. All the elite teams have and are in the playoffs. Baylor has as well and you will be a firsthand spectator next Wed. I am still somewhat optimistic we will give Baylor an unforgettable game....GO DAWGS!!!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of course, Coley may as well be farting in the wind when it comes to stating the obvious and using logic to explain the issues with the offense this year! The obvious and logic is the last thing DN wants to hear! Fire the OC on a yearly basis and kick the QB to the curb that has a very similar completion percentage and QBR as the reigning Heisman winner for their respective careers.

If ignorance is bliss, what seems like the majority of DN should be the most blissful fans in the nation rather than the most miserable!

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't for a second believe Fromm forgot how to quarterback, pass or plan. I still believe him to be an exceptional player that has been instrumental in our 3 straight division championships and 1 conference championship. Be honest, we would have 2 SEC championships a National Championship if our coaching didn't break down at the end of games. And Fromm would have been the QB with those titles.

You want to lament the loss of fields...? He was not a fit at the time at UGA but if he had stayed he would have likely played this year and definitely started the next 2. I'm sorry, he was a freshman coming in and backing up a QB playing that led a team to the NC. What the heck did he expect? Sure, he flourished at ohio but that is a different program. He made up stories to get out of his commitment to UGA so I could not care less about him.

But we lost receivers (a lot!), our OC changed and so did the QB coach. I don't know what was being coached at practice and neither do you but those changes can and will hurt a team and make a good player struggle. Think about it like a group project at school. It isn't fair because one **** team member doesn't do their work and the entire group gets a D on the project. Welcome to your group project grade.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there anyway we can get Chip Towers back on DawgNation? The reporting is very slack concerning the Sugar Bowl and the story lines associated with our Dawgs. As far as the offense, yes it is Coley’s fault. He’s the QB coach too so he is the reason Fromm regressed this year. Our only hope for next year’s O to be any better is for someone to come **** Coley away from us.

• BibbCountyDawgBibbCountyDawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Throw the receiver group under the bus then hoist the QB on a pedestal. Great look, Coley. No. It's incredulous, and reckless for Coley to lay the offensive problems squarely on the receiving corps. I don't llke it, and have little respect for Coley for doing it.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's great he can identify the problem, but he didn't do anything to fix it. Route running was definitely a problem, but if you continue to let that cripple your offense, then you're at fault for not coaching them up and for selecting too many plays that rely on precise stop routes. You don't need 4 all-world guys to be able to create matchups you can exploit.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here, here @BibbCountyDawg. I read this article and all I could glean from it was that Fromm remains an elite QB -- as long as Lawrence Cager is playing -- and all of our other receivers are mere slugs who made All-American Jake look bad with their piss-poor route running.

Here's the deal, UGA knew ALL pre-season that the team would lack experience at wide receiver. Cager was being counted on to help but he wasn't supposed to be the go-to guy. That task, remember, was expected to fall to senior Tyler Simmons. So how is it that the BEST receiver, the one who, according to Coley, makes Jake great, is the guy who just transferred in, just shows up in the summer and has to learn a new offensive system as opposed to: Simmons, a returning senior; Demetris Roberson; a returning redshirt junior; Kearis Jackson, a returning redshirt sophomore and Matt Landers, a sophomore. In addition to them, we signed a 5-star receiver and a 4-star who had once been a 5-star. And somehow, with all of those guys, none of them, NOT ONE, either individually or as a group (plus the tight ends and running backs), could elevate his game to the level to equal that of Cager, the transfer, and thus Jake Fromm suffered? That's very hard to believe but if true, then it takes me back to what @97GradyDawg said at the beginning of this post string; does this mean the fault lies with receivers coach Cortez Hankton and the other receivers coaches. I mean, over the course of 12-13 games, you'd think SOMEONE in that group could be coached up enough to take over for Cager (who we still didn't see as Fromm's security blanket until the Florida contest, the 8th game of the season). The fact that Coley, as offensive coordinator and QB coach, couldn't figure out how to get that done, is both troubling and depressing.

• Gaowens58Gaowens58 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I fill that the coaching was a let down to the players. I blame CS for this to happen. We have the best talent in the nation. Jake could be as good as Joe Burrow with the right coaching staff. The OL was never as good as folks made them out to be. They got pushed around real easy. The WR was not what they could be. The defense is why we are 11-2. What was done this year the players natural talent got them there. Think about if we had coaching talent like our players has talent. We would be unstoppable. Maybe 2020 we will see.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coley might be a goof